Sleeping in Your Jacket? Results?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Sleeping in Your Jacket? Results?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I read a while back on a different forum that one way to distress a jacket was to wear it to sleep. Many people seemed to support this notion, but not too many supporting pictures were shown. So that made me wonder... Has anyone ever tried this with an Indy?

And the second best distressing method is to wet a jacket and wear dry. So why not combine the two and jump in and out of a shower to get your jacket wet, and then go to sleep in it? Sounds absolutely uncomfortable, but who knows? Anyone brave enough to take a dip? Anyone already done so? Pictures!!!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sleeping in Your Jacket? Results?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Personally I'm not a fan of the wet-and-wear jacket idea, but some here swear by it.

I did sleep in a new jacket a few years ago while my Bride was out of town so I didn't have to deal with the, "What are you doing?!" question. I did not notice a change in the jacket, but it was only a couple of nights. I think you would get the same results wearing the jacket during the day for 4-5 hours straight.

The alternative to wearing the jacket to bed is to ball it up in a pillowcase and sleep with it/use it as a pillow. Could be similar results.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

I'm a big fan of the wet and wear method. I've done that on all my jacket and it's amazing everytime. And i've never slept in a jacket, so i don't know if it's useful or not.
Pygar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pygar »

Wetting the bed, regardless of *how*, is unlikely to have a high Female Acceptance Factor...
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I have no experience with wetting and wearing.

Sleeping in it? Many times with my goat G&B Expo. You get the natural creasing of the arms, and some nice wrinkling everywhere else. I find that my sleep isn't sound while wearing it because I'm still semi-conscious of laying on the strap buckles and trying not to pull on the side vents when shifting sleeping positions.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

We had a huge thread with natural distressing techniques a while back. I took that members advice and slept in it, worked wonders. I also balled it up and put it in a pillow case and slept with it as a body pillow type thing. The warmth from your body supposedly helps it loosen up.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I tried the sleeping with the jacket on and all it did was put some funky creases in the leather.

I have run about 3 of my jacket through a rinse cycle. Always used pecards after it dried. After the first 2 jackets, I decided just to wear the rest and let them age naturally. The one I did a couple days ago got doused with soda and I put it in the rinse. Did not want to as it is my G&B in goat but I put a good coat of pecards on it and did my first wipe down today. Will do the final wipe down tomorrow.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I have tried sleeping in a new jacket and it meant a very restless night, and the jacket ended up taken off and thrown on the floor during the night! :) Didn't achieve much.

Now I tend to do a hot water spritz with a hand held shower head then shake off and wear for a couple of hours.

Also when dry I knead the leather by hand whilst watching TV which breaks it in, softens it and allows the grain to pop up.