Does just any moc toe matter?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Does just any moc toe matter?

Post by Texan Scott »

I wanted to raise a few questions and observations about the gear as we know it. As the title implies, what is "good enough" or CE, and does it have to be strictly SA in construction and appearance for it to matter? There seems to be a cycle of providers, such that certain repros tend to cycle in and out, and it sort of depends upon when you enter the picture, as to accessibility. A vendor may offer pants and shirts, boots, and then discontinue them, once they are sold out. Obviously, there are several different points at to why, such as cost, the ability to resell them, sourcing the right fabric, etc. All of this means that at varying points in time, you have to 'make do' with CE's or be lucky enough to catch an article used in the Bazaar or on Ebay, etc., so timing means a lot.

How have you been able to answer that shortfall of supply, does SA gear really matter to you, and what is your take on CE articles of the gear? Do you think that some of the high prices for SA repros are justified as a collector? :-k
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Does just any moc toe matter?

Post by Gorak »

Love your discussion questions....
For me, I think it depends on what my tastes are. Like the hat and jacket were very important but I wasn't too worried about the shirt, pants or bag.
I feel that some vendors might be squeezing all they can out of it price wise but if it caters to the particular item's that I am a stitch naxi about, AND they get it right, then the price you choose to pay is the price you choose to pay. You can go up thousands of different retail stores and not be able to find THE jacket of your dreams! :[
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Since my intention is to wear the gear at events and around kids (the library's summer reading theme this year was heroes, so a visit by Indy worked well!) I almost prefer CE because I have to consider performance, comfort and cost. If the hat and jacket are pretty spot on and everything else is really close enough the effect of the sum is greater than the parts.
I found a Belgian gas mask bag that is REALLY close to the MK VII. It is missing the metal disc and the metal filters/drains on the bottom. To me, my version of the bag makes more sense. I found a shirt I liked and had a seamstress just sew the lines down the front of the shirt. I ordered some Sebago boots because I liked the fit and color. It's not screen accurate, but they are moc toe boots. The thing I need to save up for is a better whip in the right color, but my 9' four-plait black whip seems convincing enough to people- especially since I can crack it!
It was amazing to think about how much stuff could be put together for an Indy outfit- add in the gloves, belts, whip holster, pocket knife, a movie prop or a journal. How about a passport? Dust/ fuller's earth? Spiderwebs? Distressing and weathering? It's a lot to keep up with! I am content with CE.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

this might sound a bit odd, but too me its more about the way the gear 'feels' when being worn than the actual 'look' of it . for example- i've got the aldens but its my old beaten up super sole redwings that just feel more indy. I've got the wested cavalry twill but they always feel like dress trousers i'd wear for special occasions, my old khaki docker trousers seem to feel more indy. so for me screen accurate is not always the way to go.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I am more of a jacket, hat and boot guy. I do have a couple Indy shirts but favor other non-Indy CE shirts.

For moc toe boots, I have 3-pair of Alden, 2-pair of RW models, the Kenton J Crew boots, the Frye and Thursdays' boots. I find myself wearing the CE boots more as I don't want to screw up the expensive ones. Will wear the Alden boots as an office boot. :oops:

I have jackets from most of the established makers in all price ranges. Don't really have a favorite. The most expensive one and most SA is not wore much and is not in the group of ones I usually wear the most. I just like the fit of the others better.

My brown Indy hats are from a bunch of makers. I never bought the most expensive custom ones but mine are well made and I doubt I will ever wear them all out in my lifetime. :lol:

I never see myself ever wearing the full Indy outfit anywhere and I think people will want to go all out in the hobby or just pick parts they like and incorporate that into their normal clothing items. I am not hung up on SA and just wear some items as I really dig that time frame vibe that the Indy movies reintroduced to the modern era.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott wrote:I wanted to raise a few questions and observations about the gear as we know it. As the title implies, what is "good enough" or CE.......
Wouldn't that be 'GE'? :-k

:Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

GE...meaning the proverbial light bulb above the noggin.

Good enough being what is acceptable for you, and CE referring more to the accuracy of the repro or an article purchased in substitute for a more authentic repro.

...just make it up as you go..... :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

For those in our audience who haven't figured out what CE stands for without a program, it means 'close enough'. :TOH:

Regards! M
Nitz146
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Nitz146 »

Yea I'm another CE. I want to be screen accurate as much as possible but function overrules because I'll be using alot of the gear in everyday life. I only use the full outfit on Halloween when I go to a party.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

SA does not really matter to me, especially with footwear and pants. I can justify "exactness" prices when it comes to my collection of real WW2 Militaria because some things can only be had at those extreme prices. With fictional collectibles such as Indy stuff, I tend to be happy with close enoughs. Typically I go by price and the vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I don't really do this as a hobby, exactly. I just happen to like the style of the Indy hat, jacket and shirt. They're all "street-legal" enough that they can be worn out in the everyday world without people pointing and giggling. If they also form the basis for a decent Halloween costume, even better.

But unless I'm entering a media convention costume contest, where SA really matters, most people either won't know or won't care.

For other folks hanging out here, whatever make 'em happy and they can afford without breaking into the kids' piggy bank (or the IRA or 401K), go for it.
The rest of us DO like looking at the pics posted by the SA guys and gals

:)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I also think that there are some important pieces that I pay close attention to the SA of and then everything else is CE. I'll fuss over the bow on a fedora or the collar length on a jacket but not necessarily so a shirt or pair of pants.

Dave
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I break stuff down into three categories; CE, Accurate, and Screen Accurate. While having gear that is truly screen Accurate is nice, I find that to be either unattainable or just plain impractical. I like the overall design to be accurate, when possible.
So, I feel no need to get Alden's of the perfect colr and distress them to be SA. That style, in a brown I like is fine.
The jacket style is important to me, but I dislike the supposedly SA length, and don't care about the small details, like facings, zipper side, strap buckles, etc. I feel the same about the shirt. In the end, though, the feel and spirit of the gear trumps everything.
I have noticed, however, that I developed a hang-up about the pants after owning Noel Howard's. There was just something about how they looked and felt, that nothing else has felt right since.
I guess it's like any other aspect of our lives. We're all picky about certain points. And it really keeps the hobby fresh. How boring would it be if we all had or aimed for the exact same gear.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:While having gear that is truly screen Accurate is nice, I find that to be either unattainable or just plain impractical.
You said it, Chewbacca Jones. SA to me is the utopia that you can burn a lot of money, time and effort trying to get to- and never be able to get there.
I burnt out on this hobby and had to take a break because I was so obsessed with the details, discoveries and theories that COW members were coming up with.

To me the fedora is the most fascinating part of the gear, followed by the jacket and the shirt.
For myself 'Accurate' is where I'm at.

It's great to be reading this forum again!