Crystal Skull hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Crystal Skull hats

Post by alex1152 »

I rarely see any Crystal Skull hat around here, it's such a beautiful hat,I would love to see more around here.
Anyone has some pictures?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Crystal Skull hats

Post by Indiana Croft »

Sure why not.
1st is my CS by Mr. Delk.
[url=http://s193.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

2nd is my Penman travel hat. photo shop by Binkmister. :roll:

And a better shot, brrrr not winter, but Winter is Coming.

Croft :mrgreen:
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

Love that train hat Croft!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The 'train' hat block has always been my personal favorite, but then I'm biased. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Trains aside... M :roll: :lol:

That is a great bash on the travel lid though Croft. Probably one of the best I've seen in a long while :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

My CS from Steve......An old photo though....Sorry about that...

And well, since Croft did it, here's the second hat from the film as well....Both excellent in my opinion (Hat here was made by John Penman)

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Trains aside... M :roll: :lol:

That is a great bash on the travel lid though Croft. Probably one of the best I've seen in a long while :TOH:
Nothing to do with 'trains, TS. [-X The original block used by Steve was the one he always set aside for MY hats, and he calls them the 'Michaelson' blocks. :M:

When he was trying to come up with an idea to make the travel hat without using his CS block, he asked me what I thought? I looked at my hat hanging on my hall tree, and said, 'why not use my block?' :-k

I'll always remember that discussion, as it was a AH HA!!! moment for Steve! :lol:

Oh, and yeah, well, there WAS that one train..... :[

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks all, funny thing is when Steve saw my first picture id taken of my travel hat made by John, he liked it so much he said it was better than his version. I personally think both men make exceptionally fine hats.

I like your pics fithchamber, but I hat getting my travel hat wet, I know it can take it, but I'm just a nervous about getting it wet, I shouldn't as it can take it, but oh what can I say. It's my dress hat.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That was an odd thing for Steve to say, considering his was the one USED in the movie. How could someone else's be 'better' than the one made by the original maker, in the opinion OF the original maker? It's a conundrum! :-k ;)

Ah well, :lol:

Regards! M
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Michaelson wrote:That was an odd thing for Steve to say, considering his was the one USED in the movie. How could someone else's be 'better' than the one made by the original maker, in the opinion OF the original maker? It's a conundrum! :-k ;)

Regards! M
That'd be "humility".....I know it's a rare thing, but Steve has more than enough of that ability...He's always loved hats more than he loves himself, and if he appreciates something, it's probably because he genuinely thinks it's worth the mention....Not so confounding......

Do you have photos of the original hat that you had Steve set aside a special block for you with? I'm interested in hearing more about that....I'd been under the impression that Steve was left alone to develop the hat shapes with Marc....
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Indiana Croft wrote:Thanks all, funny thing is when Steve saw my first picture id taken of my travel hat made by John, he liked it so much he said it was better than his version. I personally think both men make exceptionally fine hats.

I like your pics fithchamber, but I hat getting my travel hat wet, I know it can take it, but I'm just a nervous about getting it wet, I shouldn't as it can take it, but oh what can I say. It's my dress hat.

And yeah, mine too...Dress hat that is.....It's the one I wear most when I have events to attend or want to make an impression....But as you said, getting it wet doesn't damage it at all...(I've not soaked it to the core, of course...On heavy rain days I wear one I'm more okay with sloping....An Akubra..)....This much rain? Wasn't enough to even sink past John's anti-rain protection...The drops bounced off the felt....

I have several hats now, and John's are the ones I use for formal events...Although I also have a nice Northwest homburg that I love the look of, and wear that a lot too.......
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote:
Do you have photos of the original hat that you had Steve set aside a special block for you with? I'm interested in hearing more about that....I'd been under the impression that Steve was left alone to develop the hat shapes with Marc....
All my hats are made with that block, so there's no 'one' hat. He's used that block for me ever since he started experimenting with his own blocks, long before CS.

As for knowing about Steve's humility, you're preaching to the choir on that point, old friend. Steve and I have been close personal friends since 1996. We've shared family moments, vegetable seeds for our gardens...and we talked at length about his problems he was fighting during the entire CS production.

That's why CS will always be special for many of us here at COW, as a few of us were literally there with Steve as decisions were being made in real time, and advice was being asked for and accepted.

Like I said above, and I've said before, the travel hat always makes me smile as I'll always remember that Saturday morning when Steve and I were talking about his concern about coming up with a grey travel hat with a different, 'look' then seeing my hat block on the big screen back in 2008. :D

Regards! M
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Michaelson wrote:
fifthchamber wrote:
All my hats are made with that block, so there's no 'one' hat. He's used that block for me ever since he started experimenting with his own blocks, long before CS.

As for knowing about Steve's humility, you're preaching to the choir on that point, old friend. Steve and I have been close personal friends since 1996. We've shared family moments, vegetable seeds for our gardens...and we talked at length about his problems he was fighting during the entire CS production.

That's why CS will always be special for many of us here at COW, as a few of us were literally there with Steve as decisions were being made, and advice was being asked for and accepted.

Regards! M
Yeah, I was a little confounded by your being confounded.... Wait.... Hmm? No..... Confused by your confusion? Confizzled by your confoundilation? Puzzled by your lack of perspicacity? :TOH:

Hehe.... ;)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:
Tennessee Smith wrote:Trains aside... M :roll: :lol:

Nothing to do with 'trains, TS. [-X The original block used by Steve was the one he always set aside for MY hats, and he calls them the 'Michaelson' blocks. :M:

When he was trying to come up with an idea to make the travel hat without using his CS block, he asked me what I thought? I looked at my hat hanging on my hall tree, and said, 'why not use my block?' :-k

I'll always remember that discussion, as it was a AH HA!!! moment for Steve! :lol:

Oh, and yeah, well, there WAS that one train..... :[

Regards! Michaelson
Wow...this is one, I did not know. I always find 'The Henry' amusing, in that Steve made a post on this forum looking for a name to call his and Marc's factory built (beaver/rabbit-mix) fedora during the early stages of it's production. I remember a ton of answers to this request, however he (and I assume, Marc) agreed on the concept and thus -- "The Henry." This was my thought. I posted and said: "Simply call it, 'The Henry,' as in my eyes if it was 'Indie's hat,' then it was: 'The Henry'."

I love how ideas, concepts, etc. compound and usually the most simplistic of answers/results come from the simplest thoughts. W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Very true. Sometimes the truth isn't as complicated as the myths and legends that are created by folks. ;)

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
fifthchamber wrote:

That's why CS will always be special for many of us here at COW, as a few of us were literally there with Steve as decisions were being made, and advice was being asked for and accepted.

Regards! M
Yeah, I was a little confounded by your being confounded.... Wait.... Hmm? No..... Confused by your confusion? Confizzled by your confoundilation? Puzzled by your lack of perspicacity? :TOH:

Hehe.... ;)
:rolling:
:M: :tup:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:Very true. Sometimes the truth isn't as complicated as the myths and legends that are created by folks. ;)

Regards! M
Phooey! Ok! Then, I will start a 'legend' here (heck, I was born in Texas and The Good Lord Knows, we Texan's certainly know how to do 'legends.')

In the beginning, a specific hat maker named Steve Delk was commissioned to make a special hat (Fedora for a new production of "Indiana Jones") and whilst submitting his own hats, laughed at and put to shame. Undaunted in his pursuit to produce an accurate, in his eyes, article of headwear he set forth and produced yet other examples of his extreme expertise, thus coming to compromise with the 'powers-the-be' and developed 'The Hat' which was used in the 2008 production of "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Determined to also provide affordable, but 'screen-like-used' hats, he and his partner (overseas) found a manufacturer who would produced good quality hats which would not only resemble the one(s) used in the film(s), but also supply a vast market. In this was but one problem? What to call this new creation. Thus, searching 'high and low,' they found but one man who was the epitome of advertising, sales and promotion science and he said: "Hey guys, call it 'The Henry,' heck, that's Indie's real name. Trust me. It will sell!

And, as they say in history (legends): That is the rest of the story. (Or, was it Paul Harvey who said this? :rolling: ) :- ! Simple, always works. And where it comes from, is where it comes from -- no more, no less. W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:That was an odd thing for Steve to say, considering his was the one USED in the movie. How could someone else's be 'better' than the one made by the original maker, in the opinion OF the original maker? It's a conundrum! :-k

Regards! M

I think it's not that much of a conundrum. Steve liked my hat better then what he made for the movie. I can't argue with his opinion as his opinion matters more then anyones. when it comes to that hat. Far as I'm concern, I love what Steve did for the movie. I would not have changed a thing.

M, have you seen "your block" in person? I have and have a set of them. I know about that block.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed 100%. Yes I have seen the blocks, and to make it clear, Steve was the one who started calling them the 'Michaelson' blocks from the beginning, not me. :lol:

It was one of the first sets he had in his collection when he started getting serious about hat making. He used to experiment with them on my Akubra Fed I's and Campdraft's 'back in the day'. It was the same time he was learning how to cut the dimensional brim with his first cutting tool. He was excited when he finally got it right.

Lots of good memories there. :)

I'm glad to know you have a set in hand as well, John. :TOH:

So, all this bantering aside, any more photos of CS hats anyone wants to share?

Regards! M
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

Michaelson wrote: So, all this bantering aside, any more photos of CS hats anyone wants to share?

Regards! M
Here is mine, I started this topic and didn't post any pictures of my hat .
Hope you guys like it.
https://flic.kr/p/zuhh6G
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Michaelson wrote:Agreed 100%. Yes I have seen the blocks, and to make it clear, Steve was the one who started calling them the 'Michaelson' blocks from the beginning, not me. :lol:

It was one of the first sets he had in his collection when he started getting serious about hat making. He used to experiment with them on my Akubra Fed I's and Campdraft's 'back in the day'. It was the same time he was learning how to cut the dimensional brim with his first cutting tool. He was excited when he finally got it right.

Lots of good memories there. :)

I'm glad to know you have a set in hand as well, John. :TOH:

So, all this bantering aside, any more photos of CS hats anyone wants to share?

Regards! M
Last derailing question, I promise! :CR:

This reminds me of a question I've always wondered about: Does Steve (and smaller hatter operations in general) have the same block shapes in all sizes? Or do they only have them for most sizes, and use other blocks for unusual sizes? Where I'm going with this is that I have an unusually large melon. I've always wondered if say, when I order a CS fedora, if it is the exact same block shape (except on a large size) as the original CS block? Likewise, if I were to order a 'Michaelson,' would it be the same block shape, or would it be on a CS block, or whatever block is available in my size?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I know what Steve told me, but I'll leave that one to John to answer. :TOH:

Just to show I'm not blowing smoke, here's a 'blast from the past' by Steve Delk himself, talking about the 'Michaelson' block.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49318&p=716221#p716221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and the moss green and sable AB's are still in my stable and show some more CS shaped fedoras for THIS thread.. :D

Regard! M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I can't answer for most hatters but from talking with people like Steve, Marc, Brent, Alexander and a few others. You have a set of blocks. Lets take the CS block. there is a set.

Lets say I have a customer who is out of my range. There are a couple things you can do. you can have a larger block made but lets say for example that you largest block is 25 inches. but your customers head is 25 inches. You would need a larger block. you need room for the sweatband. you could use a old hatter trick and I have done this myself. You can block a old throw away body and then block over that with the body you want to make into a hat. This will give you the same shape of the block need with enough room for a 25 inch sweatband.

now, lets say that customer is much larger then the 25 inches and you can't use that old trick. You will need to have a block made. not a big deal but the cost of the block will not justify the price of the block. as I have only had maybe 3-4 people request hats larger then any of my sets and never the same style hat. also to consider that when a block maker replicates a hat properly they can only replicate up or down by one size. for example you have a traditional hat block size 7 1/8 and you want a 7 1/2. you would need to make the 7 1/4 off of the 7 1/8 and then make the 7 3/8 off the 7 1/4 and so on.

I really isn't cost effective to make larger then a certain range as most of my 25 inch block get very little work time. long story made short you learn real fast to what ranges you need sets in.

also to consider about making a hat out of the range of your sets of blocks is that a flange will also be needed. again, more expense on the hat maker/ customer. also sweatband and liners.

best to learn the range and stay in that range quickly. I hope that helps.
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

The CS hat is one of my favorite of all fedora styles. I'm lucky enough to have a couple:

Adventurebilt

Penman

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

BendingOak wrote:I can't answer for most hatters but from talking with people like Steve, Marc, Brent, Alexander and a few others. You have a set of blocks. Lets take the CS block. there is a set.

Lets say I have a customer who is out of my range. There are a couple things you can do. you can have a larger block made but lets say for example that you largest block is 25 inches. but your customers head is 25 inches. You would need a larger block. you need room for the sweatband. you could use a old hatter trick and I have done this myself. You can block a old throw away body and then block over that with the body you want to make into a hat. This will give you the same shape of the block need with enough room for a 25 inch sweatband.

now, lets say that customer is much larger then the 25 inches and you can't use that old trick. You will need to have a block made. not a big deal but the cost of the block will not justify the price of the block. as I have only had maybe 3-4 people request hats larger then any of my sets and never the same style hat. also to consider that when a block maker replicates a hat properly they can only replicate up or down by one size. for example you have a traditional hat block size 7 1/8 and you want a 7 1/2. you would need to make the 7 1/4 off of the 7 1/8 and then make the 7 3/8 off the 7 1/4 and so on.

I really isn't cost effective to make larger then a certain range as most of my 25 inch block get very little work time. long story made short you learn real fast to what ranges you need sets in.

also to consider about making a hat out of the range of your sets of blocks is that a flange will also be needed. again, more expense on the hat maker/ customer. also sweatband and liners.

Awesome, thank you John! That makes perfect sense, and was along the lines of what I was thinking- that more equipment would be needed for truly 'out there' sizes, which would not be worth it in the long run. I remember when I did get one of Steve's special CS run, I'm assuming he had a block in my size, but he did have to do a couple of tricks to make the special liner fit. Makes perfect sense, and reassuring to know I'm not freakish in my head size then! :lol:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

BendingOak wrote:I can't answer for most hatters but from talking with people like Steve, Marc, Brent, Alexander and a few others. You have a set of blocks. Lets take the CS block. there is a set.

Fascinating. Also disappointing. I believe I am one of the 3 or 4 people out of your range. But it all makes a practical sense so I can't complain too much. Downsides of having a big noggin.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Ranger36 wrote:...Downsides of having a big noggin.
That's not a downside... you just need to do the ol' lampshade trick...
It's well documented here for making adjustments!

:TOH:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

alex1152 wrote:I rarely see any Crystal Skull hat around here, it's such a beautiful hat,I would love to see more around here.
Anyone has some pictures?
eh..have mine put up..trying to sell it so dont want it dirty. kotcs to me is the best combination of all the hats.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Crystal Skull hats - brim width?

Post by Howard Weinstein »

alex1152 wrote:I rarely see any Crystal Skull hat around here, it's such a beautiful hat,I would love to see more around here. Anyone has some pictures?
Question for the experts: The gray "train" CRYSTAL SKULL hat always looks to me like it has a slightly wider brim than the regular Indy hat. Does anybody know the brim dimensions of the gray CS hat? Or is it just my imagination?

Speaking of which, I just stumbled across this article from 2008 on Steve Delk and the movie hats, in case it's new to some of you (as it was to me) and you care to read it: http://www.lareecarucker.com/pages/indiana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It is a different block than the standard block, and the brim is a bit wider as well, so no, you're seeing it right.

Regards! Michaelson
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote:It is a different block than the standard block, and the brim is a bit wider as well, so no, you're seeing it right.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks, Michaelson, for confirming my suspicion. I figured you would know, since you are, y'know, the knower of things. Y'know? :TOH:

Just out of curiosity, what are the block differences? Is the gray hat also taller?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :TOH:

I just know the history behind the block, as it is one that Steve has had for literally years, and exclusively made MY hats on while experimenting with hat making back in the 90's. He even calls it his 'Michaelson' block.

In comparison to my actual CS hat, the height is about the same, but the side dents are bit deeper.

Regards! M :M:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote::lol: :TOH:

I just know the history behind the block, as it is one that Steve has had for literally years, and exclusively made MY hats on while experimenting with hat making back in the 90's. He even calls it his 'Michaelson' block.

In comparison to my actual CS hat, the height is about the same, but the side dents are bit deeper.

Regards! M :M:
Yes, I recall the Michaelson block tale from earlier reading.
Thanks, M!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I was wondering isn't there a letter on John's website from Steve saying that he gave the crystal skull blocks to John for the brown hero fedora and the train fedora.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He gave a set of them to John. Last I heard, he still had the originals.

Regards! M
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Ok thanks for info
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Here's the link

....... Now, if a customer wanted a fedora as seen in the first Indy film made using the same wood blocks, felt, ribbon and sweatband they would be out of luck. But I did not want this to be the case for the Crystal Skull fedora. Therefore, John Penman and I have made arrangements to ensure that the Indy IV hat will live on. John has my Crystal Skull blocks (for both the brown Hero hat, as well as the unique gray travel fedora), and uses all my same suppliers, thus the hat he makes for you will be an exact clone of the hats I made for Indy IV..........

Sincerely,

Steve Delk         
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I know the letter. I'm only repeating what Steve told me personally, and that was he still had the originals as he still MAKES them for folks on special order. :TOH:

The pertinent point of the letter has been quoted, as links to banned members sites are prohibited as per the posted rules.

Regards! Michaelson