Dilemma.....

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Dilemma.....

Post by Misfit13 »

Hey there. So I have been storing my web belt, gloves, Linder knife, etc in m WW2 issued satchel. I've read and have been told by other Indy gear heads that the bag was treated with asbestos. This makes me nervous. Needless to say, I emptied the contents out of the bag and figured on replacing the belt and gloves. The knife I figured on a good scrubbing then oiled. Anyone else been through this?
Cajunkraut

Re: Dilemma.....

Post by Cajunkraut »

I'm unaware of MK VIIs being treated with asbestos.

The gas mask filters reportedly contained asbestos, which leads one to conclude that concern is warranted only if the bag was once in service.

http://asbestosguru.com/can-asbestos-washed-clothes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's pretty much the same thing I'm coming up with in my internet reading too, Cajunkraut. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I doubt it's a problem, and even if the bag once had an asbestos filter in it, not likely a problem worth worrying about.

The "geology" kit I had as a kid had an asbestos rock in it that you could pull the fibers off of. My high school science classroom had asbestos benches. I had a jar of mercury in my desk that we used to play with when we were bored. It's 45 years later and none of us have or have ever had lung cancer.

I'm sure you've been exposed to worse stuff, but probably just don't know it.

The world's just not a safe place. Worrying about that will just make you nuts . . . :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:The "geology" kit I had as a kid had an asbestos rock in it that you could pull the fibers off of. My high school science classroom had asbestos benches. I had a jar of mercury in my desk that we used to play with when we were bored. It's 45 years later and none of us have or have ever had lung cancer.
Wow. I remember that well. So did ours. :lol:

Regard! M
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Michaelson wrote:
Ridgerunner58 wrote:The "geology" kit I had as a kid had an asbestos rock in it that you could pull the fibers off of. My high school science classroom had asbestos benches. I had a jar of mercury in my desk that we used to play with when we were bored. It's 45 years later and none of us have or have ever had lung cancer.
Wow. I remember that well. So did ours. :lol:

Regard! M

Makes you feel kinda old . . . doesn't it? 8)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I'm sure you've been exposed to worse stuff, but probably just don't know it. The world's just not a safe place. Worrying about that will just make you nuts . . . :TOH:
Yep. According to the Republik of Kalifornia, Fuller's Earth is carcinogenic too. :roll:
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

Thanks for all the replies. I work as a firefighter/operator in an oil refinery here in Peoples Republik of Kalifornia so I am surrounded by all sorts of interesting items. Makes me a bit paranoid lol!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Cajunkraut wrote: Yep. According to the Republik of Kalifornia, Fuller's Earth is carcinogenic too. :roll:
So is most of the stuff in the grocery store . . .

Like I said . . . worrying about it will make you nuts . . . :-s
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:

I just became a grandpa last week, so there are other things that are making feel old lately. :lol:

Regards! M
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Michaelson wrote:
Ridgerunner58 wrote:

I just became a grandpa last week, so there are other things that are making feel old lately. :lol:

Regards! M

Congratulations!!! :tup: :tup:

I have 5 of them. It's the best job in the world - and the payoff for not tying your kids in a sack with a brick in it and tossing them in the river.

:D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks! I keep telling her eat it while it's young, but she not having any of it. ;)

Regards! M
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:
Ridgerunner58 wrote:

Regards! M
Congrats to you Mr. M! Tis a fun time ahead! Enjoy while their young and give up all rights to 'um while they're in their teen years...then you can slowly take them back. At least that's what my Dad told me to do. Not certain I will be able to let go when ours get older. But then again with nine of 'um :-k ....I'm going to have to do some serious thinking on this one! In the meantime -- again congrats and have the time of your life :TOH: ! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks all, :TOH: but I didn't mean to derail the problem being discussed here. :oops:

Regards! M
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Ridgerunner58 wrote: So is most of the stuff in the grocery store . . .

Like I said . . . worrying about it will make you nuts . . . :-s
...and nuts are dangerous, too. So you don't want to being THAT!

And congrats, Grandknower of Things
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:TOH: