My First Wested - Raiders Lamb - Too Short?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My First Wested - Raiders Lamb - Too Short?

Post by giantthugee86 »

I just received my first Wested. It's a custom Raiders Lamb.

The measurements are:

Chest: 38
Sleeve: 24
Back length: 24

The length seems too short and I am considering returning it and getting a jacket with a 26 back length. Is this a good idea or should I stick with this jacket? I'm 5 foot 7 fyi.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Re: My First Wested - Raiders Lamb - Too Short?

Post by Indiego Jones »

Depends on what do you pursuit.
The jacket on Raiders is short. (even shorter than yours)
IMO, that lenght looks great on you.
26" it would be too long on this style.

But it all comes down to your liking.-
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree, I think it looks good where it is. I'm 5'10" and my Indy jackets are 25.5" and 24.5". The longest I've ever owned was 26" and I felt like it was a bit too long on me.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Looks great to me....especially the front shot.... we are about the same size and, after various lengths, my recent acquisitions have been at 24 back... And it feels so put on!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks good to me too! Keep in mind, the Raiders jacket was just that....a jacket, not a coat.

Some of the longer lengths are pushing car coat standards. Yours is actually correct.

Enjoy it!

Regard! Michaelson :M: :tup:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Here's some more pics. Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting to love my new Wested. The length does seem accurate for a Harrison Ford Raiders cut.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Now, just wear it on a regular basis and make it yours, as all leather jackets eventually take on their owners shape and habits of movement.

You think you like it now...just wait.... :M: :tup:

HIGH regard! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I would keep it for sure. Looks good. Personally I think all Raiders jackets are too short but I'm strange! I like my jackets a little longer than SA. Yours looks pretty darn good if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll keep it and break it in. I can always get a Wested Temple of Doom if I want to get a longer jacket down the road. I was also thinking of getting a Wested Skyfall jacket.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I'd loosen up the straps a bit.

Looks like you wear your trousers lowish at the hips. But, I don't think you want the cuffs of your jacket to be too close to the length of the body, bit too much like a suit jacket.

I think you possibly could do with an extra inch on the body just for comfort. I tend to err on the side of slightly longer in the body after having a couple of jackets too short in the past.

Looks good tho, wear it and break it in, in a months time it will have moulded to you.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

At your height, that jacket is looks totally perfect in length. Front comes down just past the belt buckle, back hovers at the top of the back pockets. It should be a smart fit, with the front pockets of your pants still mostly visible.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Kt Templar wrote:I'd loosen up the straps a bit.
Agreed. That's why your action pleats are flared open in the back in your side shot. The straps are there to keep the sides together, not as an adjustment 'tool' to tighten the jacket up to your body. It defeats your action pleats from doing what they're designed to do.

Good call, Kt.

Regard! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Your action pleats are working good! Just judging by your photos I think the fit is perfect. Like Michaelson said, get to wearing it and wear it a lot. Break that puppy in! Ball it up and sit on it at restaurants. Haha. :TOH: :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, they're working, Josh, but they shouldn't be blown open when he's just standing up straight. They should be closed. The cinched tight straps are causing that to happen. ;)

Regards! M
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

giantthugee86 wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll keep it and break it in. I can always get a Wested Temple of Doom if I want to get a longer jacket down the road. I was also thinking of getting a Wested Skyfall jacket.
ha ! funny ! i'm going down the exact same road ! your Raiders jacket is quite snazzy, i should say...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

with age you will notice that the action pleats will loose it's effect and stay open. The natural elasticity of the skin will wear of. But that is what happend to Ford's jacket as well. Notice the pleats on Indy's jacket stays open all the time.

The only way to have the pleats function during it's lifetime is to have 2 elastic bands sewn in them forcing them shut. Dunno know if you ordered it like that. I like the jacket without the bands.

But yeah, loosen the straps. Not ment as a waist adjuster as Mark pointed out! :TOH:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Thanks, guys! I've decided to keep it. I got a US Wings Indy size Medium years ago and it was huge on me, so this Wested is like a breath of fresh air. Any recommendations for distressing it? Just wear it everyday?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just wear it.

Regards! M
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Will do!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Leather shoes or work gloves are the same, stiff and kinda' odd fitting at first, but the more you wear them you become glad that you made the purchase. Its funny how you can use a pair of work gloves so much that it even takes on the creases in your fingers. Just takes time and wear. Just suit up and hitch your whip to a friendly passerby truck.....talk about break-in time...! :shock:
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Looks great! I felt that way too about the length at first when I got my first Indy jacket (Todd's/Coyle's jacket), but I love it! You know, if you change your mind about your Wested, I'd be glad to take it off your hands...we're about the same size too. :D
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Sorry, I'm keeping it haha. I realize now the length is perfect - especially for a Raiders jacket (its not supposed to be long).
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

OP you gonna just have to get use to the shortness of the jacket OR send it back. Ive worn mine pretty much every single day from like Sep till just a week or so ago..AND I still hate how short its cut. Just because its a "jacket" doesnt mean its supposed to be so short. Its not a coat until its about mid butt area "to me anyways"..Its not comfortable having to pull it down all the time when sitting either. I drive a bus and im always pulling at it to at least go down to cover my lower back. If I could have I would have sent mine back. BUT Wested said it would cost too much to send and i would be better off trying to sell..My jacket needs to be a good 3" longer for me to even consider it comfortable.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

youngjedi71 wrote:OP you gonna just have to get use to the shortness of the jacket OR send it back. Ive worn mine pretty much every single day from like Sep till just a week or so ago..AND I still hate how short its cut. Just because its a "jacket" doesnt mean its supposed to be so short. Its not a coat until its about mid butt area "to me anyways"..Its not comfortable having to pull it down all the time when sitting either. I drive a bus and im always pulling at it to at least go down to cover my lower back. If I could have I would have sent mine back. BUT Wested said it would cost too much to send and i would be better off trying to sell..My jacket needs to be a good 3" longer for me to even consider it comfortable.
That is just how the Raiders jacket is cut. I also prefer a longer jacket. Oddly enough i differentiate coat from jacket by weight instead of length. But I'm with you in that I much prefer longer over shorter. Another reason I buy bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The jacket the OP has pictured looks like a good SA fit for the length.

For my Wested jackets, I went one size up from my normal size to have a more loose and longer fit. It is just more comfortable for me and I don't gear up which allows a little more length.

It is really just a personal preference on the length and as long as folks are happy, that is all that matters. ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

There are speculations about different length's on jackets used in Raiders. This discussion has been on going for about 20 years. lol

The Hawaii jacket is the shortest one. Too me at least.

The Raven bar/ Well of souls - Flying wing jacket is the longest one.

I preffer the well of souls. Meaning slightly longer and more drapy.

But both are accurate. I like short as well from time to time..

Yours look great! Enjoy it!
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Holt wrote:There are speculations about different length's on jackets used in Raiders. This discussion has been on going for about 20 years. lol

The Hawaii jacket is the shortest one. Too me at least.

The Raven bar/ Well of souls - Flying wing jacket is the longest one.

I preffer the well of souls. Meaning slightly longer and more drapy.

But both are accurate. I like short as well from time to time..

Yours look great! Enjoy it!
How long was the well of souls jacket? And thanks, I am loving it!
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Finally got to show my new wested off in public:

Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Awesome shot! :tup:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

The length is pretty good actually...