New 1930s Lost Worlds Ryder

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Hey guys, check out my new LW Ryder half belt! :D I just got this on Tuesday! It weighs about five pounds and could probably protect you pretty well while being dragged under a truck!
Last edited by Carolina Tom on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: New 1930s Lost Worlds Ryder

Post by WConly »

Carolina Tom wrote:Hey guys, check out my new LW Ryder half belt! :D I just got this on Tuesday! It weighs about five pounds and could probably protect you pretty well while being dragged under a truck!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxqugtcg47ahd ... .jpeg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yepper...Lost World makes very solid jackets! Just short of stopping bullets! Good find and buy, here! It will, more then likely, out live you :TOH: ! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

5 pounds!!?? :shock: That wore me out just READING about it! ;)

Otherwise, VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Nice lookin jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Thanks guys!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:5 pounds!!?? :shock: That wore me out just READING about it! ;)

Otherwise, VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson
Exactly why I said 'it' would probably out live him :rolling: ! They are fantastic jackets and built 'truly' like tanks ;) ! W>
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

These jackets truly are works of art. If you are not familiar with them, check them out at lostworldsinc.com
Every stitch and component is absolutely perfect, with nothing mismatched or out of place. I also have one of their A-2s from many years ago. Stuart is a delight to deal with and very helpful on options and sizing.
My half belt is a 1930s design, so it fits right into the Indy time period. Sears sold a similar jacket in their Hercules (premium workwear) line during the 1930s-1940's. Lost Worlds offers a 3 oz. and a 3.5-4 oz. horsehide in this jacket. I opted for the heavier weight, but honestly, you don't feel it when you put it on. It is not uncomfortable to wear whatsoever. I do have some some breaking in to do, but this will happen over time. On the standard jacket, you get to specify what color and weight hide you want and that's it for the options if you want to be able to return it. I wanted that option just in case it didn't fit, but I am very happy with it. I am 5'8" with exactly a 40" chest measurement. The jacket is a size 40 and I think it fits perfect with room for a mid weight shirt or light sweater underneath. I am wearing a T shirt in the photo, and it works with that too. If Indy ever replaces his jacket, I think this is the design they should go with, due to its historical accuracy, but maybe in goatskin, so it's easier to move in. Thanks for the positive comments guys! Tom
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Nice jacket. Only issue I have with these repros and those by Aero is that real horse hide or steer jackets from the period used thinner hides, generally 2.5oz and sometimes up to 3oz. The German jackets of the time were amongst the thickest - they often had hide that was over 3oz.
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Lost worlds offers this jacket in three ounce horsehide, but I like the look (especially the creasing you get on the sleeves) and protection of the thicker hide, even if it's not 100% historically accurate. Mine is 3.5 oz., so it is not far off the mark. Thanks for your observation. Tom
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Fair enough. The thick stuff is very popular - especially on the Fedora Lounge. I dislike the thicker hides myself, I find them uncomfortable. Thirty years of collecting has taught me that. But everyone's different. I think I prefer goat hide in 2.5oz best. Almost indestructible, highly abrasion resistant at a fairly light weight.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

CM wrote:Fair enough. The thick stuff is very popular - especially on the Fedora Lounge. I dislike the thicker hides myself, I find them uncomfortable. Thirty years of collecting has taught me that. But everyone's different. I think I prefer goat hide in 2.5oz best. Almost indestructible, highly abrasion resistant at a fairly light weight.
+1

I have a leather Peacoat from Lost Words in goatskin, best goatskin I ever owned, as thick as their lightest HH but really butter soft and like CM said Almost indestructible, highly abrasion resistant at a fairly light weight.

I can't stand the FQHH from Aero, too stiff and too heavy, but now they have a mid weight HH called Vicenza. This HH is more wearable and quite amazing.

You can see some photos of my Aero Sheene in Vicenza here : http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;