Period Indy jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Period Indy jacket

Post by backstagejack »

If you were to put Indy in a period accurate jacket what would it be?

An A2 in goat or horsehide? Levi's 1930's sheepskin (ala Skyfall Bond) ? Something with a halfbelt?

pics?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Period Indy jacket

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well, seeing at the A-2 wasn't adopted until the 1940's I suppose Indy could have worn an A-1 (reasonably small distinction, I know, but aren't we all about small distinctions here ;) ).

Indy served in WW1 and with the more common use of the jacket type by civilian aviators I could easily see him continuing to wear a barn storming jacket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

1930's half belt!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Well, seeing at the A-2 wasn't adopted until the 1940's I suppose Indy could have worn an A-1 (reasonably small distinction, I know, but aren't we all about small distinctions here ;) ).

Indy served in WW1 and with the more common use of the jacket type by civilian aviators I could easily see him continuing to wear a barn storming jacket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
The A-2 was in use in the service in the 1930s. It was originally spec'd in 1931. That said, if you're adventuring and travelling in the elements, wool knits are probably not the way to go. A barnstormer style makes sense, possibly a half-belt.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Well, if anyone is interested in a barnstormer-ish jacket, I just got one off auction and it's just not for me. I like the short Indy-length jackets too much.

Here it is:

It's a size 40-42 (back is about 29", sleeves just around 23-24") and I'm quite willing to let it go, just PM me.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

That is a very nice jacket :TOH:
I too wouldn't mind a half belt. I think wested sells one with a very thick sheep fur inside it.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks, this one is alpaca lined and it's really nice leather, already broken in. Which is why I liked/bought it.

The style just isn't for me.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I understand. The jacket is an extension of you and if you don't like the style, it just isn't gong to work. :TOH:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

DiCatania wrote:I understand. The jacket is an extension of you and if you don't like the style, it just isn't gong to work. :TOH:
Exactly!
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Schott had developed the Perfecto jacket for motorcyclists in 1928, and a lot of pilots probably wore them too since the same features which made it a practical choice for a motorcycle would have worked in an airplane. Black leather motorcycle jackets were very commonly worn by even by police officers in the 30's and 40's, and didn't have a bad reputation until the movie "The Wild One" of the 1950's.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

The best period piece jacket I've ever seen is Hollowpond's Half Belt. That screams Indy to me and if they ever reboot the franchise and move away from his jacket I hope they consider that one for its accuracy with the period. Granted I don't want it to change I could live with that one... Sorry I went off topic there. Just had to get that out of my system :lol:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Thanks man! I love that dang thing. Not really SA to anything and especially not IJ, but it really feels like I'm my own "adventurer" when I wear it... :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Hollowpond wrote:Thanks man! I love that dang thing. Not really SA to anything and especially not IJ, but it really feels like I'm my own "adventurer" when I wear it... :TOH:
Show us the jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Pictures of it right here.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 83#p852983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

backstagejack wrote:If you were to put Indy in a period accurate jacket what would it be?

An A2 in goat or horsehide? Levi's 1930's sheepskin (ala Skyfall Bond) ? Something with a halfbelt?

pics?
A thread about this seems to surface every few months.

For 1930's Indy an A1. For a 1940's plus Indy an A2. A2's date from 1937. A half-belt would be nice but an A1, the classic adventurer's jacket was created in the 1920's and was the precursor to the A2, was made of light capeskin (sheep) so would "work better" in the desert.

Hollowpond's Californian copy looks period accurate to the late 1940's. A very nice item.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Pictures of it right here.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 83#p852983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

And ok now I remember that jacket. Looks great!

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I need to put new ones up. It's been broken in from all the wear it got this winter and it just gained character. It looks even better!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hollowpond wrote:I need to put new ones up. It's been broken in from all the wear it got this winter and it just gained character. It looks even better!
:WLWOP:

:CR:

:lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You want picks? Here ya go.

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oooh!!!! Colors!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Here's a pick...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

CM wrote:
backstagejack wrote:If you were to put Indy in a period accurate jacket what would it be?

pics?
A thread about this seems to surface every few months.

For 1930's Indy an A1. For a 1940's plus Indy an A2. A2's date from 1937. A half-belt would be nice but an A1, the classic adventurer's jacket was created in the 1920's and was the precursor to the A2, was made of light capeskin (sheep) so would "work better" in the desert.

Hollowpond's Californian copy looks period accurate to the late 1940's. A very nice item.
Again, just to keep the record straight, the first A-2 contract (32-485) was from 1931/1932 and filled by Security Aviation Togs of Chicago. Werber followed that up in 1932/1933 with contract (33-1729). Granted, the early contracts were for only 500 jackets or so, but they were around in service. Werber had another contract in 1935 (again, little more than 500 jackets).
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yes Tibor should have been more specific - not widely available until 1937. A tiny amount produced before then were less likely to make their way to Indy. But anything is possible.

As I said in an earlier thread on this I would have accepted Indy in a worn A2 in 1936 but it's a bit of stretch.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hey, if he can have a Belgium made Browning P35 in his belt, only produced a year before Raiders, and only available to the Belgium army at the time, why not an A2? ;)

That said, though, I also go with the A1 or half belt configuration idea, as they were available just about anywhere, and in a college professor's price range.

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

If memory serves (it normally doesn't) I think the MKVII bag was a 40's era piece too!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. We don't want to get TOO deep into the 'period correct' dissection of his gear, as we'll find a TON of incorrect items were put into play by the director and prop department as a matter of convenience rather than historical accuracy. ;)

I believe that's the point of the original question in this thread...what WOULD have been right?

Regard! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Hey, if he can have a Belgium made Browning P35 in his belt, only produced a year before Raiders, and only available to the Belgium army at the time, why not an A2? ;)

That said, though, I also go with the A1 or half belt configuration idea, as they were available just about anywhere, and in a college professor's price range.

Regards! Michaelson
But remember Indy doesn't have to live on a professor's salary...his dad is Sean Connery. Hellooo the millionaire? Duh! ;)

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:roll: #-o ;)
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Not an A-1. Too long and heavy.

I'd go with the shorter Levi's Menlo (Skyfall) type jacket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

CM wrote:Yes Tibor should have been more specific - not widely available until 1937. A tiny amount produced before then were less likely to make their way to Indy. But anything is possible.

As I said in an earlier thread on this I would have accepted Indy in a worn A2 in 1936 but it's a bit of stretch.
Yeah, I agree... Extremely unlikely that a civilian would have one. Even if you were discharged, you didn't keep your equipment. With only 1500 produced by then and most of those being actively worn, Indy's in something from Sears... something easily replaceable.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

An A-1 is a good idea, as Indy's gear is obviously military inspired.

I like the Sears comment.... something like the Levi vintage jacket, etc. SOmething like Magnoli's Open road jacket?

Indy was a professor, an everyman, he'd have more access to everyday places instead of military items even with his connections, I'd think.

What about Fedora's jacket from LC (if it was in brown of course) ? Is that even an accurate jacket to the time?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:Not an A-1. Too long and heavy.

I'd go with the shorter Levi's Menlo (Skyfall) type jacket.

Huh???? :Dietrich: An A1 is a short jacket made of very light sheep leather. It's like an A2, only lighter and has buttons rather than a zip and a knit collar.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Honestly, as much as I am a stark raving half-belt fan, I like the idea of a car coat like Fedora's. Indy was emulating him in the first place.

I always find that funny that we emulate Indy and have to get it down to the stitch count on a web belt, but Indy was the ORIGINAL gear head. If you measured him by our standards he stunk at it too!!!

I can hear us now..."the jacket had buttons not a zipper!! That jacket is way too short!! Where did you get that horrible ribbon!?!??? Have you ever SEEN Fedora's hat!?!???"

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

And his hair was longer, wrong nationality for a side kick... man, this list just goes on and on!!!! :rolling:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Ha! Indy's such a loser. Worst gear head ever... :roll:

:rolling:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hollowpond wrote:I need to put new ones up. It's been broken in from all the wear it got this winter and it just gained character. It looks even better!
I took the liberty of posting the photo of you in your jacket as you requested, Trav.

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Are those Noel Howard trousers?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yikes...him again... :roll:

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Just throwing this out there...is anyone watching Turn on AMC? That leather jacket that Abraham wears is AWESOME!

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

ChrisMD wrote:Just throwing this out there...is anyone watching Turn on AMC? That leather jacket that Abraham wears is AWESOME!

That's a bit TOO period :lol:

Haven't watched Turn yet, it's on my list.... distracted by Daredevil right now....
Last edited by backstagejack on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here is our "Vintage Adventure Jacket"... a blend of the standard Indy jacket with some more vintage elements:

ImageImage

...complete with plaid wool lining:

Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

That is one beautiful jacket! :TOH:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Here is our "Vintage Adventure Jacket"... a blend of the standard Indy jacket with some more vintage elements:

ImageImage

...complete with plaid wool lining:

Somehow, I missed this. It's good to see that jacket again. That's such a great jacket! I always thought it would be cool to extend the edges of the bi-swing panel out to the edges like on an IJ jacket and give it Ij straps. Someday....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Beautiful! :clap:

Just not a fan of the wool lining, though, as it could only be worn in only cool weather where I live, and I have enough heavy, rarely worn winter coats in my closet. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

=P~

Well, there goes one of my kidneys ;) :lol:

Great looking jacket Mags!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Beautiful! :clap:

Just not a fan of the wool lining, though, as it could only be worn in only cool weather where I live, and I have enough heavy, rarely worn winter coats in my closet. :(

Regards! Michaelson
I had one of these, and Magnoli swapped the lining out with an all-satin at my request. It was probably my favorite jacket of all time. The hide was quite thick, and a sweater underneath allowed me to wear it in some pretty frosty weather.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I imagine it would be in Pennsylvania, Chewie...but not down here in South Central Tennessee. ;)

Regards! M
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
I had one of these, and Magnoli swapped the lining out with an all-satin at my request. It was probably my favorite jacket of all time. The hide was quite thick, and a sweater underneath allowed me to wear it in some pretty frosty weather.
Now that I live in the Granite State, this jacket looks more and more appealing to pull off the MOTB Indy look during the winter ;-)
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

backstagejack wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Now that I live in the Granite State, this jacket looks more and more appealing to pull off the MOTB Indy look during the winter ;-)

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

whipcracker wrote:
backstagejack wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:

Regards! Michaelson

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
hahaha one day, hopefully soon ;)