The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by chenricy »

Wear the heck out of it, good enough for me!
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

Bartram wrote:Ordered my first Penman today!

Talked to John for a while on the phone. What a guy. What a hat.
I can't wait.

B
:tup: :tup:
Totally agree I think John is a class act! I'm traveling right now but I'll post soon on my great experience with John...he saved my Penman Fedora! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I promise you, you will love your hat!
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

So John, I just saw that they are going to make another Indy film with Harrison Ford, do you have any idea if you will be able to make the hats for the movie? We've had our differences but I can honestly say I hope you first of all want to do it and second will get asked to do it. I know Steve isn't up for it and no one else has the skill, knowledge and materials to do it justice. If this was posted somewhere else, my apologies as I didn't see it.

regards, fedoralover
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

I'd be thrilled to see Indy in a Penman this time around. There is no other logical choice as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!
David!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

david_h wrote:I'd be thrilled to see Indy in a Penman this time around. There is no other logical choice as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!
David!
Amen! :TOH: W>
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

+1
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

+2
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

John would be the most logical choice by far.

However, based on what happened to Steve I'd recommend he create an alias, establish a separate brand, tell no-one, use a PO Box in Maine and charge $1,500 for copies. :TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

John is the man to go to. Unless that would make my hat pushed back more then NOOO!
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

so everyone knows John thanks us for the support, this was from my hat order update email:

On Mar 19, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Me wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for everything, everyone on COW is pulling for you to get the phone call from the studio.

Charles

Thanks. I wish I could say thank you to everyone who is supporting me.

Sent from my iPhone
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I think we are going to have to be quite patient on this one. Until a script is written, reviewed, revised, locations picked, needs evaluated, on and on and on to etc.+, then costuming and a costume director will come into play and then yet another series of steps will begin including....... You get the idea :-k . Patience, one and all -- patience. W>

ps: John: Have they called yet :- ?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Who else?

Here is what he did with my AB beaver. Total refurb. I had him reblock with his raiders block. Sent open crowned.

Here it is bashed with turn

What do you think of the bash?
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Totally awesome!

This is my Raiders Fedora, under different lighting conditions. While on vacation, out on my wife's family ranch, we got a freak thunder storm! The hat got drenched! In my ignorance/ inexperience I popped out the creases and totally messed up the hat. #-o (I ended up making my Fedora look like a road-killed boonie hat) It was a gift from my wife for finally graduating college. I can't even tell you how much this gift ment to me, not to mention how crushed I was after I messed up the hat! My spirit looked as crushed as the hat...sorry COW members don't have any before pics, I couldn't even bring myself to look at it. Well, long story short, after a phone conversation with John, I sent him the hat and this was the end result!!! Thank you John! John's miracle work brought back my favorite Raiders Hat!

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... piegmu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... f99odh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... pki4tq.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by dorian.jedi.master on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

That color is perfect.
Nice hat.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Jeremiah wrote:Who else?

Here is what he did with my AB beaver. Total refurb. I had him reblock with his raiders block. Sent open crowned.

Since you asked for opinions, I think it looks great and I think he did a great job. However my only criticism is that the swoop looks a tad overdone, or exaggerated if you will. Maybe loud is the correct word, I'm not entirely sure. It almost detracts from the hat itself. But the bash looks great, color, everything. I think it looks like a great refurb and Jeremiah you wear it well. It does not "wear you" at all.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks Chris.
Yeah you are right about the swoop in that pic. It's not always like that but for that pic it's certainly more pronounced.
I think the gentleman behind Indy had the same thought :mrgreen:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Jeremiah wrote:Thanks Chris.
Yeah you are right about the swoop in that pic. It's not always like that but for that pic it's certainly more pronounced.
I think the gentleman behind Indy had the same thought :mrgreen:

Indeed! Haha It happens with hats. Some of my cowboy hats are like that. Usually look good but sometimes catch a mirror at a weird angle and makes you double take!
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

dorian.jedi.master wrote:Totally awesome!

This is my Raiders Fedora, under different lighting conditions. While on vacation, out on my wife's family ranch, we got a freak thunder storm! The hat got drenched! In my ignorance/ inexperience I popped out the creases and totally messed up the hat. #-o (I ended up making my Fedora look like a road-killed boonie hat) It was a gift from my wife for finally graduating college. I can't even tell you how much this gift ment to me, not to mention how crushed I was after I messed up the hat! My spirit looked as crushed as the hat...sorry COW members don't have any before pics, I couldn't even bring myself to look at it. Well, long story short, after a phone conversation with John, I sent him the hat and this was the end result!!! Thank you John! John's miracle work brought back my favorite Raiders Hat!

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... piegmu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... f99odh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... pki4tq.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for sharing! So whats the advice you have for a new hat owner when it gets drenched?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Pop out the creases and let it dry completely in natural room temperature air. Do not use heat.
When dry give it a good brushing and put creases back in.
Depending how soaked it got it should be just fine.
If your head got wet with the hat on then it may have soaked to the core but you are probably good.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Jeremiah wrote:Pop out the creases and let it dry completely in natural room temperature air. Do not use heat.
When dry give it a good brushing and put creases back in.
Depending how soaked it got it should be just fine.
If your head got wet with the hat on then it may have soaked to the core but you are probably good.
Thanks! :lol:
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

chenricy wrote:
dorian.jedi.master wrote:Totally awesome!

Thanks for sharing! So whats the advice you have for a new hat owner when it gets drenched?
My advice is to do exactly John told me...LEAVE IT ALONE! Hahaha! put the hat on a hat rack, pop out the creases and don't touch the brim. (Oops..The creases can be put back later)let it sit there till its completely dry and normally the hat finds its shape again. But under extreme circumstances, it's better to get the help of expert ;) (thanks John!)
Last edited by dorian.jedi.master on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Really? I could swear It was John who told me to pop the creases out. I may be mistaken. Funny.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's what Steve Delk (Fedora) of AB said back in 2010:
If you REALLY want to know how a particular brand will hold up to the elements all it takes is leaving the hat in a summer hot car for a couple of hours. If the hat tapers and shrinks, don't wear this brand in the rain!

A quality felt will NOT shrink and taper in a hot car. I have owned some brands, that tapered while on my head, in the heat of the South.

Any hat that you are to wear in the rain, has to have regular water repellant treatments. The key to this is to keep the core from getting saturated with water. Water repellant, regular treatments, will minimize this from happening. Also, never dry a wet or damp hat in a hot room. Put it somewhere where the temp is not above 75 degrees. So that it will dry very slowly.

And punch it out to open crown when drying.

Another benefit of the repellant treatment is it works like Scotchguard. It resists stains. That might come in handy if you want to keep your lighter colored hats, stain free. Fedora
Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks Michaelson. Guess that is where I read that.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Agreed. Thanks everyone for all the input, this gear is too expensive for me to learn on my own!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

That's coming from a guy that just spent too much $$ on a piece of gear ... lol !! Chenricy !! :TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

micsteam wrote:That's coming from a guy that just spent too much $$ on a piece of gear ... lol !! Chenricy !! :TOH:
lol OMG the definition of insanity huh!

To be fair once you drop a grand on a Morgan 10 footer, YOU MIGHT AS WELL get the hat for 600 and YOU MIGHT AS WELL get the shoes for 500 AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL get the jacket for 400 and on and on and on.....

It is a deep rabbit's hole but I don't regret it at all :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just keep in mind, these aren't 'investments' as such. As with most 'disposables', they lose value as soon as they leave the craftsman and touch your head/body, and are looked upon as 'used clothing' in the secondary market.

Once you get that into your brain, you realize that these are now working tools, and should be enjoyed as such.

You also get what you pay for in this field, so buy the best you can afford. No regrets down the road when you do.

You'll never get your money back out of them, so put them to good use and wear them. Regularly.

Life is too short, so get out there and put them to good use.

Regard! Michaelson
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:Just keep in mind, these aren't 'investments' as such. As with most 'disposables', they lose value as soon as they leave the craftsman and touch your head/body, and are looked upon as 'used clothing' in the secondary market.

Once you get that into your brain, you realize that these are now working tools, and should be enjoyed as such.

You also get what you pay for in this field, so buy the best you can afford. No regrets down the road when you do.

You'll never get your money back out of them, so put them to good use and wear them. Regularly.

Life is too short, so get out there and put them to good use.

Regard! Michaelson
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have been wanting this stuff for 35 years so the only regret I have is waiting so long. If you do it piecemeal then the hit on the wallet is not so bad I just waited too long. Having a blast though!

Charles
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

OMG SHE IS FINISHED AND ON THE PENMAN WEBSITE!

TELL ME that doesn't look like it belongs behind glass...
Last edited by chenricy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

And the only thing that completes getting that hat is to talk John Penman himself to take a selfie with it!

That guy is a class act and customer service is bar none! Hope he gets the next Indy movie.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Agreed! Now, what hat is John wearing? Great lid, John! You are looking great here! W>
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

He is looking dapper I must admit... Also can't help but notice the nice whip and sankara stone back there either :TOH:
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Awesome hat buddy! Congrats, another awesome Masterpiece from John. MY problem now is, you're making me get an itch for another Fedora! Your hat looks spot on Raiders!

Dorian
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Normally I'd say 'sorry' but if I did I wouldn't mean it! John called me to say he was putting it in the mail so I asked him if he would put fast shipping if I paid for it. He said it would be an additional 20 bucks to go from Monday to the Friday before (today!) and I said "yes please!" He laughed of course and did it for me anyway. Thanks for the compliments, she is a beaut and worth the 35 year wait. \:D/
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Very nice. Congrats.
I am loving mine.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Glad to hear it! Happy to be 'in the club'.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Congrats, hope you enjoy it for many years. A good hat is a worthy companion for any day.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

ChrisMD wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Who else?

Since you asked for opinions, I think it looks great and I think he did a great job. However my only criticism is that the swoop looks a tad overdone, or exaggerated if you will. Maybe loud is the correct word, I'm not entirely sure. It almost detracts from the hat itself. But the bash looks great, color, everything. I think it looks like a great refurb and Jeremiah you wear it well. It does not "wear you" at all.
I would like a moment for rebuttal here :-k ! You are probably correct about it being 'overdone', but I've got to admit when I saw this photo, I played with my ABL working at getting the same frontal look on it, just because I thought it looked pretty cool here :TOH: ! My hat didn't want to hold the look all that long and kept going back into the standard 'swoop', but I do kinda like this approach! Just my two centabos here! Great looking hat buddy and you wear it well! W>
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks.
I do believe the angle of the photo betrays the true look bit like you, I like it.
I think it goes to show that Johns block for the raiders is awesome.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Jeremiah, that is one fine lookin lid, nice job on the bash. Keep that up and you might start seeing PM's for you to bash other's lid's. :notworthy: :notworthy:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Croft :mrgreen:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks Croft.
To give credit though, I watched John's video and it helped for sure.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

One must always learn from a master. :TOH:
You did a nice job.

Croft :mrgreen:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Ok. Here ya go. Be honest. :mrgreen:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thank you everyone for your support and I will re-read everything in the next couple of days and thank each of you personally the best I can as I'm very overwhelmed by all of them. Thanks again.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

chenricy wrote:Got another month to wait before I get mine finally, any advice from anyone that has had theirs for a while now?

A little tlc will go a long way. Brushing you hat will not only keep it clean but keep the nap tight. Tight nap helps the hat hold up. Of you get laughter in the rain just let it dry naturally in room temp. If not wearing it regular put it in its Penman hat box as not to let the critters at it. As for the sweatband a little cleaning and leather treatment from time to time will also none helpful but for the most part just wear her and not worry.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I can't wait.

B

Thank you, I enjoyed talking with you.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

dorian.jedi.master wrote:

I can't wait.

B
:tup: :tup:
Totally agree I think John is a class act! I'm traveling right now but I'll post soon on my great experience with John...he saved my Penman Fedora! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I promise you, you will love your hat!

Thank you very much for the kind words.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fedoralover wrote:So John, I just saw that they are going to make another Indy film with Harrison Ford, do you have any idea if you will be able to make the hats for the movie? We've had our differences but I can honestly say I hope you first of all want to do it and second will get asked to do it. I know Steve isn't up for it and no one else has the skill, knowledge and materials to do it justice. If this was posted somewhere else, my apologies as I didn't see it.

regards, fedoralover

Of cource i would want to do indy 5 hats and I am prepared for it and have talked with Steve recently.

I have no I'll will towards you my friend and thank you for the kind words.