In search of a larger fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

In search of a larger fedora

Post by Ranger36 »

Hello friends!

I am in need of a new Indy fedora. Unfortunately, my head is rather big. All the way round, it measures 26 1/4". I have contacted Penman to see about getting a custom fedora but he informed me that he didn't have a block that large! So my question is this:

Are there any Indy fedora makers that are able to make larger size hats?

I have a non-Indy order from Black Sheep Hat Works in the works. That guy said that he would be able to make one that large but sadly he doesn't make Indy fedoras. I figured I would ask here before I sent off emails to every fedora maker I know. Surely there are some larger noggined COWers in these parts, right? :TOH:

Many thanks!
Ranger36
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: In search of a larger fedora

Post by Michaelson »

I'd suggest dropping Peters Brothers a line. They've been making custom hats since 1917 and have been making our Indy fedoras for years.

info@pbhats.com

I bet they'd have a block that big, due to their longevity in the trade.

Regards! Michaelson
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Thank you sir! Email sent! :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

With PB you're probably best giving them a call. Their hat making is first class, but their online presence/communication is a bit behind the times.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, the email address I supplied was just posted on their FB page as the newest and fastest way to contact them regarding orders.

They've already posted their first iteration update of their website, and the second round it in the works, so they're working hard to get back up to speed since Joe passed away.

Still, you can't beat person to person contact. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Bob @ Black Sheep can really make you anything you want, I'm sure. He's quite the capable hatter.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

jlee562 wrote:Bob @ Black Sheep can really make you anything you want, I'm sure. He's quite the capable hatter.
I thought about asking him but I figured that if he isn't familiar with the specifics, it would be a hassle on both ends. Instead of him trying to get everything just so, I thought it would be worth it to see if someone with more Indy experience would be able to make a larger lid.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would like to send out a couple of crowns to double check your measurements because you are way off the charts.
A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

And I thought I had problems at 24"!
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

OK, I just got an email back from Peter Brothers.
Hello,
What you're requesting is at the outer edge of what we can accomplish here. But...you would have to be lenient with the exactness of style. In other words the shape of the block for the crown of the hat isn't what we'd typically use for Raiders style. It's not incredibly far off but don't expect complete screen accuracy. I wouldn't want to promise you anything without looking into it further but it's doubtful many or any other hatmakers have tools in this size range. Also if we proceed with this it'll be around 16 weeks for delivery.
Thanks
Peters Bros Hats
So...

It's about what I expected. I'm just too much of a mutant. I know beggars can't be choosers, but if I am paying $225 or whatever the price is, I would like it to be as SA as possible. Unfortunately, I have no idea of where to go from here. Short of buying a custom hat block (which are pretty dang expensive), I'm up a creek. If a hat maker that has been in business as long as they have says "No dice", I doubt I'll find anybody else able to help. Hmm...

Oh, I forgot to give an example of what I'm going for.

This is what I would like it to look like.

Dunno if that helps.
BendingOak wrote:I would like to send out a couple of crowns to double check your measurements because you are way off the charts.
I honestly don't know if that will do any good, but I'm willing to try if you are.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

I'm at just about 24" too so I very much sympathize!

However, take John Penman up on his offer. Either PM him here or contact him through his site and he will send you what is basically a simple, paper measuring tape and instructions on how to use it and mark it (instructions may be posted to his site - I forget). And if I recall correctly Steve pretty much did something similar in requesting folks to measure the circumference around their head where they wear a hat.

Important to remember though is that you want it to be only as tight as what your hatband would be while wearing a hat - not corset action here. You don't want it to be sloppy loose either. And measure a few times over to see what you're getting each time.

The problem with a cloth measuring tape is that it can sometimes stretch if pulled too tight.

Maybe have someone assist you?
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Did you ever get anything??any updates?
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

No, I'm afraid I've not found anything yet. I've sent an email to Garrison and Steele & Jones and ABD to inquire about the Henry. Garrison doesn't have a block that size and the Henry doesn't run that large. Right now the guys at S&J are out of the office until March but I don't have high hopes.
While trawling the archives, I did see that during production of KOTCS, Mr. Delk needed to make three new hats for some stuntmen that had larger heads but that was years ago and I certainly don't have the funds for an AB. So as of right now, I have stalled in my search for the fedora.

Ahh, the perils of having a fat head....

Edit: Forgot all about AdVintage. I'll shoot them an email in the morning. Other than that I believe I have covered the bases in the Indy hat world. I'm not totally up to date though so if I have missed anybody, please forgive me.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You never sent me your address so I can send out crowns. I find it hard to believe you are that size so I would like to double check you measurements.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Oh, I am very sorry John. I wasn't aware that offer was still on the table. Thank you very much! PM sent!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Of course. I'm trying to help and I'm hoping you are off on your measurements.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Crowns sent.