My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Re: My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

I swear Chris, your hat is proof that the more you wear the hat, the better looking it gets. I see all the "Raiders traits" in your "sideways" post ;) . Makes me proud.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:I swear Chris, your hat is proof that the more you wear the hat, the better looking it gets. I see all the "Raiders traits" in your "sideways" post ;) . Makes me proud.

Thanks! GREAT to see you back here David! I still love the hat. It is the pride of my collection and a constant companion on my travels into the high country!

And sorry everyone sometimes the iphone or ipad posts things sideways but shows up normal on tapatalk. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My Ford felt AB is with Dave getting tweaked after my soaking at Universal Studios Park in February. I'm looking forward to seeing my old friend come back ready for another full year of 'road work'.

Regard! Michaelson :M:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:My Ford felt AB is with Dave getting tweaked after my soaking at Universal Studios Park in February. I'm looking forward to seeing my old friend come back ready for another full year of 'road work'.

Can't wait to see the aftermath! I am really in love with mine. I want more and more but this one is kinda sentimental and I want to keep wearing the heck out of it. I've gone back and looked at pics of it when I first got it and David is really right in that the more you wear them the better they look. You guys even told me that, after my mention of babying it. Boy am I glad I took the "wear it/use it" advice.

All these hats I see coming back given new life make me ponder about some old hats I have. I have a Bailey Tombstone cowboy hat that had lost its shape, and been kinda poorly reshaped. I almost want to see if David could shape it like the hat Robert DuVall wears in Lonesome Dove. But this is just me daydreaming again.. ](*,)

:TOH:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

I'm thinking about getting a Garrison Standard Raiders. Is this the best hat to get in the $200 price range?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

giantthugee86 wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Garrison Standard Raiders. Is this the best hat to get in the $200 price range?

It gets my vote. You get a completely custom hat that will last you a LONG time for a KILLER price. David is fantastic to work with, and really does deliver a fine product with a really good turn around. Mine has only gotten better looking.

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

ChrisMD wrote:
giantthugee86 wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Garrison Standard Raiders. Is this the best hat to get in the $200 price range?

It gets my vote. You get a completely custom hat that will last you a LONG time for a KILLER price. David is fantastic to work with, and really does deliver a fine product with a really good turn around. Mine has only gotten better looking.

How long does it take?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

giantthugee86 wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

How long does it take?

Currently I'm not sure. David is locallandsurveyor on here. (Doubt I spelled that correctly). I would shoot him a PM or check his website for email. I believe I ordered in January and got it in March. Mine is now 2 years old. Lots of pics of it in this thread.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Did some exploring today with the lady up in the mountains. Pics taken in overcast weather right before a storm. Sun came out as we were on our way down so sorry for no sunlight pics! First pic the shot timer caught me moving haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Really beautiful fedora and outdoors landscapes !
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

indymassilia wrote:Really beautiful fedora and outdoors landscapes !
Thanks! Hope to get some more shots this weekend.

TheJonesBoys
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TheJonesBoys »

Greetings All,

Well, the wait is finally over.

I went home on my lunch break today and was presently surprised to find my Garrison Raiders fedora waiting for me. I made my order back towards the end of January and I've been patiently waiting all this time. Perhaps patiently is a bit of a stretch, and I was constantly resisting the urge to bug David for any updates. David was incredibly helpful and always responded to any emails I sent about the hat. Overall, I am very pleased with this fedora. The quality is wonderful. This is my first custom order fedora and I chose to go with a Garrison based on the posts and input of this board.

There is definitely something special about having an item made custom just for you. I think that's part of the charm and allure of being an Indy gear fan. The most iconic parts of the wardrobe are not off the shelf items. You have to go out of your way to discover their details and origins and that's what makes discovering these treasures so worthwhile.

I've taken some quick photos on my lunch break. (My apologies for the cell phone selfies, but it's all I could manage in a pinch.)

And last but not least, one of my big ol' melon in the hat itself.

I gotta say I am quite pleased with this hat. It looks great, feels great and fits just right. Very happy guy here.

It's nice to see that in a time when cheap to manufacture and mass produced merchandise are the norm, there are still craftsman and artisans out there who are willing to keep these time honored traditions alive.

Now, I just need to go take it on some adventures...

Regards,

Trevor
Thejonesboys
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Great writeup Trevor and congrats on the hat! I remember that day well. I wear mine regularly in all kinds of places. It really has taken on great character and I bet yours will too! Enjoy it!

Chris
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

At my oldest son's graduation a week or so ago. That's my Garrison on top of me head in the back. :D

Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Michaelson wrote:My Ford felt AB is with Dave getting tweaked after my soaking at Universal Studios Park in February. I'm looking forward to seeing my old friend come back ready for another full year of 'road work'.

Just saw this, better late than never I guess, do you have pics? I'd like to see how it compares to my Ford AB.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I do, actually, but will have to dig them off my daughter FB page in order to show them.

I'm wearing it in my avatar on the left. If you put your nose against your monitor, you can JUST make it out. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

ChrisMD wrote:Did some exploring today with the lady up in the mountains. Pics taken in overcast weather right before a storm. Sun came out as we were on our way down so sorry for no sunlight pics! First pic the shot timer caught me moving haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What might that be adorning your right hip? A SIG? I can't quite make it out.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Good eye! That is my trusty Mk25 Sig in a department issued Safariland snap holster.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Sweet piece!
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

Courtesy of a foumite I just got a Garrison and im wearing it now! It is a really nice lid. I chopped some wood today while wearing it in, and now we're just chillin.

NLogan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NLogan »

My new hat came today! Thanks Cajunkraut! :TOH:
My Garrison is a finely made hat! Thanks David!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

NLogan wrote:My new hat came today! Thanks Cajunkraut! :TOH:
My Garrison is a finely made hat! Thanks David!
My pleasure, Logan. Glad it went to a good home.

Below are the pic and note David emailed after he sent the fedora.

Nice talking with you today. This pic is my example of training the brim. Hold the front of the brim and start at the back of the brim as shown. Move your hand forward while pushing the brim straight up against the crown. This trains the brim to be like the Raven Bar scene when Indy says "Trust me."
Hope this helps. Let me know.
Take care,
David

sheldoneppsiii
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sheldoneppsiii »

Hey there gang - First Post!
Bitten by the Indy bug since 1981, I've finally received my favorite fedora!! Just got my Garrison "Streets of Cairo" hat today, and boy is it great! fits like a glove and soft as can be. Really nails the look in my eyes. Many thanks to you, David, and kudos to you excellent craftsmanship!!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

:D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Welcome Sheldon! The lid looks great. Congrats. Wear it in good health.

Dave
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Welcome!

Showing off a new Garrison is an excellent means of introduction. Good choice in hats. Suits you well.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
sheldoneppsiii
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sheldoneppsiii »

Thanks fellas! One o'these days I'll post some full gear pics in the appropriate section...
Cheers!!
shawn ;)
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

I love looking through this post!!!

It warms the heart. Looking good. :clap:

You might want to look into the Vendor section. I just posted some interesting news I am very excited about.. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:I love looking through this post!!!

It warms the heart. Looking good. :clap:

You might want to look into the Vendor section. I just posted some interesting news I am very excited about.. :TOH:

GREAT to see you around again David!!!!!
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

I guess I just had my first "gear" dream: I dreamt I got my Garrison in the mail! I guess I'd been reading a little bit too much of this forum right before bed.

Monday will mark 8 weeks since I ordered. If it takes the whole 10 weeks, I should get it right before my birthday at the end of May.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I should receive a new (to me) Garrison hat either tomorrow or the day after. I'm really quite nervous - it'll be my first proper Indy hat in a few years. The only hat I presently own is a very beat up Christys which I never wear.
The hat was my main reason for getting into Indygear and I had a whole bunch of them in my quest for the ultimate Raiders hat - came very close with a vintage HJ - now that I haven't really worn one for 2 years I wonder what I will think when it arrives!?!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice hat and welcome. :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

"whiskyman": I should receive a new (to me) Garrison hat either tomorrow or the day after. I'm really quite nervous - it'll be my first proper Indy hat in a few years. The only hat I presently own is a very beat up Christys which I never wear.
The hat was my main reason for getting into Indygear and I had a whole bunch of them in my quest for the ultimate Raiders hat - came very close with a vintage HJ - now that I haven't really worn one for 2 years I wonder what I will think when it arrives!?!
I do! You will say: "Wow -- should have done this sooner!" Well, maybe you won't say this, but -- close :TOH: ! W>
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

I'm a newbie around here. After reading lots of threads and faqs on Indy hats I think I have decided to order a Garrison Raiders Style in his new color. From what I have seen and read David's are excellent and the price is unbeatable for a custom fedora. I'm going with rabbit felt as I am on a bit of a budget. I'm thinking I'll let him bash it however he feels best. I decided on Raiders Style because it the original, iconic and most dramatic Indy fedora of them all. This will be my first screen accurate hat.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think you chose.....wisely. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

whiskyman wrote:I should receive a new (to me) Garrison hat either tomorrow or the day after. I'm really quite nervous - it'll be my first proper Indy hat in a few years. The only hat I presently own is a very beat up Christys which I never wear.
I just sold my first fedora (Fed III regular from 8 years ago) to help pay for the Garrison. Please post up some photos of your "new to you" Garrison when you get it! I hope you will be pleased.

Whiskyman, from my time on this forum (about 8 years), I would have thought you got involved because of jackets and whips! :lol:
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
The biggest thought in my mind is whether you want the hat to be turned or not (which the Raiders hat is).
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

The biggest thought in my mind is whether you want the hat to be turned or not (which the Raiders hat is).
Thanks for asking about that. That is one thing I still am not clear on. What is meant by "turning" the hat.

:?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Echo what Michaelson said, you have chosen wisely. David does excellent work. I have two non-Indy hats he made from scratch and two Indy-esque hats he reblocked from existing hats.

A great explanation of the 'turn' can be found here. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

OK, turn, got it. I beleive the Raiders Style has a mild turn, the Streets of Cairo more extreme. I'm basing this on pictures on David's web site. So I think I'd be fine with that. Do others have a strong opinion otherwise? What do most order from Garrison? Do people like doing there own turn to the hat? Sorry, trying to understand it all. Thanks.

Also, just got an email from David saying I can pick the scene in the movie to match my hat!

So I'll pick a scene with the turn I like :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just to answer your question, I do not do 'the turn'. =; Not a fan, and never have been, but that's just me. ;)

Regard! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I would say most members get the turn as it is considered necessary for the full ROLA look, but the brim distortion is more noticeable in some scenes than others. As Michaelson mentioned, not everyone likes/gets the turn. Depends on your head shape too. If your head is more round than oval (from bird's eye view), turning the hat won't cause as much distortion to the brim.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and if you put a long oval head into a rounder shaped hat, the brim distorts naturally without the turn.

Regards! M
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

whiskyman wrote:I should receive a new (to me) Garrison hat either tomorrow or the day after.
Any updates Whiskyman? We'd love to see your "new to you" hat!

I just heard from David that my hat will be ready in 10 days. Just in time for me olde birthday!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

MY hat is being held in customs - since April 27th - no idea why and I can't seem to get through to anybody to find out more or get things moving.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

whiskyman wrote:MY hat is being held in customs - since April 27th - no idea why and I can't seem to get through to anybody to find out more or get things moving.
Wow! Very strange one here, however I do recall that many years back (I think around 2002), I had a Black Wested 'Raider' jkt. that was held up for five weeks here in the states. I sent emails everywhere -- even to Peter, at Wested and his response was: (paraphrase here): "Probably some hold up due to the effects of '911'.) And, this made sense -- and, eventually the jacket arrived, etc. However, regarding your hat -- no clue, unless some 'custom's guy' decided it fit and decided to keep it :shock: ! Just kidding. I'm sure it will arrive soon and all will be well! Enjoy your hat, when it does come home! W>
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have a TOD in rabbit on order.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

My hat just shipped. \:D/
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Adventure Dog wrote:My hat just shipped. \:D/
Congrats! Please post pics when it arrives.

I have one on order too, about a month out.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Mine seems to have been lost :(
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

That's not good.
Maybe it's just being held extra long in customs?
Take a ride down there and see if anyone's sporting a new hat.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

whiskyman wrote:Mine seems to have been lost :(

I'm going to do some investigating from my end. :TOH:
I'm sorry this has happened. :(