New Leather for a Vintage US Wings Indy!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Soooo...I got this wild email from Sarge the other day about this amazing new cowhide leather he had sourced for a short run of Indy jackets! I asked him if he could spare enough to send a sample (he sent a sample to Michelson, too), and it arrived Friday!

The jackets will be available for pre-order for Indy fans...Sarge says:
There will be a price increase when they are released to the General Public. Our Indy Friends can place a pre order at $ 489.00 now with no deposit or order just an e-mail asking to set one aside and the size… We will only make 100 at a time Every 90 days.
So...very limited run, and, as with all these one-off leather findings, when they are gone, they're gone...

It's a VERY soft and supple cowhide, with a nice light brown undertone, and dark brown overtone...with a wonderful vintage finish. The grain looks to be very even across the surface, and looks pretty evenly distributed from what I can see. I'm excited to see the finished product!!!!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I took some indoors and outdoors in various light, so it should give you a good idea of what it would look like in various conditions. Here is the link:

http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Wolf-D ... how/IJVINC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My youngest daughter, who is Indy-crazy, jumped on the sample and won't let me have it back now...so, the pics will have to suffice until the jacket gets here!

At any rate--this should be an AWESOME jacket when it's done!

Cheers all!
Dawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: New Leather for a Vintage US Wings Indy!!!

Post by Michaelson »

Got my sample as well, and quite frankly, it's probably the softest cowhide I've ever handled.

I handed it to my wife, and she said she thought it felt like deer skin.

Yep, it's that soft. :shock:

It's going to make an amazing group of jackets! :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

You know, M...I hadn't thought of that; but, it DOES feel like that old deerskin Expo I used to have...and similar grain, too!

It's going to make some gorgeous jackets, for sure!
:whip: :H:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just heard these jackets are due out shortly, and are made in the Signature series pattern only.

Sizes are S to 2X and they will be offering Longs.. No 3X.

Regard! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Looking for mine to arrive soon!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Just heard these jackets are due out shortly, and are made in the Signature series pattern only.

Sizes are S to 2X and they will be offering Longs.. No 3X.

Regard! Michaelson
Aw, man! Wish I had the cash for this one... I love the Signature Series pattern and fit! Come on, Powerball!!!!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I like the Legend fit but in a tall. I had the Signature one they sell currently and it was very baggy to me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's definitely a more generous cut, but as was pointed out to me by their staff, it was created more for use by those with CCP's (concealed carry permits).

I never thought of that. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

And that is an excellent point, as I can actually carry double and still be inconspicuous with this jacket.

Oh, yeah...mine arrived yesterday! I have a few preliminary pics, and will get the links up tomorrow!

Suffice it to say...I've owned a LOT of Indy jackets over the years. I've always been able to zero in, almost immediately, on the flaws...

###### if I can find one with this jacket. :shock:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Double carry?... You guys expecting a zombie apocalypse or something? Looking forward to the pics.

ps. can somebody with some influence convince US Wings to ditch those buckles and just go with simple D rings or something?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They did on these jackets, as well as the 'roo jackets. They have D rings.

Seems to be a mixed bag sometimes.

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:It's definitely a more generous cut, but as was pointed out to me by their staff, it was created more for use by those with CCP's (concealed carry permits).

I never thought of that. :-k

Regard! Michaelson

Glad someone pointed that out! It comes in very handy. My Wings jackets are good for that purpose, and my oversized Wested is as well. I need to add Signature to my stable soon. The bagginess also helps keep more warmth in if you find yourself in a situation where you need a coat instead of a jacket. Like changing a frozen fuel filter in a parking lot during a snow storm.................

(I probably should have just worn my winter coat that day)

;)