Indy Boot for everyday use

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jedigear698
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by jedigear698 »

This is a question for all or any of you who have purchased Indy Boots, or any very close enough versions like the Coyle's Outdoorsman's over at Todds, etc. How well do they stand up to everyday use? Anywhere from "wear to my desk job everyday" to back country hikes. I really want a pair of Indy Boots, and I need to replace my torn up hikers. :-k
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: Indy Boot for everyday use

Post by ChrisMD »

Ive worn my Timberland Chukka's that Indiana Jeff endorses for some SERIOUS use in the Rockies on warm weather hunts, and hikes. They have stood up to the test. They also look darn good doing it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I live my Allen Edmonds Long Branch boots.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Jedigear, you're not really going to directly replace a pair of hikers with an Indy boot, IMO. That said, I find that my Alden 404's with the full Vibram lug sole are as good a boot as any in the woods, as long as it's not too wet. The leather on the 404 is very resilient, as it's heavily oiled and always brushes off and looks good. It's pretty scuff resistant as well. Not a screen accurate sole by any means, but still great boots with the Indy vibe! JMO.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

you can buy Indy boots with hike soles..
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

That's what 404's are, sorta. More a deep lug work boot sole, really.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I have a 12 year old pair of 405's with vibram lug soles and they're absolutely amazing. You've got a great looking shoe that's ready for some off roading. Here in Pennsylvania some hiking trails are very rocky. So rocky it's a pain. Something like that requires a solid pair of hiking boots but if you're trekking a dirt or moderately rocky trail then indy boots with the lug soles will do just fine.

szlsznsk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by szlsznsk »

I use aldens and aside from having the decorative lace replaced they've held up to serious abuse and every day used for at least five years. For the price they are awesome. I will buy another pair as soon as these wear out. Also the most comfortable shoes I own.
Ps. I did add some vibram soles to them to provide better traction after the old ones wore out they still look great and if you'd like to see them I will post a pic on request.
jedigear698
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by jedigear698 »

Thanks everyone! You've given me a lot to consider.
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

I know, late reply, but my boots from Todd's fell apart after a couple months.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

John Falcon wrote:I know, late reply, but my boots from Todd's fell apart after a couple months.
Were they the first ones or the latest, more expensive versions?
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I've found Todd's 2nd gen boots to be very durable. Some have complained of fragile hooks, but I still have all of mine. The soles and heels are too rigid, making them a bit crumbly- I replaced my heels with a pair of Goodyears. The height of the arch on the Todd's can be off-putting. I've never worn orthopedic shoes before so I don't know if that's what they're supposed to feel like or not.

I wear my 404s all the time. I'd have to say they're more comfortable than Todd's but then they also cost me $350 more. The 404s are fairly heavy for their size but not unreasonably so. I've worn them deer hunting before and they hold up fine in the woods.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Todd's were never built to be orthopedic platforms, where the Alden 404 'Tru-Balance' platform system was. It's also the reason they cost $350 more.

That's also the reason why Todd's don't feel the same as your Aldens. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have a few pair of the Red Wing Heritage models but they are very rough to break in. :cry:

Once you get them broken in, great ankle boots.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Michaelson wrote:Todd's were never built to be orthopedic platforms, where the Alden 404 'Tru-Balance' platform system was. It's also the reason they cost $350 more.

That's also the reason why Todd's don't feel the same as your Aldens. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Ha! That's funny- I always assumed that Todd's copied the 'orthopedic-ness' of the original Aldens 405s, and thus the super-high arch. As I have pretty high arches on my feet, they don't bother me all that much. I didn't realize the 404s were actually supposed to be orthopedic- to me they feel like normal boots.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it's Alden's own trademarked orthopedic platform, and why it's called a 'Tru-Balance' system.

That's the reason the front of the heel is cut in the shape of an 'S', as it's part of the design and not just to look 'cool'.

Regards! M
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I think that's what threw me off- Todd's copied the 'S' heel (and so did my cobbler when I had them replaced). My 404s just have a standard heel.Image

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, the 404 has the Tru-balance last, but not the heel, as they replaced the bottom platform with the Vibram sole/heel.

Regards! M
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Good to know. Thanks!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I can't stress this enough: Alden's are for everyday use! I bought a pair last fall and I've worn them more than anything else I own. I'd say of any Indy gear I've ever purchased, the Alden boots get the most wear. I know they are super expensive. Alden's cost about five times as much as your average boots, but they are also about 5 times as good as your average boots, and will last at least 5 times as long. Any other pair of shoes I've seen at a department store looks and feels like complete crud in comparison.

I got mine on ebay for $350 from someone who bought too big a size and had only worn them to try them on. Check ebay regularly for similar deals.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

WELL stated! :clap:

HIGH regard! Michaelson :M:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Forrest for the trees has the right idea! Check eBay for deals of Alden's in your size. I check it weekly, hoping to find another pair with the cotton lining. The first pair of Alden's I purchased back in 2002 are amazing. They're still going strong and I've only had to re sole them once. I bought a new pair maybe 2 years ago despite the even more expensive price tag and wasn't too impressed with the quality. They're not like the old boots. I should have bought two pairs back in 2002. When i first got them the heels were crooked and off center and just sloppy. I'm surprised they left the shop like that to be honest, but they're holding their own. They certainly take a lot of abuse and are great for long periods of being on your feet.

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

jedigear698 wrote:This is a question for all or any of you who have purchased Indy Boots, or any very close enough versions like the Coyle's Outdoorsman's over at Todds, etc. How well do they stand up to everyday use? Anywhere from "wear to my desk job everyday" to back country hikes. I really want a pair of Indy Boots, and I need to replace my torn up hikers. :-k
jedigear: Check your pm's, I have a couple of pair of Alden's (brown and black) that I am willing to sell. W>
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

jedigear698 wrote:This is a question for all or any of you who have purchased Indy Boots, or any very close enough versions like the Coyle's Outdoorsman's over at Todds, etc. How well do they stand up to everyday use? Anywhere from "wear to my desk job everyday" to back country hikes. I really want a pair of Indy Boots, and I need to replace my torn up hikers. :-k
I have a pair of 405s that my wife bought me for our anniversary this year. I wear them nearly daily (more of an office environment) and they are very comfortable. I would not hesitate to do some light hiking in them, but the soles just aren't appropriate in my opinion for more than that.

We bought them from Alden's in DC, and I'm glad we did. I had to go back for a larger size, then the stitching on the sole was defective so they apologized and replaced them. Customer service was top notch, which should be expected given the cost, but I'm very happy with them.

I've tried some other lookalike boots, and have to say there's no comparison. I wish I would have just pulled the trigger on these first.

Regards,
KZ
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:I can't stress this enough: Alden's are for everyday use! I bought a pair last fall and I've worn them more than anything else I own. I'd say of any Indy gear I've ever purchased, the Alden boots get the most wear. I know they are super expensive. Alden's cost about five times as much as your average boots, but they are also about 5 times as good as your average boots, and will last at least 5 times as long. Any other pair of shoes I've seen at a department store looks and feels like complete crud in comparison.

I got mine on ebay for $350 from someone who bought too big a size and had only worn them to try them on. Check ebay regularly for similar deals.
+1
windycityindy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by windycityindy »

There is a store here in Chicago called "Haberdash" on State St, and another place on the ground level of the John Handcock building that both sell and stock Aldens regularly
TheFedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheFedora »

So I have lately become interested in the topic of an Indy Boot for everyday use as well. Namely due to wanting to replace my regular shoes in my Indy ensemble. However some of the options i have seen are considerably higher priced. Is there a cheap close enough option under 100 dollars?

If not, let me know.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

All of the Close Enough Boots post:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54387
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My day started early. 5am. Laced up my 403s and headed off to a full day of work.
Played kickball and some basketball( just around the world ha ha not that crazy). Boots off at 6:30pm.

Been through the wringer today.

My vote is on Aldens for an everyday use indy boot. :TOH:

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... r0yjc.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Being orthopedic I assume they are good for Plantar Fasciitis? In my ripe old age I get bad flareups of it and it sure irritates me. I could always use another solid piece of footwear that is supportive.

Bamindy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Bamindy »

Just found some nice ones here - posted a new topic, maybe should've just kept it here...! :oops:

http://www.next.co.uk/g41342s5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap and will ship worldwide, free to the US!

Cheers,
Brian
TheFedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheFedora »

Bamindy wrote:Just found some nice ones here - posted a new topic, maybe should've just kept it here...! :oops:

http://www.next.co.uk/g41342s5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap and will ship worldwide, free to the US!

Cheers,
Brian

Hmmm...Will strongly consider this. At about 100 bucks, still need to do some research first though. Also I need to start getting paid again before I can consider this.