Identify the maker please

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Identify the maker please

Post by RayROnline »

Here is a hat-stretcher...I think it was called a shape retainer, that I got several years back. It is like a few models you can easily find today but it has a cedar top piece that is wider than the main block.
It is not marked in any way and I can't remember who I purchased it new from. ](*,)

Can you help me find the maker or get other information please?

Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Identify the maker please

Post by Dalexs »

If I didn't know better, I'd say it almost looks homemade.
The turnbuckle is a standard piece of hardware from any big box, and the wood piece look
partially hand carved.

Dalexs
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Dalexs wrote:If I didn't know better, I'd say it almost looks homemade.
The turnbuckle is a standard piece of hardware from any big box, and the wood piece look
partially hand carved.

Dalexs
It does. I remember getting it as an after thought when buying a hat...but from whom? lol Meanwhile, I found this same one on a French website. But $18 shipping on top of the slightly high price and it ain't happenin [-X I'm still hoping someone knows the US supplier. Google sure doesn't. I may end up with a reasonable facsimile.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

David Morgan offers a nice one from Akubra. I've had mine for years and it works great!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If you haven't asked over at the Fedora Lounge, you might try posting there. The odds are higher that one of those guys know it.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

GOT IT:

This is a : Hallett drop-in hat stretcher

I fount Hallett stretchers on eBay and got one that was too small. I ended up talking to a wonderful gentleman named Ray Hallett who makes these. That's how I found out that he used to make the kind pictured with the dark cedar extended lip, the "Drop-In" Hat Stretcher, but has not for a while. Lately he has been making the typical design, but he will gladly put one together for me.

I must say I love these because they have no finish to stick or rub off on your cap/hat, they are very sturdy, and the extra lip means they don't drop down into the hat! :tup: They are perfect for stretching that slightly small hat, or keeping your hat size right, especially after getting wet. And it doesn't hurt that they may be the lowest price of them all =)

Here's another look:

Thanks for the replies :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent example! Thanks for sharing!

Regards! Michaelson :M: :tup: