WPG Shirt help

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

WPG Shirt help

Post by IndyJames98 »

I am thinking about buying a WPG shirt since I don't have an indy shirt yet have everything else. I have a 42 inch chest. If I buy a medium (says 46inch chest) how much would it shrink?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: WPG Shirt help

Post by knibs7 »

The hardly shrink at all, if any. I also have a 42" chest and WPG shirt in a Medium fits perfectly (except for the length, which you don't really see anyway)
IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJames98 »

Thanks!
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Depending on how tall you are IndyJames, a Med.Long may be the way to go once they are re-stocked.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Just picked up one myself. I am 5'10" and about 160-165 pounds. The medium fits my arm length just fine I think, but it's a tad longer than I would think. Washed it, dried it, and didn't shrink much at all. Still hangs down a tad past my crotch, and I am longer in torso than legs.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Mine didn't really shrink at all either ( thank goodness! ). I also ordered a tall so I would have some extra length for tucking in - very pleased with the shirt.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Any pics of these new ones?
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I'm with Texan, anybody have current pics ?? I bought my second shirt (after toting the heck out of WPG with my first shirt) about a year and a half to two years ago and it was too dark with wrong buttons. Curious... :TOH:
Last edited by micsteam on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

It should be understood that, unless custom made, all these manufacturers have batches that come from different sources depending on price and availability and product will vary from batch to batch. :TOH:
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Actually took my WPG shirt to the tailor and dropped it off today to get it more to my liking in fit. I ordered a small, and it was still huge on me. Hung down way past my crotch when untucked, and with a 39 chest on me, it easily has 4 inches or more that they are taking in.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

So, in general, would you guys say the WPG shirts are a generous cut (girth-wise in the chest/waist)?
I'm 5' 8", 32" waist, wear a 40 or 41 regular suit jacket. But I do like my shirts to have a little extra room in chest/shoulders, rather than being "slim-cut" as some modern dress shirts seem to be.

In the WPG, I'm wondering if I'd go for a medium? or a small? On modern shirts, I wear med or even large to get the room I prefer.

For comparison, if it helps, I first ordered a "close-enough" LL Bean cotton poplin field shirt in large -- and it was huge! A medium fit fine.

Thanks for any observations, tips, etc.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

I'm a 42 chest and medium is perfect!
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

I am 5'7", 175 lbs, 43 inch chest, with a 32 waist. I wear a 16 1/2" 32/33 dress shirt. This is me wearing a large What Price Glory shirt. It is a little baggy but I thought the medium may not fit my shoulders or neck. But I will probably rarely button the shirt all the way up so I could have gone with a medium. Still I like my shirt. It is a new shirt purchased around the first of the month 07/2015.

Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

ltfoley wrote:I'm a 42 chest and medium is perfect!
Thanks!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

NLogan wrote:I am 5'7", 175 lbs, 43 inch chest, with a 32 waist. I wear a 16 1/2" 32/33 dress shirt. This is me wearing a large What Price Glory shirt. It is a little baggy but I thought the medium may not fit my shoulders or neck. But I will probably rarely button the shirt all the way up so I could have gone with a medium. Still I like my shirt. It is a new shirt purchased around the first of the month 07/2015.

Then I'm thinking a medium is probably best for me. Thanks!
Nitz146
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Nitz146 »

NLogan wrote:I am 5'7", 175 lbs, 43 inch chest, with a 32 waist. I wear a 16 1/2" 32/33 dress shirt. This is me wearing a large What Price Glory shirt. It is a little baggy but I thought the medium may not fit my shoulders or neck. But I will probably rarely button the shirt all the way up so I could have gone with a medium. Still I like my shirt. It is a new shirt purchased around the first of the month 07/2015.

Awesome, thanks for that info. Shirt looks good. I didn't order it earlier because the sizing looked a little tricky. The only tricky part now is trying to convince my wife that a $50 Indiana Jones shirt is worth it.
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Nitz146 wrote: Awesome, thanks for that info. Shirt looks good. I didn't order it earlier because the sizing looked a little tricky. The only tricky part now is trying to convince my wife that a $50 Indiana Jones shirt is worth it.
Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Use that advice at your own risk. I am currently in the doghouse with my wife for my own Indy gear purchases. :twisted:
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Nitz146 wrote:

Awesome, thanks for that info. Shirt looks good. I didn't order it earlier because the sizing looked a little tricky. The only tricky part now is trying to convince my wife that a $50 Indiana Jones shirt is worth it.

Try convincing her that a $50 shirt is worth it, on top of the $125 Magnoli shirt, then taking the $50 shirt to the tailor and spending $42 more on it. :CR:

I have dropped a small fortune this year alone on gear. So much that when I think about it I get a tad sick...then I look at my cool gear!

Just waiting on my ToD jacket from S&J now, and everything I currently want will be complete. Next...maybe a ToD whip from Crease & Corrall.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Couple of nuts & bolts questions on WPG shirts for those who have them:

Is it machine wash/tumble dry? (presumably, a 100% cotton shirt would be, but not always)

If so, does it come out of the wash/dry cycle needing little to no ironing? Or does it tend to wrinkle?

Lastly, shrinkage: None? A little? A lot?

Thanks!
Nitz146
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Nitz146 »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Couple of nuts & bolts questions on WPG shirts for those who have them:

Is it machine wash/tumble dry? (presumably, a 100% cotton shirt would be, but not always)

If so, does it come out of the wash/dry cycle needing little to no ironing? Or does it tend to wrinkle?

Lastly, shrinkage: None? A little? A lot?

Thanks!
Its machine washable. It does tend to be wrinkly out of the dryer so you could iron it out if you prefer that. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs and I bought the medium, and after the first wash it didn't shrink very much at all and fits fine.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

All my shirts that fit me very well have:

25" sleeves

46" chests

44" waists

My problem is looking at the WPG yolks. All my shirts have 19 inch yolks.

The M has 21" yolk and the M-L has a 22" yolk.

The M also has a 23.5" sleeve, BUT the M-L has a 25" sleeve, like my normal shirts.

My question is, will the longer yolk make up for the shorter sleeve length, or will the 23.5" sleeves be an inch and a half too short on my arms? I can't stand short sleeves. But being only about 5'9" it seems weird that I would need to order a LONG just to have 25" sleeves... :(
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

One of the things that's been most complained about with the WPG shirts is they are cut very wide in the body. That probably accounts for the wider than usual yoke measurement.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Do you mean that as in they're actually wider than their size chart says they are? I was hoping to order one today.

And I still don't know if the longer yoke equals a longer sleeve.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

No, I don't think the shirts are wider than their measurements. What I mean is you wouldn't expect a medium sized shirt to have a yoke that wide.

No idea on the impact of sleeve length though I would think a wider body will in a way lengthen the sleeves if the shoulder seams are wider apart and therefore passed your natural shoulder.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff