Flesh & Hide Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Flesh & Hide Jacket

Post by captblitzdawg »

On the advice of Indiana Jeff, I am starting this thread for the Flesh & Hide Indy jacket. I got this jacket in January and I am pleased with it. It was about $100, and they agreed to switch the sizes when the first jacket didn't fit me in the arms and shoulders. It seems to be durable, given how much I wore it before the summer set in. It comes with a breast pocket on the inside on both sides. I'm not an expert on the Indy jackets, but this one seemed to follow the needed design elements.
Image Image Image Image Image
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flesh & Hide Jacket

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for starting this thread. It will prove helpful for other members seeking information.

Definitely a serviceable Indy jacket and you certainly bring the jacket to life. :tup:

Copying my comments from another thread:

"Interesting I just saw a reference to this company for the first time this week. I was looking at Jurassic World vest options and F&H was one of the companies mentioned as making reproductions.

They sell through Amazon and eBay as well as their own website. Based on eBay feedback the jacket was shipped from Pakistan despite the company location listed as Illinois. Not necessarily a deal breaker, there are high quality jackets being made in Pakistan as well as low quality jackets made in the US. I would suspect the leather quality to be a bit low given the overall prices.

A real telltale sign of a reasonably decent seller is they appear to be using their own pictures in the ads. Any seller that only uses movie/production pictures are almost always selling junk. And that they were willing to make an exchange for sizing for you is another good sign in their favor.

I found the listing for their Indy jacket offering and whereas there many details that are off, it is a reasonable look for the price. Based on the couple of pictures you have posted of yourself so far, it works really well."

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Thanks so much, Jeff. The jacket went on an Indy tour of several area schools to promote summer reading (the theme was heroes and Indy seems to be a strong supporter of libraries (even if he's trashed a couple of them). It has made appearances for comic cons, church VBS groups and children's hospitals. It is light enough it can be worn when it's not quite jacket weather and you are still fairly comfortable.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, I can see that it's got some obvious variations from the real deal, but I like it. I'm a firm believer in "the spirit of things" and this seems to capture it. I particularly like the buckles on the side straps, and it looks like it's breaking in nicely. :tup:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

It looks like a great jacket for the price. Anyone except someone from this forum will think it's spot on the real deal.

Besides, we're all in this because of our love for Indy. When I first started out (age 12) I wore a blue jean jacket w/ some green canvas affair that I bought from JC Penney.

It took months of work and I finally acquired a Wested back in '98 and that's the last Indy jacket I've been able to spring for. With it being an old style pattern it's just about as accurate as this one, to be fair. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Another positive mark for this jacket is that it was able to be distressed at all. Plenty of horror stories of members trying to distress jackets and the leather just peels off in strips at the slightest attempt.

I'm with you there, Jack. My Wested circa 2000 has more wrong with it than right, but I love it just the same.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

Thanks, guys. I have looked at the other film jackets against this one and , to me, it seems they were almost combining the LC and CS patterns from the stunt jackets. The sleeves look more reinforced at the end, giving it a cuff look at times, and the arms have the added seam across the triceps. I have used a wire brush and a pocket knife to start the weathering on the jacket and let nature take its course from there. Once it begins to turn cooler, I will probably give it a good restorative wipe-down.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Love it. Those buckles see more practical than the typical slides. Im sure they hold better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Lookin' good! Definitely not the jacket for the stitch counters, but who cares, neither is my wings Steer hide. You can't beat a jacket that looks the part, wears in well, and only cost you $100.00!
Wear it, beat it, enjoy it.

B
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

It's been a little over two years since I got this jacket. About time to take some pics and show how the jacket is doing so far.