Alden 'Restoration' on my 405's...I am furious!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Alden 'Restoration' on my 405's...I am furious!

Post by Kokopelli »

I sent my 8 year old 405's back for the $169 'Restoration' service. About 8 weeks later, they showed up today. I was so excited to open the box! There was a second, smaller box beside the green shoebox- I opened it to find a very nice pair of cedar shoe trees, and got even more excited! Alden is a classy company, I thought.

Then I opened the shoe box.

I was absolutely floored. They look hideous! The ONLY thing I can see that they did was:
- replace the sole (with a completely different style, and crooked and stained)
-put in new heel insoles (unevenly)
-provide new laces

The soles they put on it are horrible looking- they aren't even 'even'! They stick out a LOT farther than the original type, making them look like crappy, cheap work boots, and they stained the top edge on one of them in about a 5" section.
The bottom is some sort of spongy rubber. The heel is a black, single thick piece of rubber that is taller than the original.
The heel 'pads' on the inside are sloppily thrown in there, with one of them 1/4" away from the back of the shoe, and the other one overlapping the back of the shoe.

The rest of the shoe was not touched.

I cannot believe this is acceptable to Alden!!

I am trying to calm down before I contact them. I plan to send them pictures.
Does anyone have a good contact for them, for this kind of issue?

Pics coming ASAP!!
Last edited by Kokopelli on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Alden 'Restoration' on my 405's...I am furious!

Post by Kokopelli »

Enjoy:

This is not 'forced perspective; the soles are really that out of whack:

note toe stitching still missing, eyelets, tongue,

All scuffs still there as I left them,

Is assymetry in heel pads the new thing?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/ ... %20066.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

NOTHING done except the horrible soles and heel pads!

check out the fresh, new stains on the fresh, new sole stitching...like that would matter anyway

$170 bucks for this? If I knew all they would do is screw up the shoes I have worn almost every day for the last 8 years, I would have just bought new ones!
Last edited by Kokopelli on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I'm with you. That would not be acceptable work to me at any price. :x

I would call and let them know - and keep climbing the ladder until I spoke with someone who would make it right. :whip:
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Here's hoping they make this right for you. It looks like they forgot to finish the job or decided what they were doing wasn't working, so they sent it back. They should be embarrassed by this.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Wow! Just... wow! I truly hope you are able, at minimum, to get a refund for the work plus shipping. Optimally, they could offer you a huge discount on a new pair. For such a high-end shoe company, this truly does seem sub-substandard.

I appreciate that you shared this experience with us. It will definitely save me some money down the road. From time to time I consider investing in a pair of "real" Indy boots. Lately, though, I've read some criticisms suggesting that Alden's quality is in decline. Your photos document that sad reality. The likelihood that I will ever risk investing in a pair of Alden boots has now dropped to nearly zero. I'll stick with my close-enoughs -- I could go through several pairs for the cost of one shoddy Alden refurb.

Wishing you luck in receiving some kind of compensation for this pathetic slop-job.
Last edited by davidd on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Wow... I'll consider myself lucky that Alden rejected my boots when I sent them for "restoration". I only lost out on the shipping cost. Then I handed these over to a local cobbler and he fixed them up the way I wanted.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind, the restoration section of the factory is a separate operation from the manufacturing side of the company, so let's not paint the entire company black based on this example of EXTREMELY shoddy repair work. =;

Alden's are still GREAT shoes and their quality top rate and worth the price. I'd just be very hesitant about sending them anything for repair now, especially if you can find a good local repair shop to do the same work and it's apparent that their QA folks even allowed this to leave the shop floor!

That said, I recall in years past of people raising the roof when they got their shoes back completely restored and only wanted the soles/heels replaced and NONE of the wear and tear fixed on the top. They had worked hard to GET their 'Indy boots' to look that beat up. It's a 'reach', but maybe the worker was one of those who got burned by one of those jobs and leaned in the other direction for this job.

The only thing that derails that theory is the lousy job done with the mis-matched soles. Unbelievable. #-o

What ever the case, YOU should have been contacted and asked, or, as Indy said, they should have just rejected the repair job and offered you a discount on a replacement pair.

I'd definitely be pounding on their door at management level or higher until you get satisfaction. That was NOT money well spent. :x

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'd send them back with a note and tell them you paid $169.50 or whatever, for the restoration service and they didn't even touch the leather..? Get it to your satisfaction. We pay high dollar for these.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Do let us know what happens.

I have several pairs of their shoes including a number of shell cordovans that go for nearly $800 a pair now, and at this point I would not send any of mine to them for repair or restoration. :TOH:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I know when I sent my 405 boots back for restoration, they didn't touch the uppers at all. I'm pretty sure they won't unless you specifically tell them to on the order form that comes with the bags to send the boots off in.

Either way, I'd contact Alden and have them fix the boots up for you. When I've dealt with them they've been very helpful in the past.

Either way, anyone that doesn't want to deal with Alden Restoration, should check of B Nelson shoe repairs in the New York City. They have the mail in form and all. They are VERY good, and reasonably priced.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I got a phone call returned from a Mr Clark, who is a sales manager. He listened to my story and asked that I return them to his attention. I asked for his email as well, so I could go ahead and send him the pictures to look at.
I've got them ready to drop off at the post office;
I'm thankful they will at least be addressed, but now I'm out thirteen bucks shipping and who knows how long again without my boots...
I made sure he understood I wear these every day because of spinal injury...hopefully I see them soon.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

TheExit148 wrote:I know when I sent my 405 boots back for restoration, they didn't touch the uppers at all. I'm pretty sure they won't unless you specifically tell them to on the order form that comes with the bags to send the boots off in.

Either way, I'd contact Alden and have them fix the boots up for you. When I've dealt with them they've been very helpful in the past.

Either way, anyone that doesn't want to deal with Alden Restoration, should check of B Nelson shoe repairs in the New York City. They have the mail in form and all. They are VERY good, and reasonably priced.
That's insane! A 170 dollar resole is what it is then, and they should stop offering a 'restoration' and call it what it is.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I know that at times, Alden makes it seem like you work for them, but they are supposed to be working for you, the customer! I've never seen any co. so prideful about their boots and I live in the heart of boot maker mecca.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Kokopelli wrote:I got a phone call returned from a Mr Clark, who is a sales manager. He listened to my story and asked that I return them to his attention. I asked for his email as well, so I could go ahead and send him the pictures to look at.
I'm thankful they will at least be addressed, but now I'm out thirteen bucks shipping and who knows how long again without my boots...
I made sure he understood I wear these every day because of spinal injury...hopefully I see them soon.
you have a spinal injury and wear normal everyday Aldens?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Kokopelli wrote:I got a phone call returned from a Mr Clark, who is a sales manager. He listened to my story and asked that I return them to his attention. I asked for his email as well, so I could go ahead and send him the pictures to look at.

yep, my neck and lumbar vertebrae are screwed together, caged, and fused...I have dead people bone put in place of discs, and carbon-fiber and titanium holding me together!

...I am SkyNet.

the 405's are the most comfortable shoes I have, and I've tried several. I can tell a difference from not wearing them them for the last 2 months- my back and knees both hurt.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Kokopelli wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:

yep, my neck and lumbar vertebrae are screwed together, caged, and fused...I have dead people bone put in place of discs, and carbon-fiber and titanium holding me together!

...I am SkyNet.

the 405's are the most comfortable shoes I have, and I've tried several. I can tell a difference from not wearing them them for the last 2 months- my back and knees both hurt.
dang..well Alden need to use you as advertisement..lol..maybe get some $$ promoting them :-k
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Plain normal everyday Aldens?

they may be a work boot but they are really an orthopedic shoe designed for comfort and whatever else an orthopedic shoe does, been too long since I bought mine lol

wish I could see all the pics you posted with the heels but I can't see them for some reason.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Just from experience, you have to request that the moc toe stitching be re-sewn. Also, I don't believe refinishing of the leather is included in the restoration package.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

UPDATE: I got them back. I am as mad ad Hecky-Durn.

Here's a copy of the email I just sent-

Mr. Clark,

UPS delivered my 405's; thank you for a speedy return.

Unfortunately, it seems that the result of your efforts were in vain. The right shoe has a properly placed heel pad inside it, but the stained stitching on the out-sole is still present.

On the left shoe, again, the heel pad is properly placed, but the new out-sole on it is absolutely dreadful looking. There is also a gap between the heel pad and the sole underneath (pictures attached).
However, the cosmetic problems are of no matter because now the shoe does not fit! It feels like a whole size smaller than it was...I can only assume that the upper was pulled tighter to attach the new sole? I cannot wear it!

I am so upset! I have sung the praises of, and recommended Aldens to everyone who would listen to me for nearly ten years now, and now I can't wear my favorite shoes- the shoes that I have depended on daily to help relieve crippling back pain. Surely this is not typical Alden's quality.

I would appreciate your help once again to remedy this, as quickly as possible, however that can be obtained.

Thank you,

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:shock: #-o
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Wow, what's going on over there? Like you, I've had nothing but good things to say about Alden's for years but I may have to think twice before recommending them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I have tried to find contact info for Aldens' upper management with no luck so far. I want to get the pictures to the president or ceo, or someone who cares about the company...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here's an interesting discussion regarding this very situation, and from 4 years ago.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru ... n-Business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and here's the CEO's name.

https://www.lead411.com/Arthur_Tarlow_12589223.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! M
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Awesome, thanks.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

yep..these people want to charge 300-1000$ for a pair of shoes/boots...they better dangwell make them right and fix them right..
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I forwarded an email with what I believe is the top of the totem pole there- Arthur Tarlow, thanks to Michaelson.

So we'll see...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

youngjedi71 wrote:yep..these people want to charge 300-1000$ for a pair of shoes/boots...they better dangwell make them right and fix them right..
new 405's are $522.00
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Kokopelli wrote:I forwarded an email with what I believe is the top of the totem pole there- Arthur Tarlow, thanks to Michaelson.

So we'll see...
I know everyone e-mails, but I would pick up the phone and dial (508) 947-3926 and ask to speak to the guy directly. They'll put you off, of course, and it will
Take preseverence to get there, but a civil phone call has tremendous impact. Way more than email or regular mail.

You have a legitimate gripe here. They need to make it right.

Do make sure you ask and write down every name of every minion you go through - that way if you never succeed in talking to the guy at the top the letter (which will be cc'd to shoe blogs and fashion magazines) will be factual and show how shabbily you've been treated.

Just food for thought.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What I have found disturbing is that I've read through several forums and websites after doing a quick 'look-see' for the info for Kokopelli and have discovered this attitude and fairly shoddy application of work has been going on for at least 5 years.

Posts going back to 2010 are almost point by point in comparison to what occurred with these shoes, including folks trying to get answers about brand NEW custom shoes they ordered that arrived in just as shoddy a condition new in the box as this restoration. :-k

The problem we have is the fact we're stuck in the narrow field of use/collecting, as the character Indiana Jones wore Alden 405's in all of the films. It's not like we can just say 'heck with them, we'll just go with another manufacturer'. There WERE no 'other manufacturers' involved. #-o

This gets down to the question, do you really want to sink the kind of money now required to purchase a real pair of 'Indy boots' these days, or find something 'like them' for less money, and actual customer service/backing of the company that made them?

It really does make one pause and think. We didn't have these issues with Aldens when we started in this hobby, I can assure you. =;

From what I've been reading over the past couple days, it appears it is happening with a LOT of their shoe styles and not just the 405's, so apparently the QC is TERRBILY lacking at the shop anymore, and no one seems to know why. :-s

There was a time 'we' collectively believed it was because they were just tired of dealing with the Indy 'hobbyist' for these shoes and didn't deliver top notch work as a deterrent to getting our business, but apparently it's all across the board and has been for a while. Something is wrong at Aldens.

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

don't know how Alden runs their shop, but it has to be in the work. Have they outsourced to another country? Is there a rate of attrition, or a lack of retention of experienced employees? Its in the labor it appears. Some prefer to collect a check and pride in workmanship is disappearing.

I faced a similar dilemma a few years ago, I needed to get the Aldens refurbished, but the difference is I wanted new soles but wanted to keep the warn look. Fortunately, we have a family owned business locally that did the work for about $28 or so, and I walked away with good soles.

Maybe the only lesser profit margin than retail is possibly the food industry, and I think as time goes on, CE may very well replace more SA items. There are some good CE choices out there in terms of the boots, and like some have said, the wool cavalry twill almost look too nice to rough up. I know that with anything, you prefer that some articles look authentic, some its ok if its close, or GE..? :P

These Aldens kinda' represent the signs o' the times currently.....
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

With the biggest difference being these Aldens are supposed to be orthopedic shoes, not simply dress shoes or a costume piece. There's no way the shoes will provide the proper support with the work that's been described.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

not everyone needs ortho though, if you are just wanting to recreate a look, it is getting to be quite the expensive item.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Indiana Jeff wrote:With the biggest difference being these Aldens are supposed to be orthopedic shoes, not simply dress shoes or a costume piece. There's no way the shoes will provide the proper support with the work that's been described.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
exactly, and what they were for me.

here is the response from the 'Sales Manager' that I delt with initially on them:

I am embarrassed to see this. Aside from the welt which seems to be fine, there are obvious problems here that should not have left the factory. Please send the boots back so that we can make things right.

So that means another ~3 weeks minimum without them, if I send them in AGAIN. I would rather get a refund on the money and buy some other shoes. I start a new job on the 21st and wsa relying on having these.
I am going to call here in a few minutes and ask for Mr. Tarlow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Kokopelli wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:With the biggest difference being these Aldens are supposed to be orthopedic shoes, not simply dress shoes or a costume piece. There's no way the shoes will provide the proper support with the work that's been described.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
exactly, and what they were for me.

here is the response from the 'Sales Manager' that I delt with initially on them:

I am embarrassed to see this. Aside from the welt which seems to be fine, there are obvious problems here that should not have left the factory. Please send the boots back so that we can make things right.

So that means another ~3 weeks minimum without them, if I send them in AGAIN. I would rather get a refund on the money and buy some other shoes. I start a new job on the 21st and wsa relying on having these.
I am going to call here in a few minutes and ask for Mr. Tarlow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Good luck on that and let us know how it goes, please. :TOH:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

:tup:

I was just about to call when Mr Clark sent another email, stating that he should have been more clear; the boots will be replaced upon receipt of mine...

I am thrilled that they will be replaced, so I am thankful for that, however I'm out another $18 shipping them back, and will be shoeless for an unknown amount of time.

Once I do have the new ones in hand, I will make a concerted effort to speak with Mr Tarlow about my experience.

I'll keep y'all updated as well.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Kokopelli wrote::tup:

I was just about to call when Mr Clark sent another email, stating that he should have been more clear; the boots will be replaced upon receipt of mine...

I am thrilled that they will be replaced, so I am thankful for that, however I'm out another $18 shipping them back, and will be shoeless for an unknown amount of time.

Once I do have the new ones in hand, I will make a concerted effort to speak with Mr Tarlow about my experience.

I'll keep y'all updated as well.
Great news! Now... the wait :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Alden is becoming famous for their 'wait' times. Beginning of last year I inquired about the availability of the 405 cxl boots, was quoted by Alden sales rep that they would be in stock again by June, when in fact they didn't show up until August: That's an 8-month wait for a pair of boots that cost half a grand. And this latest Alden nightmare thread prompted me to stock up on a few extra pairs of 405 heels to keep my boots functioning should they need repair at my local cobbler, because I'm sure as heck not returning them to Alden for $170! :Dietrich:
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

I just caught this thread and wow is the wait frustrating, for sure. So inconvenient on the part of the customer. I'm glad to hear Alden is simply giving you a new pair of boots at this point, but like others have said this isn't the first I've heard of inconsistent quality with their restoration service.

I know of another option for people considering resoles and restoration, aside from B Nelson, who has been mentioned already and has an above average reputation, especially on the StyleForum. While on that forum's official Alden thread, I learned about Aram at AH One Shoes who had worked as the repairman for SkyValet in DC for years and years. Anyway he is now running his own shop and guys with more expensive shoes than Aldens swear by him. He was running a special for Dainite soles at $117 (including shipping--cheaper than B Nelson) so I went for it and got my JCrew cordovan boots resoled from stock leather to Dainite (commonly seen on Viberg boots and extremely durable, hard-wearing, long-lasting). I'm beyond impressed at his end product, and willingness and patience to discuss the work, minute details, etc, throughout the process. I know he has access to soles like Dainite and the Alden commando, which appear somehow to be hard to come by...so he probably has access to the neocork, as well. You'd just have to ask him. The site is http://www.ahoneshoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you can see pics of the work he did to my boots on his blog at http://www.ahoneshoes.com/Alden-Boot-Co ... 8_b_7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent information! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

This reminds me of the Kimber quality control issues that started to get baaaaad in the mid 2000s. I sure hope this gets fixed, especially for the OPs pain relief!

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

New.
Boots.

a couple of things I noticed- the lining is now leather instead of cloth, and the toe stitching looks a little 'squared off' instead of a smooth semi-circle.
Look how much nicer the soles are on these compared to the 'restoration' job!

All-in all I'm pleased with the outcome. I wish I had not had to go through this, and miss out on almost 4 months of having my boots, though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's behind you now. Enjoy your new boots! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Break out the sandpaper and acetone!

Just kidding. Enjoy them, I'm glad to see they made things right.

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Congratulations on the replacement boots!
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Looks like the quality is all there on that pair.

Congrats!

Now go wear them out!! :D
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Always love a happy ending. Congrats! :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

ChrisMD wrote:Break out the sandpaper and acetone!
Careful. Michaelson can have you banned for that kind of language. :lol: