My Modified and Naturally Distressed Dorfman Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

My Modified and Naturally Distressed Dorfman Fedora

Post by IndianaHenry »

Just thought you all might enjoy seeing how I've reshaped and worn in one of those stiff $60 Wool Felt Dorfman Pacific Indy hats. I began attempting to reshape the crown and curve/loosen up the brim by working it with my hands from the moment I got it last Christmas, and I made a lot more progress on it over the summer while I was in Europe. I also broke it in really well by walking all over London in it during the hottest summer there in 130 years. Check it out and let me know what you think! :TOH:

P.S. I'm still very new on posting, so if I've broken any sort of protocol with my pic posting, please do let me know! :-k

Bullwhip practice in Germany

Holding The Poet fedora at Herbert Johnson in London

Hanging my hat on the rail at 13 Old Burlington in London (The original location of Herbert Johnson hat shop where Spielberg and Ford ordered the first Raiders hat, I believe)

With "The Poet"
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Modified and Naturally Distressed Dorfman Fedora

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow, you've done a great job with your DP. :clap:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

That Poet really seems to have the YIJC look.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Please tell me that you bought a Poet while you were at Herbert Johnson! I mean... how could you walk in there with a DP on your head and leave empty-handed in good conscience?! That's a crime tantamount to visiting Wested Leather and only browsing. You HAVE to buy a jacket if you go there!!! :D

P.S.- I picked up one of those hat boxes on eBay last year. Cost a fortune to have it shipped, but totally worth it as I've wanted one since I got my HJ Poet back in the day:

IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Wow, you've done a great job with your DP. :clap:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it for the kind of hat it is. :)
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

whipwarrior wrote:Please tell me that you bought a Poet while you were at Herbert Johnson! I mean... how could you walk in there with a DP on your head and leave empty-handed in good conscience?! That's a crime tantamount to visiting Wested Leather and only browsing. You HAVE to buy a jacket if you go there!!! :D

P.S.- I picked up one of those hat boxes on eBay last year. Cost a fortune to have it shipped, but totally worth it as I've wanted one since I got my HJ Poet back in the day:

Hahaha. Believe me, I'd love to have a Poet in my collection someday. But at the time, I didn't have the 250-300 pounds to drop on a single hat. I'm a college student. ;)

Besides, this DP has sentimental value because my sweet girlfriend did a ton of research and bought me the best Indy hat she could afford. Makes all the work I've done on it that much more worth it. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And there's the key - you took a hat and made it an old friend with your history. :tup:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

You could've pulled this line: "Honey, if you really loved me, you would've gotten a Herbert Johnson." :Plymouth:

:lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndianaHenry wrote:
Besides, this DP has sentimental value because my sweet girlfriend did a ton of research and bought me the best Indy hat she could afford. Makes all the work I've done on it that much more worth it. :TOH:
THAT'S what counts! We 'love' our hats, but the ones that have stories,the so called 'provenance', are the ones we love the most, regardless of who made them.

You've done a wonderful job on that DP! Congratulations!

HIGH regard! Michaelson :M:
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Michaelson wrote:
IndianaHenry wrote:
THAT'S what counts! We 'love' our hats, but the ones that have stories,the so called 'provenance', are the ones we love the most, regardless of who made them.

You've done a wonderful job on that DP! Congratulations!

HIGH regard! Michaelson :M:

Thanks so much, Michaelson! :D
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

It truly is 'what is in the mind and more importantly, in the heart,' which makes us happy and comfortable with what we have, not that which is not of our most specific of desires. All are merely 'possessions', without an honest love for what they mean to us! You have a wonderful gift here and you show your love for it. What more could anyone require? :tup: , Great hat and wonderful background to it's meaning in your life! W>
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

That's probably the best looking DP I've ever seen. It's amazing to me that you actually got the center dent to look good! Well done! :TOH:
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

WConly wrote:It truly is 'what is in the mind and more importantly, in the heart,' which makes us happy and comfortable with what we have, not that which is not of our most specific of desires. All are merely 'possessions', without an honest love for what they mean to us! You have a wonderful gift here and you show your love for it. What more could anyone require? :tup: , Great hat and wonderful background to it's meaning in your life! W>
I agree completely, and thank you for the kind words!

The more time I spend on these Indy forums, the more I see that it isn't about everyone attaining the absolute, most perfect Indy gear; it's about the journey, the love for the Indiana Jones saga, and the fun of just collecting the gear!

It's nice to find others that share my hobby!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

You forgot 'the joy of breaking the bank'!
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

anindyjones wrote:That's probably the best looking DP I've ever seen. It's amazing to me that you actually got the center dent to look good! Well done! :TOH:
Thanks so much! It took a good six months of steady working with it to get the shape just how I wanted it. Goes to show that you don't have to spend $300 on a fedora to get a reasonably accurate Indy hat, if you have enough creativity and determination. :whip:
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

whipwarrior wrote:You forgot 'the joy of breaking the bank'!
Haha. Oh yes, we can't forget that one. The things we do for our hobby, eh? :roll:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It's all about priorities. Children are starving in Ethiopia (or India), and we're dropping mortgage payments on custom-tailored fedoras, leather jackets, and bullwhips. "You call this archaeology?" :lol:
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Good work on that hat mate. I enjoyed reading your post. There was some cool pics that show us the journeys you've been on with your gear and the charming story of your girlfriends efforts to get that hat for you. I've just started my collection and right now it's all about those illusive penny's. However, I think you've highlighted an important aspect by simply enjoying the experience. I hope that makes sense. All the best.
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Dangerfreak wrote:Good work on that hat mate. I enjoyed reading your post. There was some cool pics that show us the journeys you've been on with your gear and the charming story of your girlfriends efforts to get that hat for you. I've just started my collection and right now it's all about those illusive penny's. However, I think you've highlighted an important aspect by simply enjoying the experience. I hope that makes sense. All the best.
Thanks, amigo! Oh yes, those pennies are ever elusive for me as well. :P But that just makes the hunt for gear that much more interesting, and satisfying when you come across a great find for a good deal. Case in point. I just scored a Wested lambskin Indy jacket on eBay for a $100 total! When we have a tight budget, we do get a lot more clever and resourceful in finding our gear. 8-[]

You've made perfect sense, and I appreciate your comments! I also told my girlfriend about everyone complimenting the hat and her efforts in buying it, and she thought it was so sweet. :)
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I quite agree IndianaHenry. When the money is there to splash out on something, there's nothing like opening that package when it finally arrives. Speaking of which, nice deal on that jacket, what a bargain! :TOH:
It's nice that your girlfriend appreciates your hobby. My wife and step daughter are both Indy fans, although my wife often tries to suppress a smirk when I get into high levels of 'nerdery' about stuff. On the plus side, the family does get involved. Once my step daughter and I got dressed up to watch Temple of Doom and we ended up re-enacting scenes from the film. My wife took some photo's and we all had a good laugh, especially when two dining chairs became a mine cart :o . It was fun to share our love of the films together.
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Dangerfreak wrote:I quite agree IndianaHenry. When the money is there to splash out on something, there's nothing like opening that package when it finally arrives. Speaking of which, nice deal on that jacket, what a bargain! :TOH:
It's nice that your girlfriend appreciates your hobby. My wife and step daughter are both Indy fans, although my wife often tries to suppress a smirk when I get into high levels of 'nerdery' about stuff. On the plus side, the family does get involved. Once my step daughter and I got dressed up to watch Temple of Doom and we ended up re-enacting scenes from the film. My wife took some photo's and we all had a good laugh, especially when two dining chairs became a mine cart :o . It was fun to share our love of the films together.
Absolutely. It's so fun just planning and anticipating the acquisition of gear. I even like to make stuff! I handmade my own version of the Raiders gun holster. Yeah, I was afraid to take the risk on the jacket over eBay because I wasn't certain about the size. But I figured, for a Wested, it was worth the risk... and it paid off. :D

Yes, it is! She loves that I'm a costumer! She has bought me three different components for my Indy costume, as a matter of fact. Awww, that's so fun! Temple of Doom was my first Indy experience when I was like 9 years old. I think it's a great first one for kids. :D It's awesome that you can share that with your family.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

We would all love to see the holster. Well at least I would.
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Jeremiah wrote:We would all love to see the holster. Well at least I would.
Okey dokey! It's a rough pic, but I'll post it and make a new thread for it under General Gear.
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

Jeremiah wrote:We would all love to see the holster. Well at least I would.
I posted a pic of my holster under "Guns and Holsters" if you or anyone else is still interested. ;)
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Where in NC are you located Indiana Henry? Good to have a fellow Tarheel around here :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Best looking DP I've seen so far! Can't believe they fail to make a good replica hat when working with the owners of the original who KNOW how it's suppose to look like!
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

anindyjones wrote:Where in NC are you located Indiana Henry? Good to have a fellow Tarheel around here :TOH:

Hello! I'm not terribly far from Raleigh! Yes, it is interesting to find other NC folks on here. Any cool Indy events ever happen around NC?
IndianaHenry
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaHenry »

MARQ wrote:Best looking DP I've seen so far! Can't believe they fail to make a good replica hat when working with the owners of the original who KNOW how it's suppose to look like!

Thanks! I've put a lot of work into it. I know! You'd think they would've tried for a little more accuracy. Guess that's what the higher-end fedoras are for. Maybe it takes more work than it seems to make a really accurate one, and it would take more money to make it. Who knows. :-k
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

IndianaHenry wrote:
anindyjones wrote:Where in NC are you located Indiana Henry? Good to have a fellow Tarheel around here :TOH:

Hello! I'm not terribly far from Raleigh! Yes, it is interesting to find other NC folks on here. Any cool Indy events ever happen around NC?
Yes there's a big comic con coming up in Charlotte in April and one in Hickory on the 30th I'll be attending. Good to have you man :TOH: