Real Mark VII vs. Repro

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Real Mark VII vs. Repro

Post by kozmoedave »

For everyday use... I know there are issues with the webbing giving out on the originals, which is understandable, but that's just the strap for the most part, yeah? Which we'd all replace, anyway. Anyone with experience with both originals and repros? Also, with that divider in the middle... Will they fit an iPad in that front pocket?

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Nitz146
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Real Mark VII vs. Repro

Post by Nitz146 »

I opted for the repro instead of the original mark VII so I cannot comment on the original, but I can easily fit an iPad in my front pocket on the repro.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have, I think, 4 originals and 2 reproductions - an older version from Todds and one from Magnoli. I understand the newer Magnoli version is even nicer than the already very nice older version.

I have not had any issues with the originals either deteriorating or otherwise falling apart. The copies are good quality, but the originals have a much tighter appearance and feel; and they retain their "structure" better. I tend to carry one of the originals rather than a copy; although most days I need more capacity so I carry a Belstaff. On both the originals and the copies I remove the divider in the center pocket to make the bag more useful, but a full size iPad fits fine in the front pocket if you want to keep the divider. :TOH:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Thanks, guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I've only ever inspected one original (which I chose not buy), and I would agree that they tend to 'feel' more solid and Indy-like. While the bag itself felt strong, the webbing didn't give me a great feeling. One minor issue with both originals and reproductions is finding the exact color you want. Colors seem to vary a lot with the originals and the reproductions. I'm not up-to-speed on any recent developments, but Todd's repro's from a while back were very green, and Magnoli's are browner. Also on this subject, I personally have an issue with cutting up original militaria (if I wanted to remove the divider). I have no qualms about others doing it, just myself, and so I prefer replicas.

All that said, I've only ever owned two Mk VII's, both Magnoli replicas. The first was from about 8 years back, and very tan-colored, and the newer one just arrived last month, with a beautiful dark-khaki color. I carried my first one on many adventures, entrusting many electronics with it, and it never once let me down; the new one feels even better! The fabric on the latter feels very strong, but flimsier than the original I handled. However, asking me about screen-accurate bag color is unwise, as I am partially green colorblind, and have to often guess when it comes to certain shades of green. ](*,)
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Sounds like either would be a good choice. It says a lot that more than one person feels the originals are better constructed, especially considering their age. Personally, I'm not all that concerned with screen accuracy as far as these go, especially if it was an original anyway.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I carry a repro for small fishing excursions and small game hunting. You could probably fit an ipad mini, no idea on a full size. I dont carry stuff like that. I do know that my WPG repro will fit a small tackle case, a water bottle, and some other necessities. I dont like using military surplus for everyday wear and tear. I consider almost all my military surplus stuff to be "retired" and I preserve it for future admiration. Im a strange bird in that I love collecting stuff but never use it. If I get an itch to use I get a repro. Hence my Steranko 1936 belt setup I use. I would never subject an original setup to hunting or camping so I ordered a repro set and hunted with it last week. Im glad it was a repro because it ended up getting messy. But if you plan to be city slicking with it, you'd probably not hurt an original. (If that even bothers you, like I said I'm a tad out there) :)

Either way, great bag for daily use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

I've been carrying an original for 3 years and 8 months as a diaper bag, very sturdy, kept the inner dividers and I like to keep a water bottle in it (small). Like said would have room for a tablet.

I do have a small hole for the last year from dry rot ( I guess I've never bothered to look up what it looks like and I'm still not going to) but it has bot gotten any bigger over that year I've noticed it ( and honestly probably longer because I remember seeing a spot there when I got it).
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've carried an original since 1998. I bought this from Noel Howard, it was an unissued pack. I've carried this across the US on any trip ranging from Las Vegas to New Hampshire.... including Disney World. I've taken it on every hiking trip. It easily fits an iPad, books, etc. I've been able to fit 2-3 normal size water bottles in it as well.

It's still works well but it is on it's way out. the webbing that holds the rings in for the strap are pretty worn and the inside stitching for the pocket dividers is starting to give as well. I love this bag, it's lasted me 17 years on top of surviving in a warehouse since the 40s. I'm probably going to aim for a repro at this point. Originally I was going to try a Todd's but since he no longer sells his, I am looking at Magnoli.

:TOH:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Good call on its use as a diaper bag; doesn't get much more manly than that. :TOH:

For what it's worth, backstagejack, Todd's carrying them again.
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by doppelganger »

I went for real as I got mine straight from my local army surplus for £15. I also want to go for a used look to my gear so saved me having to distress it. It feels nice and solid and as aleady stated it holds ipads and books with ease.

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Is that one used? I normally give mine a wash in the washing machine, cool wash. They have stood up to it, something that one of the repros I had couldn't claim to do! YMMV.

The reasons are:
1) They tend to be a bit musty after 70-80 years and
2) The filters on the masks had asbestos in them, so just to be safe....
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by doppelganger »

Yeah I washed it. The army surplus shop claimed it had been done already as they know the score with the asbestos but I did it again anyway.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I've not handled any reproductions, but I'm very pleased with my original. It came from Endicotts with a condition classed as 'Used Super', or something like that, meaning hardly used at all. At first I was concerned about the colour being rather green, but after asking for feedback on the forum, I'm happy with the colour. I changed the strap of course, but I've chosen to leave the internal dividers as I think it lends strength to the bag. I was actually very pleased with how stiff and sturdy the material is. I assume it's been stored in protective conditions. I take it to work and have carried in it a thick book, my diary, a tin for my e-cig vaporiser, my mobile and a few bits for lunch.
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

The Magnoli repro is as good as you can get in my opinion. Great colour great construction, and it's new so you don't have to worry about rot or asbestos. Also good price.
Yankee752
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Yankee752 »

I have an original that I...borrowed from my dad :CR: when I was a kid. Been using it heavily since the late 80s finally retired it as it was starting to show its age. It's been hunting, hiking, swimming, in snow, held me from falling out of a tree, run over, walked on, used as a pillow, used as a sand bag and has traveled across the states and overseas. And I finally put a small tear initial from a rosebush thorn lol.
So a couple years ago I ordered a Todds and WPG. I like the color of Todds and the inside compartments but hate the hardware the snaps pulled out the first day I got it and the rings have bent.
The WPG is solid and looks like my original but not as top quality or sturdy material the hardware is more like the original and has become my new go bag. But I still find myself holding it or double checking to make sure everything is still in it from time to time. Makes a good pillow but I don't think I can put it through as much abuse :TOH:
A good leather strap is just as hard to find still looking for one that won't bleed all over everything.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Dangerfreak wrote:I've not handled any reproductions, but I'm very pleased with my original. It came from Endicotts with a condition classed as 'Used Super', or something like that, meaning hardly used at all. At first I was concerned about the colour being rather green, but after asking for feedback on the forum, I'm happy with the colour. I changed the strap of course, but I've chosen to leave the internal dividers as I think it lends strength to the bag. I was actually very pleased with how stiff and sturdy the material is. I assume it's been stored in protective conditions. I take it to work and have carried in it a thick book, my diary, a tin for my e-cig vaporiser, my mobile and a few bits for lunch.
Man that one looks like it was made yesterday, I have purchased 2 originals from WPG but they don't look as good as this one.
Kt Templar wrote:Is that one used? I normally give mine a wash in the washing machine, cool wash. They have stood up to it, something that one of the repros I had couldn't claim to do! YMMV.

The reasons are:
1) They tend to be a bit musty after 70-80 years and
2) The filters on the masks had asbestos in them, so just to be safe....
I really don't dare to try to wash it on the washing machine since I have read that the material is rotting because of age and don't want to damage it, I have done wash by hand and with delicate laundry soap, even after that one bag started loosing it's coloring after the 2nd wash. But they do definetely need at least a first wash since they usually are very dusty and to take away some of that old smell.