What would Indy's jacket have actually been made of?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What would Indy's jacket have actually been made of?

Post by kozmoedave »

Yes, I'm sure this has been covered, but there are like 96 pages to sift through. Considering the time period and requirements (different climates, durability, etc.), what do you think it would have been made of in reality?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: What would Indy's jacket have actually been made of?

Post by CM »

kozmoedave wrote:Yes, I'm sure this has been covered, but there are like 96 pages to sift through. Considering the time period and requirements (different climates, durability, etc.), what do you think it would have been made of in reality?
You kind of need to modify this question. What would it have been if it were an actual period jacket pattern (instead of a 1980's style modified A2)

Answer: if it were an A1 - capeskin (sheep); if it were an A2 (goat or horse hide); if it were a half-belt (a common pattern from the period) horse or steer hide; if it were a utility style jacket that was not a half-belt but similar to the one they used in the film then probably goatskin.

The pattern they used in the film is designed to accommodate to access the whip and holster, so the back with the strange flap is unlike anything you'll see from the time. The front is simply an adapted A2 jacket. Overall as a pattern it is cut baggy - off the shoulders - as per the 1980's not trim as it would probably be if it were the 1930's.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Last things. In choosing a period jacket pattern you would need to ask yourself what is a 1930's archaeologist with a penchant for flight more likely to wear in warmer climes? Answer (IMO); an A1 flying jacket in capeskin (originally speced as goat but in practice the actual jackets were made from Sth African sheep). A period A1 feels like a light windbreaker - the other hides are more like armor.

These days we're much more knowing about costumes and period accuracy and I doubt that the pattern we know would have been accepted in a contemporary movie. Raiders was approached with a fairly serious tone. The franchise hadn't yet descended into sloppy cartoon archness. :mrgreen:

If I were doing Indy today I'd choose an A1 or a half-belt - depending on setting. You could give Indy a lambskin Levi's 1930's half-belt - a Menlo - but that's now Bond costume territory.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you look at the catalogs from the 1930's time period, the overall most offered hide for leather jackets was cowhide, followed by horse.

Considering he was working with a professors salary, my vote would be cowhide.

Regard! Michaelson
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

For some fun check out period replica or based leather jackets, go to http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/prod ... erojackets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do a find on page search for "30s" :)

Here are some faves of mine:

Aeromarine (very similar to the A1 military jacket as mentioned above, except without the elastic fabric)

Mulligan

Half Belt Deluxe

Northeaster