Confused about pricing...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Busterjones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Confused about pricing...

Post by Busterjones »

Hello all, I'm new here and just starting gathering my Indy gear.

I've read enough to the get that Adventurbilt and Penman are regarded as really great hats.
I originally wanted a handmade Adventurbilt Raiders in rabbit fur which is priced at $300 with a couple months wait. So I emailed Steve and got a reply confirming that price and current wait time.

I also see there is a factory made Raiders on the Penman website for $325 and I'm wondering why it's more expensive than the handmade one. Is this the Henry? Am I not understanding all this correctly?

Basically I'm looking for the highest quality well made Raiders hat I can get and I don't know which one I should go with. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Confused about pricing...

Post by teneas »

The best cost you more. Go with beaver and Penman. Otherwise, Steele and Jones makes a great Rabbit felt one.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

teneas wrote:The best cost you more. Go with beaver and Penman. Otherwise, Steele and Jones makes a great Rabbit felt one.
Yep and don't go factory even though the Henry is a nice hat there's nothing like a custom fitted hat
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

First, I'm not sure whether Penman still actively markets the Henry. I believe he got so busy a year or two ago he discontinued selling them. I think if you want one you can still buy them through Adventurebilt in Germany.

Generally speaking beaver felt costs more than rabbit, and when you handle the two types you'll understand many of the reasons why beaver is worth the extra money. Not to say that there are not some incredible rabbit felts out there, but in addition to just being a rarer and more expensive to get commodity, beaver felt is much softer, finer and denser material that sheds water better and is more durable.

As you look around you will find that different makers price differently. For example Northwest sells excellent beaver felt hats for $250, while Penman, Adventurebilt and Garrison price theirs higher. All four are hats you'd be proud and happy to own, so it's largely a matter of personal preference. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

It was my understanding the Henry is not available today.

If I were going to buy a good, intro hat, I'd probably get one of these, 80/20 blend:
http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/Harr ... 11k7hc55v0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have two Henry's, a brown and gray, and they are both very well made hats. These are supposedly very comparable if not virtually the same to the Henry.

After that, something from Garrison:
http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hat ... 13_003.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both right at $200 plus shipping.
Busterjones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Busterjones »

Hmmmm ok, all helpful information. I noticed no one is mentioning the Adventurbilt option, is that not a good way to go these days?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Go with a Penman. You can get his Adventurebilt Legacy in either raiders of Young Indy style.
You can try reaching Steve but will have to buy the beaver version if you want one. I did in August of 2014 and received it one month later.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Busterjones wrote:Hmmmm ok, all helpful information. I noticed no one is mentioning the Adventurbilt option, is that not a good way to go these days?

Unfortunately I think most would be hesitate to order from Adventurebilt these days. There is a thread on this topic. There are some that still do, but it's mixed results I think. With the money you want to spend, why chance it in the slightest bit.

For comparison, I have a few hats..well more than a few.

Steel & Jones Temple/35: Rabbit, and a solid built hat. I wear it the most these days. Has a rather..rough feel for lack of better terms. Paid $250

Garrison *custom made 6 point bash*: VERY VERY soft and pliable. I mean very soft..did I say soft? Well made, but communication is sometimes...lacking. Paid $300

Fed IV: Factory made, cheapest out of what I own, but has been reliable and a companion on my camping trips for years now. Paid $125

Penman Beaver Temple: This is on it's way to me now from John. I bought it here in the Bazaar, and the brief time I had my hands on it were heaven. This sucker is very well built, butter soft, and felt like it could tug a truck and keep on ticking. I saw absolutely 0 flaws when handling it. John and I have talked many many times as well, and he is GREAT at communication. Paid: Got this basically for a steal. Normally $575 or so I believe.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Busterjones wrote:Hmmmm ok, all helpful information. I noticed no one is mentioning the Adventurbilt option, is that not a good way to go these days?
There is nothing wrong with ordering from Adventurebilt. I have 4 of Steves hats plus a Magnoli HJ blocked by Steve back when you could get them.

I also have 9 or 10 Penmans, a Garrison, a couple of Art Fawcett's hats, 7 or 8 Akubras and a number of others.

Although John Penman would say Steve Delk makes a better hat I would disagree. On any given day they are indistinguishable.

But . . . Steve is winding down, and John isn't. So if you have in your heart a desire for an AB hand made by Steve Delk your time may be getting short.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

And just an important note about prices with hats: higher is not always better. Especially with factory hats in the mix.
That said, I personally own hand made, beaver felt hats from both AB (Delk), and John Penman. John might blush and deny it, but I find them to be equals in quality and styling detail. There are other options, several of which I'm curious about, but with the current issues with AB (which I can't comment on from experience, and thus should not), I would pick Penman as the first high-quality Indy hat to owm, beaver or rabbit, as long as it is one of his hand-made ones.
This comes from a daily hat wearer, with a 12+ felt hat collection, including vintage, factory, and 4 custom brands. Four Indy's in my closet, and the Penman is my favorite.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with ordering from Adventurebilt. I have 4 of Steves hats plus a Magnoli HJ blocked by Steve back when you could get them.

I also have 9 or 10 Penmans, a Garrison, a couple of Art Fawcett's hats, 7 or 8 Akubras and a number of others.

Although John Penman would say Steve Delk makes a better hat I would disagree. On any given day they are indistinguishable.

But . . . Steve is winding down, and John isn't. So if you have in your heart a desire for an AB hand made by Steve Delk your time may be getting short.
That became my motivating factor. But really, you can't go wrong with either.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

High prices do not always mean the best hat, but with a reliable hatter -- they most certainly do! Penman and Delk make very good hats! Worth every penny! As stated though, there are some very high priced/expensive hats on the market, that are truly not of the quality of a custom made, well crafted, good quality fur felt hat! The choice is yours -- would you rather pay good money and get a truly fine quality hat that will live with you and last you over the coarse of many years, or pay fair-to-good dollars, for one that will not make the 'long haul? :-k ' W>
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Yeah there are one or two out there that will claim to have provided the hats for the films and charge an arm and a leg for disappointing work.

If you stick to what is recommended here, though, you'll be glad you did. :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Busterjones wrote:Hello all, I'm new here and just starting gathering my Indy gear.

I've read enough to the get that Adventurbilt and Penman are regarded as really great hats.
I originally wanted a handmade Adventurbilt Raiders in rabbit fur which is priced at $300 with a couple months wait. So I emailed Steve and got a reply confirming that price and current wait time.

I also see there is a factory made Raiders on the Penman website for $325 and I'm wondering why it's more expensive than the handmade one. Is this the Henry? Am I not understanding all this correctly?

Basically I'm looking for the highest quality well made Raiders hat I can get and I don't know which one I should go with. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know the last time you been to either site but the prices you have quoted here is wrong.

The Henry isn't being offered anymore. I have my rabbit at $375 and my beaver at $525. Both come with a Penman hat box and lapel pin neither includes shipping.

The Adventurebilt legacy light weight rabbit is $450 comes with AB map hat box, AB hat brush, AB lapel pin and letter from Steve. Doesn't include shipping.

John
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

Is there a difference in finishing that determines the price difference listed on the website, John, or is that old data that needs to be removed? I emailed you about it, but I dove back into the thread and found this post so I thought Id post it here, too. Someone else might know and be able to answer it.

thanks,

CAS

Products

Pure Beaver felt hats
Hand made pure beaver hat............................................................. $450.00-$525.00
edge treatment................................................................................ $75.00
Beaver felt hats are shipped with a Penman leather hat box and lapel pin.
Does not include shipping cost (see below for shipping prices)

Pure Rabbit felt hats
Hand made pure rabbit hat.............................................................. $300.00-$375.00
edge treat.........................................................................................$75
Rabbit felt hats are shipped in a Penman Bengaline hat box and lapel pin.
Does not include shipping cost (see below for shipping prices)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There is a range in price based on which hat you want. If you look in the different sections you will see why there is a price difference. For example "the Eno" in the men's section is a lower crown, smaller brim compared to say any Indy hat offering. The raw bodies are different sizes. I use stock bodies for the smaller crown and smaller brim hats. I use over size custom for the large crowns and brimmed hats.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Yeah, before I started buying custom hats, i had no idea hat bodies came in different sizes! I just figured smaller hats were cut down from bigger bodies.

I love seeing really targeted questions on the boards about stuff like this. I may have known the answer this time, but so many don't. I used to be one of them. And it's amazing how many people just won't ask. I really love the education you get by being curious in a hobby like this.

Sorry. Don't know where that came from. I'll shut up now.