The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by lantzn »

How cool is that?
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

BendingOak wrote:Image
I recognized that hat immediately because I remembered that fantastic ribbon.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's one roll of three I got that is vintage stripped ribbon. I need to make myself one like this before it runs out.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I'm sooooo excited \:D/ ! Just can't hide it....wait a minute, those are lyrics to a 'Pop Song,' oh well, I am excited, my fifth Penman has now officially been ordered (check chased, etc.). "Casablanca" here you come! This wonderful creation will join my "Crusader", "Train", "Skull" and "ABLegacy"! What a fine compliment to this line up of Penman's! Ordered in steel grey with a charcoal ribbon. Now, patience through the process. Wish me luck on this one :- ! W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

WConly wrote:I'm sooooo excited \:D/ ! Just can't hide it....wait a minute, those are lyrics to a 'Pop Song,' oh well, I am excited, my fifth Penman has now officially been ordered (check chased, etc.). "Casablanca" here you come! This wonderful creation will join my "Crusader", "Train", "Skull" and "ABLegacy"! What a fine compliment to this line up of Penman's! Ordered in steel grey with a charcoal ribbon. Now, patience through the process. Wish me luck on this one :- ! W>

Thanks buddy. It's always a joy to make a hat for you.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just wanted to add one to this thread too, love this hat.

Croft :mrgreen:

[url=http://s193.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

As always. Looks good. Btw. Those Noel Howard pants?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks, no they're Todd's.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Look good.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

John finished my order last weekend, and will be shipping it out soon..

He sent me the photos, and so I'd like to share here as well..Since he did such a great job with making what I'd wanted...

Initially, I had asked for a Crusade styled hat, since I love the turned up sides of the Crusade and the slightly smaller in size feel to the whole thing, in one of the whitest colour felts he had, and John had suggested Silverbelly, which is just slightly off white, and I'm very glad he did so, since even as it is, this colour will be a touch harder to keep clean than perhaps it should be! That said, I'd wanted a hat that stood out more than my greys, and had a touch more "dress" to it than the others I own....

I've got a job that requires a dress up several times a year (Private high school in Tokyo) and so, to match my dinner suit and shirt, and long black (bridge) coat and scarf/gloves, I'd wanted something in white....

And my word did John deliver.....I'd told him before he started to "have fun" with how it was put together, and I think he threw in some variations on his "usual" process for the hats while pouncing this one, and several small changes in construction as well....The ribbon is a vintage black, and while I was open to colour changes there, or small detail points, chatting with John finally decided me in having it one solid colour there...And I'm very happy I did...The hat stands out for the right reasons now....And it didn't really need more....

I'm delighted with her, and can't wait to try it on soon....Should be here just in time for Christmas this year, and honestly, was intended as a small "self-present", since I live far away from family, and have none here in Japan, so celebrations are usually fairly muted alone here! :( <Sobstory....>

John, my friend....This is SUPERB work...I can't thank you enough...It's brilliant.

Here are the photos I was sent by John.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I like it.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Looks awesome, mate. Be sure to show that baby off when you get it.

Dave
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

That is an awesome color for a felt, wear it with pride and looking forward to a pic of you dresses to the nines.
One again, John comes through. Nice Job John, bravo. :clap: :clap:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It's been a while since I posted any pictures. So...this is my 2008 Penman beaver Raiders. This is one of the first ten that John made commercially available on COW. It's still my go to hat. Please pardon the "selfie" style shot, but I had just gotten back home and have this wonderful streetlight that provided great lighting. :lol: Anyway, the felt has mellowed out to a beautiful light brown or caramel color from just regular wear. My CS AB, when sitting next to this one, is about three shades darker. Both started out the same color but the AB rarely sees any action since I don't want to risk damaging the felt or even staining the liner. :roll:

shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Still one of my favorite hats on here. That hat looks like it has seen some advetures. :TOH:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks, Shade. Yeah, this hat is a consummate companion on my adventure of life. At this point, if I was ever in a tight spot and needed cash fast I'd rather sell my Gibson goldtop Les Paul than this hat.

Dave
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

fifthchamber wrote:John finished my order last weekend, and will be shipping it out soon..

He sent me the photos, and so I'd like to share here as well..Since he did such a great job with making what I'd wanted...

Initially, I had asked for a Crusade styled hat, since I love the turned up sides of the Crusade and the slightly smaller in size feel to the whole thing, in one of the whitest colour felts he had, and John had suggested Silverbelly, which is just slightly off white, and I'm very glad he did so, since even as it is, this colour will be a touch harder to keep clean than perhaps it should be! That said, I'd wanted a hat that stood out more than my greys, and had a touch more "dress" to it than the others I own....

I've got a job that requires a dress up several times a year (Private high school in Tokyo) and so, to match my dinner suit and shirt, and long black (bridge) coat and scarf/gloves, I'd wanted something in white....

And my word did John deliver.....I'd told him before he started to "have fun" with how it was put together, and I think he threw in some variations on his "usual" process for the hats while pouncing this one, and several small changes in construction as well....The ribbon is a vintage black, and while I was open to colour changes there, or small detail points, chatting with John finally decided me in having it one solid colour there...And I'm very happy I did...The hat stands out for the right reasons now....And it didn't really need more....

I'm delighted with her, and can't wait to try it on soon....Should be here just in time for Christmas this year, and honestly, was intended as a small "self-present", since I live far away from family, and have none here in Japan, so celebrations are usually fairly muted alone here! :( <Sobstory....>

John, my friend....This is SUPERB work...I can't thank you enough...It's brilliant.

Here are the photos I was sent by John.

Wow 8) ! One Awesome Choice :TOH: ! W>
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

First of all, Merry Christmas to all of you following this thread...It's been a long year, but one I'm rather glad to see the end of, all in all....

And I did that with some style today, thanks to my friend, John Penman... His hat arrived today and was perfectly timed for Christmas, and a shopping trip down to Harajuku in Tokyo with my girlfriend....Stunning hat, as I knew it would be...

John knows what I think of this, but I'll say it again, because it never gets old....This is BRILLIANT work...The best I've seen, and thank you deeply for the skill mate...It's a brilliant (self) present!

Here are the photos from today's trek!

And I tried on a pair of the Savile Row glasses used by Indiana Jones as well...I suspect I'll be getting these..Don't need glasses, but I rather like the effect on my face..So..

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Let me be the first to respond.
1st Merry Christmas. :TOH:
&
2nd, stunning fedora my friend, you wear it well. Makes me want to put on my Penman CS travel hat, that silver belly is stunning. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Johns work is truly awesome. :notworthy:

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Yup...it's a winner. Nice work, John. Congrats on the new topper, mate. And Merry Christmas.

Dave
RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

Beautiful work,congrats.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Gotta say, one of the sharpest looking Penman's I've see to date, and I'm not a fan of light colored fedoras, regardless of maker.

This one nails it, and you pull it off perfectly! :TOH:

Oh, and get the glasses. I have a pair. They're great! :M: :tup:

VERY Merry Christmas, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Regards! Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Michaelson wrote:Gotta say, one of the sharpest looking Penman's I've see to date, and I'm not a fan of light colored fedoras, regardless of maker.

This one nails it, and you pull it off perfectly! :TOH:

Oh, and get the glasses. I have a pair. They're great! :M: :tup:

VERY Merry Christmas, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks my friend!

I gotta say, I rather liked the glasses...I'd not expected to..But they're rather lighter than I assumed, and I could wear them without really noticing...Then, when my eyes DO fail me? I'd be safe anyway eh? I suspect I found my New Year present..... :CR:

Does anyone happen to know the size used by Ford in the film? I tried on the 49(mm? I'm assuming?) and liked the look...But does anyone have a cert on the actual size used in the film? :TOH:

Thanks for the comments! This hat really is lovely...I think I should consider several more Crusade styled versions in different colours...I like this shape the most out of all those I've tried on my head...(Skull and Travel Skull, Raiders and Crusade so far)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I will repeat from my previous post: Wow 8) ! One Awesome Choice :TOH: !!! Now, to add to this, it looks even better on you, then in John's workshop ;) ! Very nice hat and perfect with your photos of both, casual and dressed to (no, I am not going to say, kill) impress! Very nice. Good choice. Good call and concept for the 'Crusade' style. You have chosen wisely :clap: ! W>
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

That's a beautiful hat, indeed. I'm struck by the difference in color between John's photos and yours, although they were obviously taken in different lighting conditions. I didn't realize that silverbelly could look so different outdoors vs. a well lit indoor shot. Gorgeous hat in any lighting, obviously.

I'm also interested in the screen used glasses sizing. Was that the Algha Pantos back then, as now?

Yes, while those lighter colors are beautiful, I don't get to wear them nearly as much as I'd like. If there's any dirt, grease, or oil near me, I'm gonna wear some of it home! LOL!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Illinois James wrote:That's a beautiful hat, indeed. I'm struck by the difference in color between John's photos and yours, although they were obviously taken in different lighting conditions. I didn't realize that silverbelly could look so different outdoors vs. a well lit indoor shot. Gorgeous hat in any lighting, obviously.

I'm also interested in the screen used glasses sizing. Was that the Algha Pantos back then, as now?

Yes, while those lighter colors are beautiful, I don't get to wear them nearly as much as I'd like. If there's any dirt, grease, or oil near me, I'm gonna wear some of it home! LOL!
Agreed....Indoors it can be almost silvery grey, and then outdoors, rather more white, except in shade..When the greyness comes back...Rather interesting colour!

And yeah, those were the Algha Pantos...Although the colour was wrong..They were the lighter coloured frames, not the chestnut version, although I've placed the order with the company and they're being made now...I went for the same size as this photo, 49, since that suited my face rather well, and wasn't too wide..

But if anyone does have the size used in the film, I'd be glad to hear it too... :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Will it post pic sideways?

car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Of course it did....used the ipad again and the app 'tinypic'

no clue why this happens....the app kept talking about the 'clipboard'

stinks to be old and not understand all this technology
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

car96 wrote:Of course it did....used the ipad again and the app 'tinypic'

no clue why this happens....the app kept talking about the 'clipboard'

stinks to be old and not understand all this technology
Don't feel badly...you are not alone. I have many, many issues with some of this stuff #-o ! However, if you look as good as these shots -- straight up, what's the problem ;) ? W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Well, I am moderately excited.....moderately -- NO \:D/ ! I received a call from John today and my Casablanca will probably be finished by the end of next week! Now, the real wait begins, however I know, that in the end, the time in wait will be worth it! Thanks John! Excited to get my grubby little fingers all over this offering ;) W>
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Make sure to post pics as soon as you get it. I've loved every Casablanca hat John has made and have it on my want list.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I just wanted to share this wonderful e-mail I got from a customer. I get e-mails like this from time to time and it really makes me feel good. This is the best part of hat making. Meeting wonderful people like this young man.

Dear John,

The LC lid arrived Tuesday, and the AB Legacy arrived today. I have to say, HOLY SCHNIKES!!!!! These hats are amazing! absolutely beautiful! The finest lids I’ve ever owned by far! The LC hat is a lifelong quest come true. Nobody gets that hat truly right, except you. From the bow, to that gorgeous brim, to the crown shape you knocked it out of the park! I’ve only owned one other beaver hat, it was an AB circa 06’. The felt you’re using (which I assume is the same Mr. Delk uses nowadays) is so much thinner and lighter. I was blown away by how light the hat is. you were right about the finish too, it came out amazing! Absolutely beautiful, and the softest feel, I can’t believe how soft it is. And speaking of felt, I can’t believe how awesomely floppy the Legacy is. It’s definitely the ultimate Raiders hat short of going back in time and having Mr. Swales make you one. Thank you so much. For the hats, and for encouraging me to stick with firefighting all those years ago, for being an open ear when my Dad was sick.

Fortune and Glory,
Eric Cromeens
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Congrates, always nice to have someone put it into words on how a lot of us feel.
Nice Job.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Car96 is that a LC lid?
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Andy.... It's was made to be a Raiders. I haven't tried to change it. Made of beaver but responds like rabbit.?

I never understood John's explanation , something about a new process? Hat is over a year old.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Car96 it's an awesome looking hat regardless. I thought it may be the Canyon fedora from LC with the front pinch styled the way it is. But the brim is too wide for that particular hat. I've noticed you post a lot of LC oriented gear so I guess I figured this hat was LC as well. I'm Brian btw. I know my user name looks like 'andy' but it's actually, 'anindyjones'. You know, like we all have an Indy jones sometimes. :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Brian,

Cool. I do like the LC look the best. Love the Raiders hat too.

Actually now that I think about it, I have a Penman Raiders & TOD and a Steele & Jones LC hat. Kinda forgot about it like that.

I like my Raiders...it's actually too big. I need to get more hatband 'fillers' to make up for the somewhat loose fit.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I open this dialog, first, with an apology to Mr. Penman. John: I absolutely love my new 'Casablanca Fedora' and due to the death of our (my wife and myself) sister-in-law's brother, things have been crazy, thus no post to date. However, I do love this lid! It looks and feels (if one could reach into the screen and feel something) like Bogie's fedora from this grand favorite of his many 'bigger-then-life' movies (and characters), "Casablanca!" The charcoal grey color, enhanced with the beautiful black ribbon and exquisite bow work shine just like it does on the 'Big Screen!' Fit, as always -- perfect and the 'almost already' broken in touch and feeling is at the top of the ladder! Another great score from a true Master Hatter -- John Penman! :tup: , :tup: ! :clap: !!!!!

And, before the maddening and every growing mob throws up (THIS THREAD>>>>>>>, etc.), I have a buddy at my (pt job) who told me he will take shots of the hat and me with it and I will get up sometime by the end of this next week.

Everyone here, surely by now, knows that John makes some of the finest 'Indy' offerings available, but I have to tell you -- don't stop there! Check 'um all out and buy, buy, buy! You won't regret it! (Was that the way you told me to say it John? Or, do I need to jazz it up more?) Seriously though, your hats are the tops, John and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone and do!

Thanks again old friend :TOH: ! W>
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

My wife says she likes my Casablanca the best of all the hats I own. (which is really saying something.)

Having picked up 9 Penmans and 2 ABLs from John over the years (plus 5 Adventurebilts, Garrisons, too many Akubras to count, and others) that's saying something. And what I can add, which is amazing since the first one I got from John is perfect, is they only get better. :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:My wife says she likes my Casablanca the best of all the hats I own. (which is really saying something.)

Having picked up 9 Penmans and 2 ABLs from John over the years (plus 5 Adventurebilts, Garrisons, too many Akubras to count, and others) that's saying something. And what I can add, which is amazing since the first one I got from John is perfect, is they only get better. :TOH:

Is this not so? This is number 5 for me (Penman-wise) and it just amazes me how wonderful they are! I have and still own a bunch of hats, quite varied and wide ranging, but when it comes to fedoras, Wow, John is really good! W>
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I love this custom made that John made me.

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Jeremiah wrote:I love this custom made that John made me.

Very cool :TOH: ! W>
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I dig it, Jeremiah. That's one cool hat.

Dave
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks. I certainly am enjoying it.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Got another month to wait before I get mine finally, any advice from anyone that has had theirs for a while now?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Yes. Wear it, enjoy it, don't treat it like a Faberge Egg, brush it occasionally, handle it by the brim - not the front pinch, and don't be surprised if it reproduces all on its own. (Mine do. :TOH: )
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

chenricy wrote:Got another month to wait before I get mine finally, any advice from anyone that has had theirs for a while now?

Advice in regards to what? Not much you can do but wait..and look forward to its arrival.

:)
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Because the question was phrased with the "had theirs for awhile" clause I interpreted it as asking "what should it do after I receive it?"

Short answer - wear the heck out of it. ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Because the question was phrased with the "had theirs for awhile" clause I interpreted it as asking "what should it do after I receive it?"

Short answer - wear the heck out of it. ;)

I agree. Wear it wear it wear it!
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Ordered my first Penman today!

Talked to John for a while on the phone. What a guy. What a hat.
I can't wait.

B