WWI Officer's Webley .455 Holster

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

WWI Officer's Webley .455 Holster

Post by NLogan »

I couldn't be more pleased to own this genuine antique holster nearly a hundred years old and still very has sturdy craftsmanship. I am also very happy as it is my only genuine screen accurate gear piece to date for both Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade.

It is in a nice chocolate brown color. Time has distressed it for me.

Made by Martins of Birmingham LTD 1918

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WWI Officer's Webley .455 Holster

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Very nice, great find.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

This seems appropriate right now: "they don't make em like they used to". Look at that thing...nearly a hundred years old and still ready to do it's job. I bet it has another hundred left. Just awesome! I love leather goods! GREAT FIND!
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks Indiana Jeff and ChrisMD. I will second the notion that they just don't make 'em like they used to.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Get Picards leather treatment and rub that in, I've had many Webley holsters in the past (everything from the Boer Wars to WWII) and being as old as they are try and restore the suppleness to them. I've been doing this for a few years so if you have any questions please contact me and I'd be happy to help. :TOH:
NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

Thanks micsteam. Did the treatment ever alter the color? I love the current weathered and beaten up chocolate brown. Someone must have loved it before I got it. It feels very sturdy but the leather is still supple and flexible with no visible cracking or wear other than surface scratches and a green verdigris around the buckle that wiped right off.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

NLogan wrote:Thanks micsteam. Did the treatment ever alter the color? I love the current weathered and beaten up chocolate brown. Someone must have loved it before I got it. It feels very sturdy but the leather is still supple and flexible with no visible cracking or wear other than surface scratches and a green verdigris around the buckle that wiped right off.

What he is talking about it Pecards Leather care products. I use the gel on my jackets and other gear. It temporarily and slightly darkens but then it fades back to normal. For this specific holster and which specific product I will refer this to Michaelson as he has forgotten more about leather care than I'll ever know. I wouldn't want to tell you the wrong product. I've used the gel/creme on holsters but never one as old and neat as yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Back before I was on here and I'd heard of Picards, we used to use WD-40 (I'd learned this when I had to break in baseball mits back in the day). These old holsters, most of the time, had been sitting in a trunk or closet (or what have you) for decades and they dry rot if not dry out all together. On a holster such as yours, I wouldn't be afraid at all to use Picards (definitely better than wd-40) and should not discolor. Be warned though, if the holster feels rigid do not try to soften it up by bending or flexing until you've at least put some kind of conditioner on it as it will split the finish on the outside and possibly tear the leather. Hope this helps :TOH: