US Wings Imported Lambskin Lightweight Jacket:

US Wings Imported Steerhide Jacket:

WPG Goat Indy Style Jacket:

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: US Wings Imported and WPG Jackets

Post by Adventure Dog »

Thanks for posting up all the pictures! The WPG looks like a 1st or 2nd run Todd's (thinner leather, non scalloped pockets).

Will we get to see some photos of you IN the jackets?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Adventure Dog wrote:Thanks for posting up all the pictures! The WPG looks like a 1st or 2nd run Todd's (thinner leather, non scalloped pockets).

Will we get to see some photos of you IN the jackets?
Well - just myself and the wife and she tolerates my hobbies but if I ask her to snap some pics, I will get interrogated like when did you buy that and how much did it cost? :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Are those 1" straps on the WPG? It looks like they fixed the issue? The one I bought had 3/4" straps and pulled out quite a bit. They have the right idea with the thin, soft goat though. It breaks in fast.

Another question? Are the pockets on the WPG double walled with leather?

Actually, pattern wise, the first few runs of Todd's Std.'s were the most accurate in terms of details, the very thin lamb. Whether it was a factory change, or what, once he started sourcing the more accurate striated lamb, that is when you saw relaxed details, such as the thicker flaps and lower yokes.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Texan Scott wrote:Are those 1" straps on the WPG? It looks like they fixed the issue? The one I bought had 3/4" straps and pulled out quite a bit. They have the right idea with the thin, soft goat though. It breaks in fast.

Another question? Are the pockets on the WPG double walled with leather?

Actually, pattern wise, the first few runs of Todd's Std.'s were the most accurate in terms of details, the very thin lamb. Whether it was a factory change, or what, once he started sourcing the more accurate striated lamb, that is when you saw relaxed details, such as the thicker flaps and lower yokes.
The WPG straps are 1 inch. On the pockets, the top flap is doubled. The actual pocket is sewn on top of the outer jacket and is only leather on the outside. It appears that there is just a lining sewn against the back.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Hmmm... the WPG jacket's pockets and straps have been a problem for me. I don't own their jackets, but the pocket flaps look almost like they are at too much of a point. And the straps look a little long and thinner then the strap holding the buckle in place. Besides that and the fact that it looks a little tight across the chest on the site, I'd say its a good jacket. I like the U.S. Wings. and how they look. Very accurate to the one Indy wore, because they are the ones who made the jacket for ToD.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wested Jackets and US Wings Signature

Post by Glenville86 »

Rest of my jackets which are 2-Wested Goatskin and a US Wings Signature Cowhide.

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

My hobbies are collecting high end reproduction functional medieval swords with Albion Swords being most of my collection. Fedora style hats and of course leather jackets.

The USW cowhide jackets are the Indy style I wear during Winter. The imported is a slim cut and good until I need to layer. The Signature cowhide is cut large and I wear a fleece vest under it when really cold. Of course I rotate wearing some of my other heavy leather jackets during Winter.

The Wested jackets in goat I just received appear to be good for Fall and Spring wear. Could get used in colder weather with layering if you did not have a cow or horse jacket.

The WPG goat and USW light Lambskin could be used in higher temps in the evening depending where you lived.

Every 3-months, I donate clothing to a local charity who distributes items to folks in shelters. Some of my jackets and hats among other things go to charity. This allows my hangers to get new presents. ;) Some jackets are keepers for life but most move on. Almost all my leather jackets except for the Indy style are bought used on EBay. :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Members usually ascribe warmth or lack of, to these jackets depending on how thick the leather is, etc. Leather is a good wind block, but not very good as an insulator unless it has thinsulate, fleece, or other type lining, at the very least, polyfill, inside. Due to the open barrel cuffs and torso, no closure for the wind flap, vents, no insulation, the Indy scores high on asthetics, but low on the practical side. It doesn't look cool all zipped up anyway. It is first and foremost a prop, but who doesn't have a least one..? Well, 'ol retired eye patch Indy immulatin' Toyota drivin' Tundy, but he's down there in San Diego, anyway. #-o I mean who needs a leather jacket when tooling around in all the creature comforts of a Tundra? :P

Little did Peter know when he created this jacket, that it would catch such a following...? :-s
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

[quote="Tundrarider"]From your last post, it appears that my attempt at a joke was not a very good one. I didn't mean that you bought a load of jackets and never wore them. Nor was I giving you a hard time for having so many.[quote]

No worries at all. Sorry for reading into what you posted. :oops: I am actually self critical on myself for having too many jackets and hats. :lol: :lol:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Tundrarider wrote:In that case, I guess I can say....

"Got any pics with the jackets on?" ;)

Michael :TOH:
I honestly don't have anyone to take the pics. :(

Was thinking using a mirror but the German house I am renting does not have any except small bathroom ones...
Jay1138
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jay1138 »

I have a US Wings Cowhide jacket myself. Absolutely love it!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Jay1138 wrote:I have a US Wings Cowhide jacket myself. Absolutely love it!
What I like about the USW Cowhide is in my size, it is loose enough in the body to layer well and use in pretty cold weather.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

It seems to me that you might have good insight into the differences across manufacturers, so I have a question for you if you don't mind.

How does the WPG Raiders jacket fit in comparison to the US Wings and Wested Raiders jackets? I'm considering getting the WPG since the measurements (back, shoulder, and sleeve specifically) seem like they would fit me better than the Todd's jacket, but I'm concerned with the chest measurement. I typically wear a 42 sport-coat and was hoping to go with their Large size, but want to be sure it won't be tight while still long enough (Todd's L isn't anywhere near long enough for me and the XL is too wide.. I've tried both). I originally wanted a Wested, but without actually trying them on, I'd rather not order overseas and get it wrong...

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I measured my jacket. I normally wear 46-48 sport coat or outerwear coat. My actual chest measurement is a 44. I have wide shoulders and big arms......

My XXL WPG measures out true to their sizing chart.

I like the fit as I don't like form fitting (snug) jackets. I have Indy jackets that range from 46 Tall up to 50. G&B, Wested, USW and WPG.

The G&B in 46 Tall fits and is not snug but maybe a little more form fitting than I like. I think a more relaxed fit in a G&B 48 Tall would be more to my liking. The US Wings in 2xl (US made) are more of a loose cut in fit. The import USW is a slimmer fit. Wested in 48 are good fits and not as loose cut as the USW US made. Wested in 50 is similar to the US Wings in fit. The WPG fits me like a 2xl in USW US made but hangs very well on my body. Very comfortable.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Glenville86 wrote:I measured my jacket. I normally wear 46-48 sport coat or outerwear coat. My actual chest measurement is a 44. I have wide shoulders and big arms......

My XXL WPG measures out true to their sizing chart.

I like the fit as I don't like form fitting (snug) jackets. I have Indy jackets that range from 46 Tall up to 50. G&B, Wested, USW and WPG.

The G&B in 46 Tall fits and is not snug but maybe a little more form fitting than I like. I think a more relaxed fit in a G&B 48 Tall would be more to my liking. The US Wings in 2xl (US made) are more of a loose cut in fit. The import USW is a slimmer fit. Wested in 48 are good fits and not as loose cut as the USW US made. Wested in 50 is similar to the US Wings in fit. The WPG fits me like a 2xl in USW US made but hangs very well on my body. Very comfortable.
Hmm, just reading that makes me wondering if an XL would be better for me. Their sizing recommendations are XL for 46"-48", and I'm typically in the 42"-44" range (depending on manufacturer) in standard US sizing. I had an XL Todd's and found it to be too wide, but if the WPG turns out to be slimmer than Todd's, I'm thinking if I go a size larger it'll fit better...
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

For me, I am not caught up in the SA that much. I like the jackets as an alternative to A-2 jackets with the knit cuffs and waist. I have an A-2 but don't like the fit that much. Also, the knits get picked by my watch. I also like half belt jackets.

I like a jacket with a slightly loose fit. My G&B in a 46 Tall fits very well (sleeves could be longer) and wearing just a long sleeve shirt under it is fine. It is more of a mild weather jacket as you cannot layer under it. I like to wear it open but looks fine zipped. The USW jackets and WPG in 2xl are looser fitting which I like better.

I just like my jackets to feel comfortable and look at an Indy style jacket just like any other jacket in regards to the fit I like and not a movie fit. The movie jackets were made to custom fit Harrison Ford for a specific look they wanted to achieve.

I read on a upper scale site that when measuring for a jacket to measure your chest and then measure around the outside of your body around the upper arms. If the outside measurement is around 10 inches or more than your chest measurement, go up a size on the jacket. Mine is more than 10 inches which is why I have to buy jackets larger in size than my actual chest measurements.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Wow, I had no idea that WPG made an Indy jacket...is this a recent development? Not bad...

EDIT: Just saw Texan Scott's review...looks like these have been out for a while...just new to me! ;)
tex1272
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tex1272 »

I am thinking of getting the WPG but I am curious about how the fit of it compares to a Todd's? I have a Todds in XL thats fits just about right.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

tex1272 wrote:I am thinking of getting the WPG but I am curious about how the fit of it compares to a Todd's? I have a Todds in XL thats fits just about right.
That was my question and its not an easy one to answer. I ended up picking uo a Wested 2nd had for what I would have spent on the WPG, though its still in the back of my mind.
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

First post!
Ok, now that that's out of the way...
I love this thread--thank you, Glenville86!
I ended up down the rabbit hole of Indy jackets and I was considering a Todd's until I discovered the WPG comes in goat, which should make it more durable. And then I realized that in the Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread, Glenville86, you say you recently got one of Todd's new jackets. If you have any time at all, I'd love to hear how they compare! They seem to be the best two budget choices.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

McQ7 wrote:First post!
I ended up down the rabbit hole of Indy jackets and I was considering a Todd's until I discovered the WPG comes in goat, which should make it more durable. And then I realized that in the Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread, Glenville86, you say you recently got one of Todd's new jackets. If you have any time at all, I'd love to hear how they compare! They seem to be the best two budget choices.
The goat on the WPG is a thinner leather than other goat jackets I own. I actually like that myself. The Todd's jacket surprised me in fit and quality. I actually like it better than an expensive Indy jacket purchased from Greece. :Plymouth: Both the WPG and Todd's fit well and were XXL purchases. If ordering a WPG, I would make sure they send one with the 1-inch straps. I bought another one and it had the more narrow straps - they must sell both.
Last edited by Glenville86 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Glenville86 wrote:
The goat on the WPG is a thinner leather than other goat jackets I own. I actually like that myself. The Todd's jacket surprised me in fit and quality. I actually like it better than an expensive Indy jacket purchased from Italy. :Plymouth: Both the WPG and Todd's fit well and were XXL purchases. If ordering a WPG, I would make sure they send one with the 1-inch straps. I bought another one and it had the more narrow straps - they must sell both.
Not sure about the one purchased from Italy but the one from Greece is worth every penny! :D
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Meant to say Greece vice Italy. Edited my post. :TOH:

One jacket is a better quality jacket and worth the price but both look very similar at least on the versions I have. No question on which is the better jacket. ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Todd's is exceptional and if he ever made the sleeves longer I'd own a couple. I totally agree that if you find a good fit with his standard jacket you've hit the jackpot. Totally captures the vibe as can be seen in Raiders, the Adaptation filming of the flying wing scene.
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

Glenville86 wrote:Meant to say Greece vice Italy. Edited my post. :TOH:

One jacket is a better quality jacket and worth the price but both look very similar at least on the versions I have. No question on which is the better jacket. ;)
Thanks for all the info! Good to know about Todd's recent version. As far as durability, I just want to make sure if I'm hiking through the woods it's not going to tear if it gets caught on a branch or something. So I've been wary of thin lamb and that's what got me looking at the WPG in goat.
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

Glenville86 wrote:
The goat on the WPG is a thinner leather than other goat jackets I own. I actually like that myself. The Todd's jacket surprised me in fit and quality. I actually like it better than an expensive Indy jacket purchased from Greece. :Plymouth: Both the WPG and Todd's fit well and were XXL purchases. If ordering a WPG, I would make sure they send one with the 1-inch straps. I bought another one and it had the more narrow straps - they must sell both.
For anyone wondering, I asked and WPG confirmed that they can make sure to send a jacket with 1 inch straps if one specifies when placing the order.