Post by Holt »

Yes, the oldies. 1990 era wested's

Got one? Show it :)
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Show us your vintage wested's!

Post by backstagejack »

I ordered this around '97 '98. I had just recently found Indygear and through that found Wested.
Here she is clown collar and alll. This is an authentic lamb Raider's. From the moment I acquired it, the left handwarmer pocket had stitching loose, but I never sent it back into be repaired. It's been through plenty of adventures as well as some distressing that I did myself.
Since I acquired it at 18, by arms are now way too long for it, but it fits well otherwise.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

This was my very first Indy jacket, Wested Raiders circa 1998, the second authentic piece of gear I acquired (after my first DM bullwhip). Size 40 regular, 21.5 sleeves, 23.5 back panel, with mile-long backwards-facing side straps, incorrect rear-facing shoulder seams, and horribly mis-balanced pockets. Still, it was the end-all be-all Indiana Jones jacket in my 18-year-old mind, and I wore it proudly for many years. In retrospect, the sleeves were too short and the 'taxi leather' lambskin too fragile to endure the real-world adventures that Indy puts it through. The jacket still has the original 100% cotton silesia lining, although I had the inner collar stand replaced by Wested in 2000 for the screen-accurate leather facing. It's been stored in a wooden trunk for over a decade, and the brasswork is turning patina green. The label is missing because I installed it in my novapelle CS after Wested re-lined it in black, and replaced the original classic label with that godawful gaudy glitter logo they use nowadays.

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7647/168 ... b021_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/167 ... 67e5_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7647/162 ... 474f_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8737/162 ... fac1_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7635/166 ... 7553_o.jpg
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

wested Raiders, dark brown lamb, 1998, size 38, new lining

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks for posting these! I absolutley love the old pattern. Especially yours eagle! Such an extremly ''Bantu'' vibe to it!
jinxed
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jinxed »

Wow! That's a great looking jacket. I'm a 38 chest too, what's your height and weight? That looks like a good fit. Looking at Wested's site is sort of daunting with the choices.
eaglecrow wrote:wested Raiders, dark brown lamb, 1998, size 38, new lining

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Personally, I'd love to see some vintage LC jackets here! :D
sliuman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sliuman »

Now, I'm no expert, having gleaned what little I know from this site, but those are all great looking jackets!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Let's just say that they weren't that screen-accurate, despite Wested's handsome COA included with each jacket. We at IndyGear definitely put them on the learning curve to produce the fine Indy jackets offered today.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Mine above was and is my only Indy jacket so far.... I'm desperate to acquire a Hero as soon as I can. I love all the options available out there now, back in the 90s it was very very limited in almost all aspects.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Wested back in the day: http://web.archive.org/web/199812020113 ... ested.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

jinxed wrote:
[/quote]

My 2001 LC looked like this Whip - at one point Peter made three styles from the three films and the only real difference was 1 inch of length for the ToD and a snap and longer collar for the LC.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well, if anyone got a size 42 or 44 and want to let it go, give me a ring. I would love to have one!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

CM wrote:My 2001 LC looked like this Whip - at one point Peter made three styles from the three films and the only real difference was 1 inch of length for the ToD and a snap and longer collar for the LC.
Yeah, I remember. Peter was like: Just add snaps to the Raiders model and - presto! - you have a screen-accurate LC jacket! It's just that easy! :rolling:

We weren't fooled! :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think Peter in his mind didn't think twice about how he made the LC jacket different from the raiders jacket.

I think he genuinely made the LC jacket as he made raiders jacket. No second thought given into it. No raiders pattern was followed. Just another Action jacket with pockets, vents and straps to Ford's personal body specs. I think, him being back in the day wouldn't or couldn't see any difference between them. It was just another leather jacket for Indiana Jones.

That's why I think Peter was so onabout ''just add snaps'' and voila! To him it was a Raiders or Temple for that matter. And basicly they are. And to any normal sane person who isn't a member here still thinks Indiana Jones wears a A2. lol
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I pity those people... :-({|=
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

I posted this in another tread. Since this is a vintage wested thread maybe you'd be interested to see the old wested site viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

See about seven posts up this page...
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Awesome. My bad for the double post
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

eaglecrow wrote:wested Raiders, dark brown lamb, 1998, size 38, new lining

This is why I find the vintage wested so interesting. Apart for the yoke being higher, very Bantu Wind dockside ish jacket.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

thank you holt.

I really love this jacket. Just got a crazy moment but it is not up for sale any more as I am going to keep it as a memory.
I still wear it occasionally and If I don't move much, it looks ok and in some ways even great on me. The problem I have with it is that it never had a proper fit on me. That did not change after I got it back from the tailor so I decided it is time for a new jacket

In reality, the the standard cut which came after this "vintage" one (which simply wasn't good) was suiting me much better in movement and general appearance (spoken by somebody who is not into screen accuracy but into having a good regular jacket).

The cuffs always where a bit too short on me, the shoulders a bit to wide, and the chest is too narrow nowadays (my belly became a little less, chest a bit more.

What I really love about it is the color which I really love on it, in particular the light brown undertones.

Still it never fitted me as good as my predisteressed and my horsehide afterwards.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Does your jacket have the strap configuration going into the pocket as well eagle?

I am still trying figure out why this was done on the vintage jackets?

Personally I like the look of both the strap going into the pocket and the and the anchor strap going under the back panel.

picture borrowed from Jeff

unique!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Glad you're hanging on to it. It really screams Raiders regardless of how SA it is... Totally captures the vibe and you would regret it if you sold it. :TOH:

eaglecrow wrote:thank you holt.

I really love this jacket. Just got a crazy moment but it is not up for sale any more as I am going to keep it as a memory.
I still wear it occasionally and If I don't move much, it looks ok and in some ways even great on me. The problem I have with it is that it never had a proper fit on me. That did not change after I got it back from the tailor so I decided it is time for a new jacket

In reality, the the standard cut which came after this "vintage" one (which simply wasn't good) was suiting me much better in movement and general appearance (spoken by somebody who is not into screen accuracy but into having a good regular jacket).

The cuffs always where a bit too short on me, the shoulders a bit to wide, and the chest is too narrow nowadays (my belly became a little less, chest a bit more.

What I really love about it is the color which I really love on it, in particular the light brown undertones.

Still it never fitted me as good as my predisteressed and my horsehide afterwards.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

@holt: the edge of the strap is meeting with the edge of the pocket, just like in the picture you posted
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hey! My jacket made the 'vintage' thread. :D

This is a Wested circa 2000. Personally I've always preferred the straps being sewn on this way. It lends to a cleaner look for the back panel.

I suppose it's possible the strap isn't as strong sewn this way as opposed to a tab with an X-box stitch, but in nearly 15 years the straps have held up just fine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff