Aldens 405's fit

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Aldens 405's fit

Post by Jeremiah »

Do you find these run a half size or whole size bigger? I was told that they do run bigger.
So for me wearing a size 7 in tennis sneakers I would be looking at either 6- 6.5
Unsure about width.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Aldens 405's fit

Post by Glenville86 »

I usually wear a 12M in most boots and regular shoes. In the 405 I wear an 11.5M. So for me they run a 1/2 larger than my regular size.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

It's a roomier shoe. What basically makes it orthopedic is its bigger volume, to allow for orthotics and various inserts. That's basically it. The heel is orthopedic because of the shape, which adds stability to a foot that may be elevated by orthotics. Although I have many variants of the Trubalance last that have a standard heel.

Alden makes boots and shoes on many other lasts. (Barrie, Leyden, Plaza, Van, Aberdeen, Modified) Indy boots are built on Trubalance and Barrie, and maybe Plaza, as far as I know.
Every last has its own fit characteristics.

I buy the size I measure on a Brannock. But I wear crew socks and use a 3/4 Powerstep orthotic, too.

With the older cloth-lined 405, I can't size down to an 11 1/2 D. It's still too tight. But, the newer leather-lined boots seem roomier than the old cloth-lined ones somehow, at least in size 12 B/D. You just need to try them on with the socks you're gonna wear and find out, really. It's just preference. I can't imagine sizing down a whole size, myself. A new shoe should fit properly, without break-in, otherwise you have the wrong size or wrong shoe altogether. Work boots are nearly all I wear, and I'm done with all the painful break-in stuff. If they're not comfy walking out of the store, I don't leave with the boots. I'm basically always in Alden's or Redwings.

If you work in an office situation and wear dress socks in your 405's, your experience will be different.

All this, jmo, ymmv, etc., etc. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks guys. Good tips.
Definitely agree that a whole size would probably be too tight. I too plan to use these for work and play and of course would wear a thicker sock than dress socks in them. Thanks. I shall report back once I get a pair. Hopefully very soon.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Well. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Alden 403s size 6.5 D
Excited.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

love my 405's

you should be excited there great to wear and I still get compliments when I wear them
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I'm giddy as a school boy awaiting my new 403s.

What are your thoughts on conditioners?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QFQE6 ... ref=plSrch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then there is the Venetian cream.

I definitely do not want to darken then or the white stitching.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Melitonian Leather Crème has always been the suggested product by Aldens in treating their boots.

I've used this product, and found it to be quite good in keeping the leather soft and looking good without undo recoloring of the stitching....but keep in mind, it takes a REAL 'dye' to color the stitches, as they're waxed threads.

Regards! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Sounds good. Thanks.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

this is what I use, the cream and not the wax.....https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care ... prays.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have the renovateur for a once a year treatment...which I have not done because my boots still look amazing
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I just use Red Wing mink oil on all my boots including the Alden boots I have. I have not noticed much if any darkening on the leather of the Alden boots.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The San Francisco Alden shop recommends Lexol neatsfeet oil in neutral.
horween recommends Venetian cream.

I think those two would work well without darkening the leather up too much while doing the job.

Anyway. Will let you know and they should be here tomorrow.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Neatsfoot oil is made from boiled animal hooves. I'd steer clear (no pun intended ;) ) of anything made from animal byproducts and go for the pH balanced (neutral) creams and/or jells for leather treatment.

Bugs just LOVE stuff like neatsfoot and mink oil. :[

Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Yep. Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...ESPECIALLY in Florida! :shock:

I found that out the hard way when I lived and worked in Tallahassee back in the 80's. #-o

Regards! M
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

No kidding. I don't need any more reasons to attract mosquitos.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Consider me bummed.

No go on the fit so back they must go. I got a 6.5 and the smallest available is 6 which I was told only is an 1/8" difference. Still it's the best I have to work with so will exchange them for that and perhaps use an insole.

Just a bit long is all. My end of toe comes around 3/4 to one inch before the moc stitching. The 1/8" won't make a significant difference though.

Any others out there with small feet like mine?
At least Alden shop sends out exhanged pair prior to recieving returned pair.

Any thoughts? Advice? I mean I now am going down a whole shoe size. Are these boots just unusually long?
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

Jeremiah wrote:Consider me bummed.

No go on the fit so back they must go. I got a 6.5 and the smallest available is 6 which I was told only is an 1/8" difference. Still it's the best I have to work with so will exchange them for that and perhaps use an insole.

Just a bit long is all. My end of toe comes around 3/4 to one inch before the moc stitching. The 1/8" won't make a significant difference though.

Any others out there with small feet like mine?
At least Alden shop sends out exhanged pair prior to recieving returned pair.

Any thoughts? Advice? I mean I now am going down a whole shoe size. Are these boots just unusually long?
A whole size down from tennis shoes sounds about right...depending on the tennis shoe. I wear a size 9 in Nike tennis shoes, but I measure a size 8.5 on a Brannock device. And I wear size 8 in larger-fitting boots (like Red Wing, Chippewa, Alden, etc) The best thing is to know your Brannock device size, since so much sizing advice is based on that as the frame of reference. That's the metal thing you see in shoe stores and department store shoe sections. Typically folks get a half size down from their Brannock size, not their tennis shoe size.

As Illinois James outlined, the Indy boot is built on the Trubalance last, and Alden's Barrie last fits in a similar way to most people. It depends though--some people wear thicker socks and get their Brannock size. A good fit just feels right, but one of the most important indicators of a good fit, length-wise, is not where a person's toe comes. Rather, it is where the ball of the foot rests. Ideally, the ball of the foot should align with the widest part of the shoe--that's the flex point. You want your foot and the shoe to bend in the same place when you take a step.

As far as conditioner, if you want to maintain the color of your Alden 405 boots as they age, then absolutely you'll need something with a color in it, and I agree with Michaelson on with his recommendation of Meltonian cream. Otherwise, I'd go with what Alden recommended, but if you'd rather not get the Lexol Neatsfoot version, just get the regular Lexol conditioner. Shoe snobs on reddit/r/goodyearwelt and styleforum rave about it being an inexpensive, non-darkening, use it for every kind of leather, non-toxic, go-to choice.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks. Funny thing about shoes.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

McQ7 is exactly right about where the ball of the foot rests. Thats one of the most important things regarding fit.

Yes, shoe fit is a highly subjective thing. But I can't help but think that the guys who size down a whole size from tennis shoes or whatever for the 405 must want tennis shoes they never have to tie up or they like a loose sloppy fit on their tennis shoes. That or they use only thin dress socks and like their shoes to break-in and fit like a pair of gloves! I'm not saying that IS the case, but based on how I wear my tennis shoes it's what I'm imagining!

I can size down a half size in 405's if I wear dress socks with no insert (but I use a 3/4 insert only). Even then, I can't see myself doing any actual work or lengthy walking. If I can't wiggle my toes in the boots, they're too small for me!

The length of these boots mean very little. One-eighth of an inch bigger to me means one-eighth bigger overall, not just length. That means length, width, height, and all around the volume of the shoe. That's what an Alden shoe salesman told me once. Using length as your main guide is like holding the boots up to your feet on the bottom to determine if they're gonna fit. Not gonna work.

My Alden 12's are longer than my Redwing ropers, and the 'Wings are voluminous!

Please don't take this post as telling anyone 'You're doing it wrong!' It's just what I'm thinking because I have worn so many ill-fitting pairs of shoes in my lifetime. Alden shoes have basically 'fixed' my feet.

The Brannock device should get most people very close. And a half-size down to me is not out of the question. It's tough to size yourself to a brand when there aren't any retail locations close by.

Also, consider that the boots may just not be right for you. But most people can be fitted with them, I think.

Also, believe it or not, on the Brannock, measure BOTH feet. I'm told one foot is almost always larger than the other. Ususally the left foot is bigger. My left foot is just a shade over 12 D, and my right is just a shade over 11.5D. So, when you receive any shoes or boots in the mail of any brand, try on BOTH shoes before you return them for being too large. Just a thought.

Hope this helps! :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Very good advice. I did try both on and feel that 6 will be the best fit I will get with these. Maybe they are not made with my feet in mind but by golly I will still wear them. Ha.

They will be here Monday so pics all around with a good prognosis hopefully.

I think I now get your sneaker example. Thing is, I sized down because everyone I talked with about aldens recommended as much.

As to "these boots may not work for you"....,, it would be the first time ever I found a shoe I liked and one that came in my size that did not fit me.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Awesome news for me. The 6D fits so well that I wonder if the size I had prior which was supposedly a 6.5D was in fact a misplaced bigger boot.
Pics later.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... namyc.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw. Does anyone here have both the Alden and the AB Alden boots? Which of the two not considering the vast price difference do you prefer? Is it only the color or do the AB ones come with the cloth lining?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Love this pair so much, that I am already saving up for a second.

Either going with the 405 or perhaps the 40557H natural chromexcel.
Would love to see any pics members have of their weathered 40557H pair.

Whipwarrior, looking at your partner :lol:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Served
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice. Did you use anything aside from leather conditioner? Any conditioner with color in it or is that just natural darkening? Thanks. This is the darkest I have seen them. Pic pulled from Google.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-o ... hread/6480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Just Lexol from time to time and Pecards shoe oil regularly. The rest is the sun and normal wear
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Just to clairfy.
Those boots are the natural chromexcel 405-57H model?
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Yes, they are
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks for that.
They do look great and I think I am sold on getting a pair now.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Did pecards darken them that much? They don't even look like the natural chromexcel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Well they are here and fit great so I am all set now on Indy boots for the rest of my life hopefully. Ha.

[img][IMG]http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u588/Fimbulfambi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsit1nbyni.jpeg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Jeremiah on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

GOOD deal! Enjoy! :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

Awesome--I love the natural cxl boots. Congrats!!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Here ya go. A couple of weeks wear and some sunshine and a coat or two of conditioner (non darkening) since I have repeatedly got them wet in the morning grass.
First pic is new out of box
Second is now.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My new 405s next to my natural chromes that Alden replaced my 403s with (see Alden impressions thread).

Could not be more pleased with the craftsmanship of the shoes and the customer care of Alden shop in San Francisco.

dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

COW members I need help! :notworthy: I've looked at all the the reviews on YouTube but came here to pick you alls brain. I'm about to pull the trigger on some Adlen 405, I just need help with the sizing! I currently own some Wolverine 1000 mile boots in 8 D...I originally ordered 8.5 D after doing some research. Most people said to order half size down from their running shoe I found those boots still too long, so I returned them for my current 8D. Does anyone own Wolverine 1000 mile to compare sizes with the 405s? Btw in dress shoes I normally use 9 D.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I think in the 403's & the 405's I wear one size smaller.

Normally a 10....in the above mentioned Alden's.....a size 9
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I wear a 12D in normal shoes and a 11.5D in the Indy boots. Also wear an 11.5D in Red Wing Heritage Boots.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I refused to purchase the Indy boots until I was able to find a higher end dress/shoe shop that carried the exact 403 Alden Indy boot to try on.

I was shocked when the 10's were too big, then the 9.5 were too big & finally the 9's felt the surest fitting.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

dorian.jedi.master wrote:COW members I need help! :notworthy: I've looked at all the the reviews on YouTube but came here to pick you alls brain. I'm about to pull the trigger on some Adlen 405, I just need help with the sizing! I currently own some Wolverine 1000 mile boots in 8 D...I originally ordered 8.5 D after doing some research. Most people said to order half size down from their running shoe I found those boots still too long, so I returned them for my current 8D. Does anyone own Wolverine 1000 mile to compare sizes with the 405s? Btw in dress shoes I normally use 9 D.

I gotta tell you it has not been easy doing it by mail! They do run a half-size too big so try on a similar pair and order a half-size smaller for a good fit.

The problem is they break in so nice that they feel different when broken in (looser I would say).

The pair I originally ordered I thought fit perfectly, but after about a month the felt 'loose' on me. I put on an extra pair of socks and it felt 'better' so I traded them in for a half size smaller. Now they feel too small lol!

I think my problem is wide feet (that and the realization that the shoe tends to be longer than average). This made me think my toe was too far from the tip when I think now it is supposed to be like that. Since I already traded them in once I would HATE to sound like a moron and ask for the previous ones back so I'll probably take them to a shoe store and have them stretched just a bit for a better fit. If I could do it again I would just stick to the roomier fit.

Good luck!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just curious.....were you ever properly measured with a Brannock Device before ordering, as Alden's are sold in exact measurements based on that device. :-k

There should be no 'guesswork' when it comes to ordering high end shoes like these boots.

Regard! Michaelson
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Red Wings, Wolverines and Indy Boots are all 11.5D for me. With Alden products, it depends on what last they use. As an example, I have a couple pairs of Alden boots in size 12M (my normal size) because of the last used. Most of my Alden boots are on the trubalance or barrier lasts which run a 1/2 size big.

My only pet peeve is how close the eyelets come together on the Indy Boots. I wear thicker socks and inserts to keep them from touching.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:Just curious.....were you ever properly measured with a Brannock Device before ordering, as Alden's are sold in exact measurements based on that device. :-k

There should be no 'guesswork' when it comes to ordering high end shoes like these boots.

Regard! Michaelson
Yes I did which is why the first pair fit the best. What threw me off was the slight extension of the shoe combined with the eye holes being closer than normal. Once they were broken in I though my toe was not far enough forward and since the sides of the shoes touch when laced made me think it was a bit too large (i know you are supposed to see tongue behind the laces).

I actually pleaded my case with JCrew and I couldn't believe they will let me trade them again for the original size! They were awesome about it and I am so glad I didn't pay almost 6 bills for shoes that were uncomfortable.
The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Man with the Hat »

For me, I have found that Alden's boots fits true, not big or small. I've owned three different styles, all the same size.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

My feet measure out at 9.5 D.

I have 5 different pairs of different Indy boots - all 9.5 D - plus 5 different pairs of Alden shoes - also all 9.5 D.

I have consistently worn 9.5 D in most other brands including Johnston & Murphy, Bally, Cole Haan, Timberline and Quoddy.

The only exceptions I've run across are New Balance running shoes where I need size 10 - so at least for me they are sized true.

In addition, when I ordered a pair of Vintage Indy's from Leather Soul several years ago I talked to Tom Park about sizing and his advice was to order my usual size.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Thanks guys for all your help! I'm going to the nearest dealer here in Texas this week to try them out! Ideally, I prefer the the 405s for their color and durability of the calf leather, not so much for Screen accuracy. I'm a History teacher and tend to be on my feet a lot while lecturing, so I think these boots will be quite comfy....besides it never hurts to feel like Indy during my Pre-Spanish Conquest lesson :TOH: Thanks COW members that had a chance to chime in!

Dorian
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

dorian.jedi.master wrote:Thanks guys for all your help! I'm going to the nearest dealer here in Texas this week to try them out! Ideally, I prefer the the 405s for their color and durability of the calf leather, not so much for Screen accuracy. I'm a History teacher and tend to be on my feet a lot while lecturing, so I think these boots will be quite comfy....besides it never hurts to feel like Indy during my Pre-Spanish Conquest lesson :TOH: Thanks COW members that had a chance to chime in!

Dorian
Yeah I can tell you having my original pair back that I thought were a bit too big is an awesome fit. Just don't worry if the toe doesn't feel close enough to the edge; if you're not feeling any squeeze around the ball of your foot you are good to go.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

chenricy wrote:Yeah I can tell you having my original pair back that I thought were a bit too big is an awesome fit. Just don't worry if the toe doesn't feel close enough to the edge; if you're not feeling any squeeze around the ball of your foot you are good to go.
You aren't the first to come to this conclusion.

The boots are just roomier overall. To muddy the water even further, the thinner/more flexible Chromexcel leather makes 403s feel even roomier than 405s. When it comes to extended daily wear, roomier is typically better to compensate for foot swell and fatigue.

As for the concerns of the eyelets being close together:

:TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

HA good find.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I just ordered my first pair of Alden indy boots! Thanks guys for this post, not to derail the topic but what kind of insoles do you guys recommend for these boots?
Thanks,
Dorian