My SCREEN USED Wested!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

My SCREEN USED Wested!

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Before you get too excitable, my Wested of course was not used in any Indy movie, but you may see me wearing it in Sy-Fy's new series "Wynonna Earp". So far though, it's only been in one scene and I'm wearing an also iconic (though toned down) one sleeved black motorcycle jacket in other scenes where I'm more prominent.

In the scene with the Wested, I'm playing cards in 'Shorty's Saloon' and have a Colt 1911 poking out of my belt.

I can't say much more than that, but tune into Sy-Fy or Canada's Space Channel in April 2016 and you quick viewers may spot it.

Someone snapped a pic of me hard at work on set (but not the day I had on my LC jacket):

Last edited by Snakewhip_Sable on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My SCREEEN USED Wested!

Post by davidd »

Will definitely be watching for this! April... remind us when the date gets close!
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Cool beans!

Any chance some of us in Europe might be able to see it as well?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wyatt Earp's......grand daughter? :-k

Well, all righty then.... :lol:

We'll give it a look-see when she airs, Jeff! Congrats on another screen appearance!

Regard! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

I don't know if/when it will air in Europe.

It's a silly idea but seems to be a bit of fun so far. Not high art but it's not a gritty bloodfest like an AMC show either. Seems kinda PG at this point (not at all like the comic book it's based on).
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If it's in the vein of Warehouse 13 or Defiance, you could spend your time watching much worse entertainment.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I don't know. With some of the stuff SyFy has been putting up as 'entertainment' the past couple of years, there's no place to go but 'up'. ;)

This one looks promising. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

This is a million times better than Sharknado. SyFy has also been aiming a lot higher in the last year.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Watch it, Jeff.....I know a LOT of folks who think Sharknado was one of the finest things ever put on film. [-X
(sad comment about the state of our civilization, isn't it? #-o )

;)

Regard! M
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

I... kinda liked Sharknado, actually. At least it was a "fun" film. And the opening sequence of Sharknado II, on the plane, was pretty impressive. Well, impressive in a SyFy channel version of impressive. I haven't seen III... yet... but from what I've read, it sounds epic! I mean, Hasselhoff is in it!

I'm hoping Snakewhip_Sable shows up in IV. :CR:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

To be sure Syfy has put out plenty of dreck.

But, to the likes of Sharnado or Lavalantula (heaven help us) that don't take themselves seriously, it can be big, dumb fun.

To be fair though, Syfy has moved into some legitimate original programs. The aforementioned Warehouse 13 and Defiance are solid entertainment. Warehouse 13 was fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Defiance is grittier with higher production values. If they keep Wynonna Earp in the same spirit of these two I think we're all in for a very big treat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Indiana Jeff wrote:The aforementioned Warehouse 13 and Defiance are solid entertainment. Warehouse 13 was fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Defiance is grittier with higher production values. If they keep Wynonna Earp in the same spirit of these two I think we're all in for a very big treat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
It should be noted that those are all Canadian productions. Wynonna Earp has tongue planted firmly in cheek and has some pretty funny lines as well as fairly high production value. The sets are amazing.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Jeff wrote: The aforementioned Warehouse 13 and Defiance are solid entertainment. Warehouse 13 was fun and didn't take itself too seriously.
You know what, Jeff - not having a go at you but I wish more shows would take themselves more seriously. I'm totally fed up by programs that hide poor writing and production under the "we're being ironic and fun" escape clause. When I think of Raiders, what made it so good is that it took some fairly preposterous material and through presenting it straight and giving it a sense of wonder the makers made it seem believable. Sure there were tongue in cheek moments, but overall you felt is was plausible.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Earp is based on a cheesy comic book. I was also involved in AMC's "#### on Wheels" which was dead serious 99% of the time. I'll take what work I can get, not a lot to be choosy about in this area.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

CM wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote: The aforementioned Warehouse 13 and Defiance are solid entertainment. Warehouse 13 was fun and didn't take itself too seriously.
You know what, Jeff - not having a go at you but I wish more shows would take themselves more seriously. I'm totally fed up by programs that hide poor writing and production under the "we're being ironic and fun" escape clause. When I think of Raiders, what made it so good is that it took some fairly preposterous material and through presenting it straight and giving it a sense of wonder the makers made it seem believable. Sure there were tongue in cheek moments, but overall you felt is was plausible.

Let me clarify. Warehouse 13 isn't a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge so bad it's good" production. It isn't played ironic or breaking the 4th wall. It is played straight ahead as a fantasy/action show. The premise is there is a Warehouse 13 containing a treasure trove of artifacts from throughout history imbued with special powers. The assembled team is tasked with recovering said artifacts and safely storing them in the warehouse.

What I meant by it doesn't take itself too seriously is the show doesn't try to be more than a fun fantasy/action tale. They don't have subplots about geo-political events to add gravitas. They aren't trying to 'teach a lesson'.

As an example, I think that's where The Lone Ranger movie went wrong. The makers couldn't decided if they wanted a 'serious' action movie; or a buddy action/comedy; or a pulpy action movie (the final train chase played to the William Tell Overture) or a statement on Native American rights; or an allegory on corporate greed/power in politics; or a romance story; or a spiritual awakening story; or a revenge/justice 'you killed my brother' story; or a broad physical comedy story. They tried to hit all of those notes and so didn't hit any of them well. That's what I mean by taking themselves too seriously. I think the makers were afraid of the movie being branded a 'low brow pulp movie' and so tried to add in all these other elements to make the story 'more'. And in the process ended up with much less.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I was actually a fan of W13 early on (I have a Farnsworth replica that I put together myself). What ended up killing the show for me was that main character deaths became an inconvenience, rather than a serious emotional story arc. I agree that the charm of the show was that it wasn't too serious, but dying literally started to feel like a running joke.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My SCREEN USED Wested!

Post by captblitzdawg »

I haven't seen Warehouse 13, but it sounds interesting. I also haven't seen Wynetta Earp, but looking at the comic samples online, it seems to have a very 90's look to it- a distinctive, but not always well done style of comic art. The stories were usually very simple and extreme. Might make for an interesting TV series. Here's hoping they keep you around to make you into a named background character, at least!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Wyatt Earp's......grand daughter? :-k

Well, all righty then.... :lol:

We'll give it a look-see when she airs, Jeff! Congrats on another screen appearance!

Regard! Michaelson

I actually met one of his real relatives. Marianna Earp. She was a resident at the nursing home I worked at a few years ago. Really sweet lady.

Very cool snakewhip!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
CM wrote:

Let me clarify. Warehouse 13 isn't a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge so bad it's good" production. It isn't played ironic or breaking the 4th wall. It is played straight ahead as a fantasy/action show. The premise is there is a Warehouse 13 containing a treasure trove of artifacts from throughout history imbued with special powers. The assembled team is tasked with recovering said artifacts and safely storing them in the warehouse.

What I meant by it doesn't take itself too seriously is the show doesn't try to be more than a fun fantasy/action tale. They don't have subplots about geo-political events to add gravitas. They aren't trying to 'teach a lesson'.

As an example, I think that's where The Lone Ranger movie went wrong. The makers couldn't decided if they wanted a 'serious' action movie; or a buddy action/comedy; or a pulpy action movie (the final train chase played to the William Tell Overture) or a statement on Native American rights; or an allegory on corporate greed/power in politics; or a romance story; or a spiritual awakening story; or a revenge/justice 'you killed my brother' story; or a broad physical comedy story. They tried to hit all of those notes and so didn't hit any of them well. That's what I mean by taking themselves too seriously. I think the makers were afraid of the movie being branded a 'low brow pulp movie' and so tried to add in all these other elements to make the story 'more'. And in the process ended up with much less.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Of course, it it were well done it could have been all those things and a fantastic film too. :lol: There were people I know who said it was very good. Can't comment, I didn't see it and as a general principle I don't see movies for adolescents. Mainly because I have yet to see a superhero film I like. They say comedy is the hardest genre to get right. I'd say it's action/adventure movies.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

It turns out that I'm horribly wrong about "Wynonna Earp" being PG rated fare. It's certainly above that, less sweary than an AMC show and certainly much tamer than an HBO show, but there is some naughty language in it. The worst of it is creatively censored with perfectly timed church bells and such.

Yesterday I spent 14 hours portraying a biker demon in 'casual disguise' at a fight club. Hilariously, they stood my next to a fella who looks almost exactly like me but in bad@$$ biker gear and that guy was wearing a black Akubra fedora. So you may think you've spotted me in that episode, but it's really a bald British fella. And two over from that guy, is another guy with chops and a bald pate, but no hat. Just the way it works sometimes.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Awful nice of them to supply you with 2 stunt doubles, Jeff! \:D/

;)

Regard! M
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

I may have been their stunt double. I got a might damp when Doc Holiday had a conniption and busted a full beer bottle. I 'saved' some of the glass because it landed in my shirt pocket.

I think the Doc's a lunger!