Share your Indy Guns!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Share your Indy Guns!

Post by micsteam »

J_Weaver, I have one to it went to a LT. J. Spicer 5th Cheshires at the front in 1915. Yeah, I suggest you leave it alone and get a beat up S&W 1917 and have that cut down or better yet a Brazilian contract from the 20's-30's. MHO. Enjoy !! :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

micsteam wrote:J_Weaver, I have one to it went to a LT. J. Spicer 5th Cheshires at the front in 1915. Yeah, I suggest you leave it alone and get a beat up S&W 1917 and have that cut down or better yet a Brazilian contract from the 20's-30's. MHO. Enjoy !! :TOH:
Or a brand new one with absolutely zero historical significance. But I would also chop a Brazilian contract.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
micsteam wrote:J_Weaver, I have one to it went to a LT. J. Spicer 5th Cheshires at the front in 1915. Yeah, I suggest you leave it alone and get a beat up S&W 1917 and have that cut down or better yet a Brazilian contract from the 20's-30's. MHO. Enjoy !! :TOH:
Or a brand new one with absolutely zero historical significance. But I would also chop a Brazilian contract.
Agreed. Or one that's in such poor shape that any historical or investment value is significantly lost.

Mine was in salty shape along with a previously modified barrel. All I added were SA grips and an included butt swivel.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

The 1911A1 as featured in CS with my Garrison Raiders and custom holster both freshly returned from camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice pic, Chris!

I know we've discussed this before, but I would've loved to see Indy with a 1911 in his repertoire.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Nice pic, Chris!

I know we've discussed this before, but I would've loved to see Indy with a 1911 in his repertoire.

Couldnt agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

I debated posting this one or not, since it's an AK but not like any in KOTCS. This one I call 'Vasily'; it's a Serbian M92 PAP pistol, made by Zastava and imported by Century Arms. With the SB47 arm brace it measures a whopping 29.5 inches and makes an excellent truck gun. The M92 and the 5.56 AR15-magazine-accepting M85 are all around great guns that can be had for less than $500.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Now THAT is sexy, 289!

All of the CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor without any of the red tape. ;)

Can't tell if it's authentic or a repro, but I love the look of that bakelite mag too.

:clap: :clap: :clap: =P~ =P~ =P~
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I was lucky enough to score a couple of surplus bakelites last year. A little pricey but I love the look.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 I think this AK is fine to post. It is a variant of what is in the movie. Heck my Hi Power isn't an Inglis or Browning, it is an Israeli Kareen. Plus the movie seemed to not be super accurate anyway. If memory serves me they were using Type 56 AKs...Chinese. AND you can see a few underfolders. I THINK those came out in the 60s! I wish they would have used AKs from Arsenal and just replaced the furniture with wood. But I guess we are just gun snobs!!!

Forgot to add that I absolutely love bakelite! I want to get a few. I am a bit of an AK purist as far as furniture. (on full size, pistols I love the Sig brace). On all my AKs I've ever purchased the first thing I do is to replace any non wood furniture with wood. Ironwood Designs is my favorite place to get it!

I like the brace, I have one myself for a project I'm working on. However at the pace I build rifles....I might need the Holy Grail to sustain me until completion.

PLEASE don't forget a range report!

Chris
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's a mini- review:

I bought a M85NP from J&G a few months ago and was blown away by the fit and finish of the gun. The only issue was an ever so slightly canted front sight that I was able to tap into proper alignment. So when I found an equally good deal on the M92 from Prepper Guns I jumped at it.

The M92 came with 2 surplus steel mags, one of which had a bolt holding follower. Both rattle a little in the gun. The finish on the M92 isn't as nice as the 85; the bolt has some machining marks on the top, and there's a few other minor scratches on it. The front sight and gas tube are perfectly aligned. Also, the trigger was really gritty at first, but 5-6 dry fires smoothed it right out.

The M85 came with a booster muzzle brake, but the M92 had a muzzle nut tack welded on; a few swipes with a file cured that and now it's wearing a CNC Warrior flash suppressor/brake combo (I coulda just hand-tightened it on but I went ahead and bought a detent kit and did it right). I also stained the fore grip to a reddish-brown; originally it was more blonde.

I haven't shot paper, but was able to hit 12"x12" targets at about 100 yards fairly easily before adding the brace although fast follow-ups weren't happening. Prior to adding the muzzle brake, there was a rather large flame thrower effect. I haven't noticed much flame since the brake was added but I suspect that'd be different at night. The muzzle brake has quite a concussive effect to the side. The brace makes it totally controllable; of course I mean as a pistol, cuz I would never dream of shouldering it and risk turning 'a wrench into a hammer' .

The bakelites and tapco mags don't shake at all; the steel mags wobble a little. Steel and bakelite run 100% but I did have a few problems of my own design with the tapcos- I drilled a witness hole in the back but didn't smooth it enough for the follower (which is super tight) to ride over the hole. A light sanding should solve that.

Both of these guns exceed my expectations, especially considering the price. By all means, if they're legal in your state, get one. Better yet, get both!

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Here's a mini- review:

I bought a M85NP from J&G a few months ago and was blown away by the fit and finish of the gun. The only issue was an ever so slightly canted front sight that I was able to tap into proper alignment. So when I found an equally good deal on the M92 from Prepper Guns I jumped at it.

The M92 came with 2 surplus steel mags, one of which had a bolt holding follower. Both rattle a little in the gun. The finish on the M92 isn't as nice as the 85; the bolt has some machining marks on the top, and there's a few other minor scratches on it. The front sight and gas tube are perfectly aligned. Also, the trigger was really gritty at first, but 5-6 dry fires smoothed it right out.

The M85 came with a booster muzzle brake, but the M92 had a muzzle nut tack welded on; a few swipes with a file cured that and now it's wearing a CNC Warrior flash suppressor/brake combo (I coulda just hand-tightened it on but I went ahead and bought a detent kit and did it right). I also stained the fore grip to a reddish-brown; originally it was more blonde.

I haven't shot paper, but was able to hit 12"x12" targets at about 100 yards fairly easily before adding the brace although fast follow-ups weren't happening. Prior to adding the muzzle brake, there was a rather large flame thrower effect. I haven't noticed much flame since the brake was added but I suspect that'd be different at night. The muzzle brake has quite a concussive effect to the side. The brace makes it totally controllable; of course I mean as a pistol, cuz I would never dream of shouldering it and risk turning 'a wrench into a hammer' Image.

The bakelites and tapco mags don't shake at all; the steel mags wobble a little. Steel and bakelite run 100% but I did have a few problems of my own design with the tapcos- I drilled a witness hole in the back but didn't smooth it enough for the follower (which is super tight) to ride over the hole. A light sanding should solve that.

Both of these guns exceed my expectations, especially considering the price. By all means, if they're legal in your state, get one. Better yet, get both!

Ive been tempted. My shop has a HUGE selection of AKs lately. Even Toks. And since I have been actually starting to enjoy CS, I need both. Before I moved I sold all my AKs but still have mags and a drum. But I NEED a 1917 first. Only Raiders gun I own is my Hi Power and a P38

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Since we're paying homage to General Kalashnikov...

My AK pride and joy is the Egyptian Maadi, still in service with the Egyptian military. Not my photo:

Shoddy painted finish, distinctive blonde laminated wood, shiny chocolate brown plastic pistol grip, unique emerald green sling.

Besides, what AK fan doesn't appreciate the AKM used exclusively in Red Dawn? That's the original 1984 Red Dawn for you Millennials. ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

I had a Maadi. Make sure you inspect the lugs in your reciever! Took mine to my smith and he showed me how it was unfortunately hacked up inside by some third world armorer. Showed me just how close to a catastrophic failure it was. :( However mine is a rare exception to the rule. I am actively looking for another Maadi. It was my favorite of the AKs I owned. They are SHARP looking. I imagine even Col Dr Spalko would approve!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with your Maadi, Chris. Now I know why you got rid of it! They can be hit and miss.

Was it an all-Egyptian Intrac or Pars imported model, or one of the later Century Arms Misr-90 frankenguns?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_81/14396 ... Guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Intrac has digested hundreds of rounds of various origins without a hiccup so far. *fingers crossed*
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

It was most definitely a MISR. The MISR's are known for having lugs in sad shape. Those armorers in Egypt really have no formal training so the guns suffer.

Spalko DOES NOT approve!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Chris,

See the ARFCOM link in my last post.

Chinese barrels and front trunions mated to Egyptian parts explain the Misr chop job. So the issue was likely with Norinco and/or Century Arms, not Tent 54.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Chris,

See the ARFCOM link in my last post.

Chinese barrels and front trunions mated to Egyptian parts explain the Misr chop job. So the issue was likely with Norinco and/or Century Arms, not Tent 54.

No this was showed to me by an experienced master smith. He had seen several of these hack jobs. Century wouldn't hack a gun this bad. This was someone in a dimly lit arms room with some sort of dremel or grinder. The Egyptians are notorious for this. What scares me is that firstly Century let this gun pass their QC, and I never noticed it other than saying "wow thats ugly". Ill try to find the pictures for you. I very well could be using the wrong terms. The failure was that the parts were ground on so bad (to match mismatched parts) that the next round could have caused them to sheer off sending the entire carrier assembly flying our the back of the rifle. To scare me into getting rid of the gun, he showed me one that it had happened to and it was sobering to say the least! Ive seen some of Century's AKs that are atrocious, but this was a James Wan horror film. I sold him the parts and he kept the receiver to teach his new guy on. But now we are getting all gun technical. Let's get back to Indy! I don't want to derail any further than I have.

I want the one you have. I take donations. Got any pics? :)

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mine looks identical to the one in the pic I posted, sans the "Steyr, Secaucus, NJ" rollmark and the wings on the bayo lug. :)

Back to Indy guns!

*crickets* :lol:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Mine looks identical to the one in the pic I posted, sans the "Steyr, Secaucus, NJ" rollmark and the wings on the bayo lug. :)

Back to Indy guns!

*crickets* :lol:
Ill PM you my FFL info so you can donate it to me. :)

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Any of you guys seen/laid hands on the GSG MP40-22? I held one a few months ago and it seemed pretty solid. They're about $450 with free shipping from a couple of different retailers now- thinking hard about ordering one.

http://gsg522.net/gsg-mp40-price-news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

If I got one I would have to do a stamp for it so I can ditch that horrid mock suppressor.

I almost got the Sturmgewehr .22 but when I went home to grab my card which I had left on the table someone snatched it up! And I even thought, nah it'll be there in a half hour. DOH!

Every time I visit the shop I look for that perfect Raiders 1917 but alas, skunked again! They have a Webley but not the WG. I will no longer just jump at things I "must have". I really have to get my Indy handguns squared away.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Good luck on the 1917. Took me several yrs to get one at a decent price.

Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Here is my S&W.
Funny, because the color is brownish, rather than the "Blue/Black" color.

Elk Grover
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Elk Grover »

I was thinking of getting a Colt Official Police revolver whether it is an
screen-accurate Indy gun or not. However, I noticed that the
homepage of Indygear has gone back to saying that in the "Temple
of Doom" the on screen guns used by Mr. Ford are the Eley Hand
Ejector (shooting) and the Colt New Service Revolver (out the window).

Perhaps I am remembering this wrong, but I think it used to say (until
recently) that the guns used were the Colt Official Police (shooting) and
a 5 inch S&W M&P (out the window.)

I am getting old. Perhaps I am hallucinating? Would still like to pick up
Colt, but it would be a shame to lose bragging rights- if you know what I
mean?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Elk,

You are right. In Temple of Doom it was a Colt official Police and a S&W 5inch M&P used in the film. Here is the thread with all the info.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RaiderZee and myself put a lot of work into researching what was actually used in the film and if they have changed that on the home page here in will be very upsetting. I will check into it and try to follow up.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No reason to be upset. I think when Mike reposted his story about his trip to Hawaii and jumping into the river, I think some other old stuff got reposted as well. I alerted him.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Thanks Michaelson!! As always you are the man!

I'm sure you remember the hard work we all put into working this one out. Hope it can be corrected on the main page soon.

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Canasta wrote:Here is my S&W.
Funny, because the color is brownish, rather than the "Blue/Black" color.

Nice!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Bond wrote:Thanks Michaelson!! As always you are the man!

I'm sure you remember the hard work we all put into working this one out. Hope it can be corrected on the main page soon.

Indeed I do. :TOH:

UPDATE: Fixed.

Regards! M
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Michaelson wrote:
UPDATE: Fixed.

Regards! M

Thanks Michaelson! :H:

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I hear crickets.....anything new? Come on gents it's the time of year to be out burnin' powder with your shootin' irons! I might go out this week with my 1911, Hi Power, M1 Garand and a pack of Luckies and try to get some good action shots and video of them in action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

No new Indy guns for me. I picked up a sweet little Taurus PT111G2 9mm for $200 shipped a few weeks ago. Smaller/more concealable than a Glock 19, 12+1 capacity. Picked it up from Kentucky Gun Co. if anyone else is interested.

midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Here's my new-to-me S&W M1917 and Colt Army Special- precursor to the Colt "Official Police". Annnnd my Wested, whip and Akubra, just for the photo. I haven't shot either yet, but I've got the moon clip all loaded and ready for the next time I get the chance! :TOH:

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Im green with envy! Awesome!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Great photo

midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Thanks! Here are my two others- one "not quite" Indy Webley in .38 S&W and a S&W Victory Model currently in .38spl. The Smith is going to Cylinder and Slide to get re-barreled and re-parkerized to bring it back to it's original condition. Normally I wouldn't monkey about with an older gun, but someone decided to ream out the original cylinder to re-chamber it to .38spl before I got to it. Too bad too, the cylinder and frame are all matching, with British proof marks. I'm hoping they can use the original cylinder when they re-barrel it down to .38 S&W, but if not, I've got another they can hopefully mate to it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The problem I had with my old British marked Victory was the quality control (or lack of) with the drilling of the cylinder chambers.

It split lead at the forcing cone about every 3rd shot due to not being lined up with the barrel, so the guns being sent by Smith during the war for the Lend/Lease Plan overseas weren't all that good....but war production was a high speed affair, so that isn't a big surprise. Things that would have been normally caught and fixed were missed.

You may be MUCH better off having that work done if you plan on doing shooting with the piece, as since the gun has already been drilled out, there's little to no collectors value left due to it no longer being original.

You've chosen.....wisely (in my opinion). :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Michaelson wrote:You may be MUCH better off having that work done if you plan on doing shooting with the piece, as since the gun has already been drilled out, there's little to no collectors value left due to it no longer being original.

You've chosen.....wisely (in my opinion). :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Thanks M. I have a close friend that's a gunsmith for Berretta. I take all my used guns to him for a once over before I shoot them. The biggest issue, separate from the chamber-reaming, is the cylinder timing- it's just slightly off on two of the chambers. While I could shoot it and probably be ok, I'm not willing to risk it. As you said, collector's value is already destroyed, so why not do a full restore to war-time specs. At least then I'll have a fun shooter.

That said, the rest of the revolvers will remain unmolested. I'm very impressed with the M1917 and Colt Army. The lock-up, timing, and barrel condition on those two are fantastic, for their age.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, the timing on those old war horses are AWFUL, and I sure don't want to be standing next to you when it's spitting lead out of the side of the front of those two chambers..... but they sure look nice, don't they? :TOH:

Regards! M
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

So, I broke down and got this ATI GSG MP40 in .22LR today. Haven't shot it yet but it feels amazing-it's got some heft to it and feels pretty sturdy. Working under-folder stock. Came in a cool wood crate, too. Even the faux suppressor doesn't bother me.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

That is awesome! If it were mine I would have to SBR it tho.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Supposedly they're making the 9mm version. If I get one of those I may just have to go for an SBR.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Supposedly they're making the 9mm version. If I get one of those I may just have to go for an SBR.

Hold the phone....a 9mm version? Christmas is coming....and I STILL never returned Michaelson's credit card......

:)

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... mp-40-9mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

And one more...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/first- ... show-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Thanks for the links! I would absolutely SBR one. Makes me sad no open bolt but still the MP40 is one of my favorites of all time. I would probably get the pistol version and submit the paperwork. I bet adding a stock would be easier than having that mock suppressor chopped. You made my day with this news!

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For those of us who don't speak gun. SBR?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

Short-barreled-rifle. Any rifle with a barrel less than 16". Requires a fingerprint background check from ATF and a $200 tax stamp to own.

Last edited by cm289 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Ah, thanks. :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff