Make it Jones NEW Style Holster! ARRIVED! New pics!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I ordered one of those great looking semi-auto Indy holsters from our friend MIJ. I asked him to make one for a 1911A1 in the classic Raiders style. I opted for the heavier leather he offers as this will be for real world use and not costuming.

We are also working on a set of 1911 double mag pouches with a Raiders feel to them. If you remember my thread on "real world gear" these will be replacing my other mag pouches which I can't seem to find! What can I say, I'm not the most organized.

It will be ready to ship Thursday, and I have some teaser photos. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

I hope David will stop by and help explain a little of the process as it fascinates me. Here are some "making of" photos.

http://www.makeitjones.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here it is! Finished photos. It ships tomorrow. Even has my initials stamped on the back!

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Make it Jones NEW Style Holster! UPDATED

Post by Trebor »

Nice. Got a link to his webpage?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Trebor wrote:Nice. Got a link to his webpage?
Sure do!

http://www.makeitjones.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ill toss one in the OP as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

This is really cool !! What a lot of Indy fans along with other franchises that delve into period stuff circa 1800's to mid 20th century and even still now, is that when you embarked on an expedition, safari, etc. you would either use an outfitter whom would put together travel and arrangements (including firearms) or you would directly contact those manufacturers ( like you have here ChrisMD) and have custom holsters made for your select firearms. I've had, in the past, real WWII .45 auto holsters but really appreciate what you, ChrisMD, are doing here with MIJ because I really like the non-pocket tip style holsters. The Colt .45 automatic is an Indyesque firearm and deserves a real adventurer's type holster and it looks here like MIJ is making an exceptional holster for you. I know whom I'm using for my next holster !!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

This is really cool !! What a lot of Indy fans along with other franchises that delve into period stuff circa 1800's to mid 20th century and even still now, don't know is that when you embarked on an expedition, safari, etc. you would either use an outfitter whom would put together travel and arrangements (including firearms) or you would directly contact those manufacturers ( like you have here ChrisMD) and have custom holsters made for your select firearms. I've had, in the past, real WWII .45 auto holsters but really appreciate what you, ChrisMD, are doing here with MIJ because I really like the non-pocket tip style holsters. The Colt .45 automatic is an Indyesque firearm and deserves a real adventurer's type holster and it looks here like MIJ is making an exceptional holster for you. I know whom I'm using for my next holster !!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

My holster arrived and once again David outdid himself. It fits PERFECTLY and snugly. My 1911 amd Hi Power will be securely held, regardless of what I get myself into. Thanks again MIJ!!! Beautiful holster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Make it Jones NEW Style Holster! ARRIVED! New pics!

Post by Michaelson »

Wow! You'd never know that was designed to fit a semi-auto!

WELL done! :clap:

Regard! Michaelson :M:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a BB gun. You couldn't even break the skin with that thing.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:That's a BB gun. You couldn't even break the skin with that thing.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
"What are you kiddin'? This is a Magnum PI!"

Im a little bummed. I was gonna Pecard it and wear it around a bit but I accidentally cut the tip of my finger off last night so the Pecard's will have to wait a few days. But I still love this holster!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Pecards MIGHT fix that.......or maybe not. :-k ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

ChrisMD wrote:
:rolling: :clap:

We used to use that line on a buddy that joined the Illinois State Troopers. I swear we were one comment away from finding out his gun could break the skin.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Pecards MIGHT fix that.......or maybe not. :-k ;)

It was a VERY interesting night to say the least. :) As the doc was cleaning me up I said "hey Doc since this is my middle finger, would this be considered an overuse injury?" Thought he was gonna wet himself
Indiana Jeff wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

:rolling: :clap:

We used to use that line on a buddy that joined the Illinois State Troopers. I swear we were one comment away from finding out his gun could break the skin.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Classic! I need to watch that again real soon. Got some time on my hands now, even with a little less finger.

This holster is seriously awesome. I went for the heavier weight leather too and it feels like it could withstand anything. I also love the color. Has that classic look to it!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

After some bending, twisting, and smooshing, I added a coat of Pecards. I think it looks very broken in. Feels that way too. I just keep staring at this thing. Ill get a pic in natural light later.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Instagram edit

makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Always good to see some of my work out in the real world - liking the shot in the mountains with the holster Chris.

Good point micsteam makes - explorers and officers had to supply their own gear and a visit to their Gentlemen's Outfitters for equipment, made to measure clothing and bespoke leather items created for their tools and weapons would be on the cards. Nice to think I'm continuing that tradition in my own small way.

I'm completely self-taught (started making my own gear and worked up from there) but for anyone wanting to try their hand at making holsters a copy of 'How to make holsters' by Al Stohlman is a good investment. Picked a copy up recently and it's an interesting period piece from the 50's - still in print though and widely available. It's a good primer for the techniques you'll need to learn - wish I'd had a copy 10 years ago. Has templates for assorted designs in there and also explains how to make you own designs from scratch.

Like developing most skills what you need is 1) the right tools, 2) good quality materials and 3) practice, practice, practice.

First few attempts are a learning curve so when something doesn't work out right, learn from it and make the next one better. Really satisfying taking something from raw material to finished item that you can use. Same with making your own whips - a lot of effort but worth it.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

ChrisMD wrote:Instagram edit

Awesome 1911 Chris and the perfect holster for it! :clap:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

makeitjones wrote:Always good to see some of my work out in the real world - liking the shot in the mountains with the holster Chris.

Good point micsteam makes - explorers and officers had to supply their own gear and a visit to their Gentlemen's Outfitters for equipment, made to measure clothing and bespoke leather items created for their tools and weapons would be on the cards. Nice to think I'm continuing that tradition in my own small way.

I'm completely self-taught (started making my own gear and worked up from there) but for anyone wanting to try their hand at making holsters a copy of 'How to make holsters' by Al Stohlman is a good investment. Picked a copy up recently and it's an interesting period piece from the 50's - still in print though and widely available. It's a good primer for the techniques you'll need to learn - wish I'd had a copy 10 years ago. Has templates for assorted designs in there and also explains how to make you own designs from scratch.

Like developing most skills what you need is 1) the right tools, 2) good quality materials and 3) practice, practice, practice.

First few attempts are a learning curve so when something doesn't work out right, learn from it and make the next one better. Really satisfying taking something from raw material to finished item that you can use. Same with making your own whips - a lot of effort but worth it.
Your products are top notch, David. I always got nice comments about my bag strap, belt and whip holder. Thanks again! :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Thanks MIJ! I'll be taking the holster back into the mountains today!
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Here's my most recent 1911 flapped holster in a pre-aged and distressed finish (currently in transit to its new owner) - came out looking pretty good.

And on the other end of the scale here's a couple of my new flapped Indy style auto holsters designs - Colt 1908 Vest Pocket and Baby Browning.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Beautiful work!! :clap:

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M: :tup:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Awesome!!!!!
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

And here's the matching mag holders:

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

Some questions for you, Make it Jones:

Can you make this for a CZ 75 or do you not have the right molds?

What about a "flapless" version I could use to shoot my S&E HE 2 in a IDPA (pistol) match? The idea would be if someone cut the flap off an old holster to turn it into an open topped holster. The trigger guard would need to be covered though.
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

The CZ 75 is very close in size and shape to the Browning Hi Power so only some small adjustments needed to the HP holster template.

A quick draw open top holster for the HE 2 is no problem - I'll PM you a picture of something to work from.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

After almost a year of wear and tear. Did some turkey hunting yesterday and tossed the 1911 into this holster. By far my favorite 1911 holster. Thanks again MIJ!