Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by indymassilia »

Very beautiful RAIDERS fedora from Steve,and thanks Zaynecarrick for the link of Sarah's hat boxes,can be very helpful !
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Great pics !! AB's need to be worn !! I hope you enjoy your fedora !!! :TOH:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Mine after a Hat Stiffener treatment. Shaped to look like the Idol fedora. I'm quite satisfied with the result!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I know, I know, no pics yet, but I just wanted to report the great news that I just received my AB Raiders! It is beautiful and fits great! Pics to come soon. Thanks Mr. Delk!
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

So you received yours after only about 2 1/2 months since your order?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yup, believe it or not. I was expecting to hunker down for months if not next year, but I emailed Mr. Delk earlier this week and he said that it would ship this week. The box came today! I consider myself very fortunate...
belloq
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by belloq »

Yes, a 2-month wait is very fortunate indeed, in light of 25+ customers still waiting SEVEN YEARS. I am glad you got yours at least.
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

April 21st will be seven years for me. Steve told me in January of 2014 I should get my hat by the end of that year. I have had no word from him since.
Bob
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Buchanan Bob wrote:April 21st will be seven years for me. Steve told me in January of 2014 I should get my hat by the end of that year. I have had no word from him since.
Bob
OUCH.. :#:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I say email him again. He got back to me the same day when I did...
indyjones7
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by indyjones7 »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Buchanan Bob wrote:April 21st will be seven years for me.
OUCH.. :#:
Ouch is right! I thought 6 months for a Penman was a long wait.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Charybdis wrote:I say email him again. He got back to me the same day when I did...
I remember when i ordered my hat from Delk. I had a couple emails back and forth. THEN it stopped. I tried a few times but still no reply..SO being smarter than the average bear I contacted him with a different email and in the headline I put something like "looking to place an order"...FUNNY how he got right back with me after that..I then let him know I used a different email and faked an order request and why he didnt get back with me before having to go that route...Some will say i was wrong for doing that.I say I did what was needed. SO be smart out there people.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Charybdis wrote:I say email him again. He got back to me the same day when I did...
I remember when i ordered my hat from Delk. I had a couple emails back and forth. THEN it stopped. I tried a few times but still no reply..SO being smarter than the average bear I contacted him with a different email and in the headline I put something like "looking to place an order"...FUNNY how he got right back with me after that..I then let him know I used a different email and faked an order request and why he didnt get back with me before having to go that route...Some will say i was wrong for doing that.I say I did what was needed. SO be smart out there people.
I remember. All things considered, after about seven of my own years, I wouldn't say you were wrong.
tucolino
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tucolino »

youngjedi71 wrote:
no,not wrong at all.i´m also on that ship,this august will be 8 years of waiting....
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Just wanted to chime in since its been a while since I did. I received my after a 5 and a half year wait back in Oct of 2013, so roughly a year and a half ago. I've worn it on every camping trip, hike and outdoor get together. Lately I've been wearing it almost every day as it has really started to look a lot cooler since breaking in. Also finally gave in and crumpled it up and put it back into shape and that just made it have way more character too. Last week I tried (for fun) to do a little fuller's earth treatment and WOW. All of a sudden my love for it tripled! The difference from the clean, brand new look, to the weathered Indy look was huge. I absolutely love it and stare at it constantly.

My trick to getting my hat was also to send Steve a "donation" of an extra $100 towards my hat to bump it up in the cue. Fortunately for me it got me a quick response. It still took another 7 months or so but finally it turned up on my door. Can't say I support the way he does business but I do admire the craftsmanship and it was certainly worth the wait to have a screen accurate hat from the same block as Harrison Ford.

Anyway, here's some eye candy!

Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

youngjedi71 wrote:
So.... did he send you a hat and what did he say when you asked him why he stopped responding? My question is, is Steve OK? I had read here that he was in such a dire place that he was going to lose even his cell phone service. Hope he is doing better.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

i'll reply in a PM..the mods dont like too much of this type of conversation.
Canada Jones wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:
So.... did he send you a hat and what did he say when you asked him why he stopped responding? My question is, is Steve OK? I had read here that he was in such a dire place that he was going to lose even his cell phone service. Hope he is doing better.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

I finally got my AB CS hat.
I ordered in July 09 but I decided to pay the complement for the new price in February to help Steve with his financial problems.
I'm really happy, the hat fit like a glove.

PS: a big thank you to lantzn for his help
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Looks great! I'm thinking of taking the same strategy myself.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Btw, there was a question as to which liner Steve was using for the hats. Mine came with the Staff of Ra liner..
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Charybdis wrote:Btw, there was a question as to which liner Steve was using for the hats. Mine came with the Staff of Ra liner..
Same here.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

SpeedRcrX wrote:
Charybdis wrote:Btw, there was a question as to which liner Steve was using for the hats. Mine came with the Staff of Ra liner..
Same here.
Mine too
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In a search I just did, here's an explanation Steve posted back in 2009 regarding liners, edited to show only pertinent content regarding the liner question:
Fedora said: Ok, this is the way I am handling the liner deal. Since I have a couple thousand of the staff of ra liners still in stock, I have plenty to use up. What I have been doing is putting in the new liner(which costs me 3 times as much as the old liner) in the new price ABS, that is the 350 or 400 dollar ones. I sold alot of hats for 225 or 250 and these get the cheaper staff of ra liner. Or, if the hat is a Raiders fedora, it gets the staff of ra liner.

So, you will see both liners from me for quite some time. Eventually, I will use up the staff of ra liners and then only use the new one. But, as I said, I have plenty on hand because I bought up a large supply before designing a new liner.

Since the staff of ra liner was used in at least one film hat, it is actually accurate to the film, although you never saw it in the film.

Also, I can still get the plain white liner, the modern one I used in the stunt hats for the film. I have been thinking about buying a case of those and having this as an option if you buy a CS fedora. It is the exact same as my staff of ra liner in materials and the way it is made, since it comes from the same company. It is just plain with no logo on the tip. It is also the liner used in the wedding hat in the film. That wedding hat apparently was a size 23 made for a stunt man, either that or Bernie pulled out the old liner and put in a new one that I had sent him, as extras. But, it is the modern liner, and not the one used for Ford's hats that we made. As most know, we used two plain liners in the film. One for all of Ford's contractual hats, (the side seamed liner) and then the modern liner from my supplier for the stunt hats. And then of course, apparently a staff of ra liner from a sample hat got aged by western costume and was sent to Hawaii and was used in the film by accident.

The good thing is, a film accurate liner is still available, and will be as long as my supplier in Texas stays in business.......

I guess I will just play it by ear and see if there is a demand for that plain white liner for the CS fedoras. One thing is for sure, the embroidered liners, the new AB liner is a pricey liner, but it should be. The design is woven and not stamped. You used to see this on vintage Stetsons once upon a time. As well as other famous brands. It is a classy and expensive looking piece of work, and the reason I went with it at the time. When my hats went up in price, I wanted an expensive liner to put in them. The motiff is certainly Indyesque enough, with the Meso American pyramid, and uses the old HJ color scheme. Fedora
Regards! Michaelson
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

1BAT4U wrote:
SpeedRcrX wrote:
Same here.
Mine too
Yep.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Me to, mine's a Steve Delk 2008 Raiders with the Staff of Ra liner and I love it !! :TOH:
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

+1 on the Staff of Ra liner. Congratulations on the lid SpeedRcrx!
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Thanks!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Looks good SpeedRcrX. Mine has the Ra liner as well. It appears there have been quite a few of us who went the price "upgrade" route to get our hats.
I'm glad I did, I wear mine almost every day since getting it. It's such a perfect fitting long oval and very light weight on the head. I've been breaking in the front brim and am liking the look of the Fuller Earth others have done.
CHAUVEL
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CHAUVEL »

Quite some years since i have posted on this forum, could not help but take a peak and see that steve delk is sending out new hats to recent orders. My order was about three computers or about eight years ago, full payment at the time. Tried a couple of emails over the years, learnt that steve was busy making hats for a movie, so hung back, learned that steve was very sick, hung back and wrote the whole experience off to bad fortune. Feel much better putting my hat dollar into the australian economy and wearing my fed 1V, pay money receive hat. :-k
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

CHAUVEL wrote:Quite some years since i have posted on this forum, could not help but take a peak and see that steve delk is sending out new hats to recent orders. My order was about three computers or about eight years ago, full payment at the time. Tried a couple of emails over the years, learnt that steve was busy making hats for a movie, so hung back, learned that steve was very sick, hung back and wrote the whole experience off to bad fortune. Feel much better putting my hat dollar into the australian economy and wearing my fed 1V, pay money receive hat. :-k
yep..i have a FedIV..its my hat I wear..i have an AB I keep in a box and never wear..ironic..lol
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

youngjedi71 wrote: yep..i have a FedIV..its my hat I wear..i have an AB I keep in a box and never wear..ironic..lol
I wear my AB often

Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Nice . . . Looks like a third Blues Brother.

. . . . the one with a bit more style . . . . 8)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Not sure if I shared this with you guys and dolls. new in the ABL collection

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 449&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndianaGear Hunter
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaGear Hunter »

Well I am at wits end and need some advice or direction. I just hit my 7 year mark on two hat orders.

I have written Steve through the AB website email once a month since my initial post back in January 2015 from my initital email address from 7 years ago. I have also written from two other accounts (gmail and road runner) in case my emails were going to his spam folder.
In each email I have offered to send in a "donation" as others have done here, in order to get my order bumped up.

To date I have received no response on any of the emails I have sent from all three accounts.
No emails have bounced back so I know they are at least getting delivered.

IGH
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

IndianaGear Hunter wrote:Well I am at wits end and need some advice or direction. I just hit my 7 year mark on two hat orders.

I have written Steve through the AB website email once a month since my initial post back in January 2015 from my initital email address from 7 years ago. I have also written from two other accounts (gmail and road runner) in case my emails were going to his spam folder.
In each email I have offered to send in a "donation" as others have done here, in order to get my order bumped up.

To date I have received no response on any of the emails I have sent from all three accounts.

IGH
I would say..best case scenario is ..Delk has read your emails but for some reason dont care to reply and you will get your hats in time..OR worst case scenario...you lost your money..
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

IndianaGear Hunter wrote:Well I am at wits end and need some advice or direction. I just hit my 7 year mark on two hat orders.

IGH
youngjedi71 wrote:

IGH
I would say..best case scenario is ..Delk has read your emails but for some reason dont care to reply and you will get your hats in time..OR worst case scenario...you lost your money..

Let's take this to the "Old fedora is still alive thread" . That thread is for pending orders and updates such as this.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58928&start=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a reminder that that thread is for members with PENDING orders only.

Thanks!

Chris
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Was recently complemented for my AB at Disneyland again by someone wearing a Dorfman Pacific. However, that someone tried to boast that he has the official Indiana Jones hat and the same as the one in the movies. Oh, how I wish Disneyland lets you bring a revolver or a whip into the park....
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

zaynecarrick wrote:Was recently complemented for my AB at Disneyland again by someone wearing a Dorfman Pacific. However, that someone tried to boast that he has the official Indiana Jones hat and the same as the one in the movies. Oh, how I wish Disneyland lets you bring a revolver or a whip into the park....
first indy lid i ever had was a late eighties indiana jones licensed Dorfman Pacific (wool felt). And boy, was I pleased with it ! The licence made it real precious in my eyes...
funnily enough, i ended up dumping the thing maybe a year ago to make room for my other INdy lids (way better hats, in every regard)

still, i almost wax nostalgic when i get to tell how and when i got my first indy lid and how it made me feel at the time...
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

zaynecarrick wrote:Was recently complemented for my AB at Disneyland again by someone wearing a Dorfman Pacific. However, that someone tried to boast that he has the official Indiana Jones hat and the same as the one in the movies. Oh, how I wish Disneyland lets you bring a revolver or a whip into the park....
you should have AB webpage/story saved on your phone where you can pull it up and show people like this. Then they can #$%^ an egg.. :whip:

MOD EDIT: Please do not bypass word censor. It exists for a reason.
albert jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by albert jones »

:-k I want to order one AB, but I am afraid wenn I musst wait a Long time.......1,or 2 years. Ist normal ???
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

albert jones wrote::-k I want to order one AB, but I am afraid wenn I musst wait a Long time.......1,or 2 years. Ist normal ???
If you want an AB, you should order from Penman.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

If you want the legacy lightweight then yes. However, drop Steve a line and see what he says for wait time. I have one of each and both are great.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

albert jones wrote::-k I want to order one AB, but I am afraid wenn I musst wait a Long time.......1,or 2 years. Ist normal ???
I ordered late Sept, was initially stated by Steve to arrive in late Oct/mid Nov. Got it late Feb of the next year. Still pleasantly surprised.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
If you want an AB, you should order from Penman.
If you want an Adventurebilt that is not the Adventurebilt Legacy Raiders hat that John makes (which Steve does not and never has made) you have to order from Steve. John does not presently make a beaver Adventurebilt nor does he make a standard (non ABL) in rabbit. (other than the CS hat he's made for the Shatner auction, of course.)

Steve's turnaround on new orders is generally pretty short - like 8 weeks.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I understand your feelings here, but you know this is truly a 'matter of reality call,' if you will. For me, if I am in a situation such as this, I make an effort to determine if the other person is of the disposition to understand, much less accept an history lesson, if not, I simply would/will say (something to the effect): I'm pleased that you are so happy with your hat. Enjoy it. If you would like to know more about the full history behind the 'movie hats,' and their succession into the lives of fans such as us, here is where you can gather that information....(send them here, or to the main site). If they are truly curious, they will investigate, if not -- their loss and your gain because you didn't allow their lack of knowledge to make you crazy. It truly is not worth 'one's' time to allow another person space within the attic of our minds. Handle it this way and you will have so much more room 'up there' for many more important things then their misguided beliefs and concepts.

Now, on the other hand if the person(s) truly wants to know more, then by all means give 'um all the info you've got -- you'll gain a friend (very broke financially, in the end :rolling: for life,) but he'll be your friend! W>
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

When I'm in Disney and wearing a custom Indy hat I keep a few of the makers business cards in my wallet. Helpful in case someone inquires! I've never had someone tell me theirs is the real deal if it is a Dorfman but I have had people ask and I give them a card. Whatever I can do to spread awareness of better hats, I'll do!
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

WConly wrote:
I understand your feelings here, but you know this is truly a 'matter of reality call,' if you will. For me, if I am in a situation such as this, I make an effort to determine if the other person is of the disposition to understand, much less accept an history lesson, if not, I simply would/will say (something to the effect): I'm pleased that you are so happy with your hat. Enjoy it. If you would like to know more about the full history behind the 'movie hats,' and their succession into the lives of fans such as us, here is where you can gather that information....(send them here, or to the main site). If they are truly curious, they will investigate, if not -- their loss and your gain because you didn't allow their lack of knowledge to make you crazy. It truly is not worth 'one's' time to allow another person space within the attic of our minds. Handle it this way and you will have so much more room 'up there' for many more important things then their misguided beliefs and concepts.

Now, on the other hand if the person(s) truly wants to know more, then by all means give 'um all the info you've got -- you'll gain a friend (very broke financially, in the end :rolling: for life,) but he'll be your friend! W>
Anger management issues aside, :lol: , I did let him know about the site, and Steve's site. That a simple Google search ought to be enough. Not much of a reaction from the other party but I did my job. That said, there was a worker on the parking tram who recognized my AB, and he's the owner of an HJ+Akubra Fed, so at least someone there was well versed.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ChrisMD wrote:When I'm in Disney and wearing a custom Indy hat I keep a few of the makers business cards in my wallet. Helpful in case someone inquires! I've never had someone tell me theirs is the real deal if it is a Dorfman but I have had people ask and I give them a card. Whatever I can do to spread awareness of better hats, I'll do!
When wearing my AB at DW, I've never had anyone ask what it was, just if it was for sale. :-k

:lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I've had people ask me where I got the hat I'm wearing. A few weeks ago someone even asked if the Penman I was wearing was an Adventurebilt.

I generally keep a spare card in the sweatband of each hat to offer anyone who is genuinely interested, but beyond that I usually keep in mind a quote from Robert Heinlein that one of my favorite teachers kept on her desk when she was on the Court of Appeal.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

In my case, I just tell them 'no', and walk on. :lol:

I've found in all my dealings with folks, they're not really interested in WHAT the hat is or who makes it......just if it's something they can obtain for themselves. ;)

It's a rare bird indeed who shows any interest in provenance or history of maker.....they just want to know if it's in their price range. :-k

Regards! M