Rip David Morgan

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Rip David Morgan

Post by BendingOak »

I'm sorry to have to report but David Morgan has died.
whipwarrior

Re: Rip David Morgan

Post by whipwarrior »

:cry: Oh no... Very sad news, indeed. The Indy community and whip enthusiasts worldwide will always remember the man who single-handedly revived the whip industry due to his invaluable association with our beloved films. David was such a very kind and gracious man, always happy to correspond with fans, answering questions and giving advice to whip aficionados and makers alike. I conversed with him during the summer of 1997 while setting up my first whip order, and he told me about the bullwhips he had recently made for The Mask of Zorro, then in production. I'm pleased to say that I have treasured every whip that he made for me, even if I didn't hang onto all of them. I probably speak for all of us in saying that I will treasure my DM bullwhip more than ever now that The Master is gone. Every whipmaker today owes their legacy to David, and he will always be honored and respected for his enormous contribution to the art of whipmaking.

My fedora is off to you, Mr. Morgan. Rest in peace, Sir.

Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

Thats unfortunate news, I always thought it would be awesome to meet him. From the sounds of it he was a wonderful man who was very passionate about his craft and always was willing to help beginners get started.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Very sad news indeed. Rest in Peace sir...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

This is truly sad news. He was a good man and great craftsman.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

I am very saddened by this news. I first met David circa 2000. It was around this time that I had bought my first house and finally had a back yard so my interest in whip cracking came rushing back. I began searching the internet for bullwhip information and was amazed by all of the information I came across since I thought cracking whips was my weird thing only. It wasn't long before I found IndyFan which steered me toward the maker of the Indy whip, David Morgan. I remember very clearly sitting at work on my lunch break when I discovered that David Morgan's shop was literally two blocks from where I worked. I immediately left the building and headed there for a visit. David was remarkably kind, knowledgeable and sharing. In no time I was ordering my very own David Morgan Indy whip. I continued to visit him several times a month and he was always ready to share his stories and knowledge. Over the course of the next six years as I began on my own odyssey into whip making David was extremely helpful and always available for pointers. I have signed copies of his books that I treasure.

I work professionally as an illustrator and one day I asked David if it would be alright if I photographed him plaiting a whip as reference. He readily agreed and I created a pen & ink portrait of him which he signed for me. I gave him a couple pieces of art that I believe are still hanging in his shop.

In '06 I took a job several hours away and I move my family. I came up and visited him a couple times when I was in the area but I hadn't seen him several years. An old whip-cracking buddy of mine just informed me of David's passing. I'm filled with sorrow for the loss of my friend. I wish him well on his new journey.

Thank you, David. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kyle
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Sorry to hear this news as well. :( I'm honored to be able to own a small piece of the excellent craftsmanship that came out of his shop. RIP, Mr. Morgan and thank you for your work in helping to bring Dr. Jones's signature weapon to life on the big screen - not to mention revitalizing the entire whip industry and inspiring many, many new whipmakers and whipcrackers alike! Godspeed, sir.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

Incredibly saddened to have connected to the Internet this morning and the first words I read were in a message from Anthony DeLongis wishing Godspeed to Mr. Morgan. It seemed the most appropriate thing in the world to me to have first heard about it from him. *sigh*

- Dean Charles Stanforth: "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Rest in peace, David Morgan. :TOH: Thank you.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Sorry to loose one of the greats. I treasure my Morgan 10'.

Rest in peace.
The_Edge wrote:I work professionally as an illustrator and one day I asked David if it would be alright if I photographed him plaiting a whip as reference. He readily agreed and I created a pen & ink portrait of him which he signed for me. I gave him a couple pieces of art that I believe are still hanging in his shop.
Proud to say I still have mine. :notworthy:
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

So sorry to hear of David's passing. He created a legacy that will be remembered and continue to influence in the world of whip making and cinematic history for a long time. My condolences to Will and the rest if his family. QDEP.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Mike wrote:
The_Edge wrote:I work professionally as an illustrator and one day I asked David if it would be alright if I photographed him plaiting a whip as reference. He readily agreed and I created a pen & ink portrait of him which he signed for me. I gave him a couple pieces of art that I believe are still hanging in his shop.
Proud to say I still have mine. :notworthy:
Ditto here. I have print #13, signed by Kyle and Mr. Morgan, and an autographed 2nd edition of Whips and Whipmaking, in adddition to my prized 8-ft. DM #453 bullwhip. :whip:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have a copy Sergei gave me of the Whips and Whip Making, also signed DM.

Regards! M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... rgan+visit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. David Morgan was a wonderful gentleman - helpful and kind and also funny. I have very fond memories of our telephone conversations. Very sad news indeed. :(
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Here's a notice on the official DM site: http://www.davidmorgan.com/david_w_morgan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

R.I.P., Mr. Morgan.
giovanniceleste
Vendor

Post by giovanniceleste »

Personally I will always be grateful and debtor for his great contribution that he has given to the world of whips and whipmaking.
I owe much of what I am and what I do to him.
Probably if he had not developed the 450 series (Indiana Jones Whip) today would not be here to write.
The world has lost a a very Good Man but his legend will rise forever. Prayers and blessings to you and your family. Rest in peace Mr. David Morgan.
Giovanni Celeste
windycityindy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by windycityindy »

So sad to hear. I had the privilage of speaking to him on several occasions. Such a wonderful human being!
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I'm a bit late posting here, I had seen the new on the DM website.

He was such a special man -- my favorite memory was when he taught my then 10 or 11 year old daughter to crack a whip inside the front of his shop (we live locally).

I'll treasure my whip and of course memories of our visits with him. It was wonderful to see my elderly mother with him about 6 years ago talking about the Australian outback.