Does anyone ever recognize your jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

jinxed
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jinxed »

I know for certain a Wested Hero is in my future, but I'm curious what you long time owners have experienced in public. Obviously if you have on the full kit, or even just the jacket and fedora people will likely get the Indy connection. But has anyone ever approached you when wearing just the jacket?

Several years ago I made an Aliens Nostromo jacket, and despite it being a rare instance, I love it when someone recognizes it.

I'm sure to "us" the jacket is iconic and we look for it, but any stories of your jackets pulling a fan out of a crowd?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Does anyone ever recognize your jacket?

Post by Michaelson »

After 30 plus years, I can honestly say, 'no', no one has. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Nope!

Get alot of compliments on it tho but never, hey that's an Indy.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

My Todds's very old version was recognized but only after it had a bath in Fullers Earth.... it seemed to really stand out as an Indy jacket.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Ironically, today I walked straight past somebody wearing an Indy and Mark VII. It was at a convention but he wasn't in costume. Just wearing it.

Unfortunately it was pretty crowded and I lost him before I could say hi.
jinxed
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jinxed »

That would not surprise me. Your jackets and pictures have been my main inspiration in getting one myself. The Raiders jacket in my memory and what you photograph are one in the same. Excellent stuff sir!
Gorak wrote:My Todds's very old version was recognized but only after it had a bath in Fullers Earth.... it seemed to really stand out as an Indy jacket.
jinxed
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jinxed »

The first time someone noticed my Nostromo jacket was at a convention. Someone grabbed my arm and spun me around saying "YES...ALIENS!" My eyes bugged out when the girl who spun me was in full Pris costume. I'm a little silly for BladeRunner too. We chatted for about an hour on all sorts of movie geekery. Movie fans are the best.
Leigh wrote:Ironically, today I walked straight past somebody wearing an Indy and Mark VII. It was at a convention but he wasn't in costume. Just wearing it.

Unfortunately it was pretty crowded and I lost him before I could say hi.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Weirdly enough, I've only had one person (that didn't know about my jackets) tell me that my jacket looked like "an Indiana Jones jacket." And that was a couple of years ago.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Not so far...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Even though I've not experienced it myself, as I stated above, I think it's an 'ebb and flow' situation. The closer we are to a film being in theaters, the more folks make the connection.

Once that newness wears off, folks forget and the connection is no longer made.

The hat, on the other hand, can STILL attract comments, though. :lol:

Regards! M
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yes. I have had several comments aboutxmy hat, even one lady who said I was wearing an Indiana Jones hat! Next time I am going to do the old "who?" response!
trancoss
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by trancoss »

Never happened to me. I do get compliments every now and then, but that's all
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

I also once had somebody come up to me asking if I was wearing a 'rolla'. Took me a while of conversation to figure out he meant 'ROLA', the abbreviation used on Wested's site for Raiders jackets. Turned out he was planning to order one. We chatted for a while.

This was about seven years ago and I was wearing my horsehide jacket, which was still pretty new. Apparently he distressed leather for movies so was talking about how much he wanted to distress any new jacket he saw.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Never had a single comment on any of my Indy jackets. The fedora is what people recognize if anything. I sometimes wear the fedora without a jacket or a non-Indy jacket. I also will wear a different felt hat with the Indy jacket. The other times, I wear both when the mood strikes me. ;)

I am currently working in Germany for the US and am not sure if the local folks really connect the jacket and hat together as anything movie related.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I don't think anyone ever has but I did once tell someone my Wested was an Indy and they said something like - "not very accurate where are the knits?" ](*,)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Exactly, along with 'wasn't his hat made of leather too?' :-k

:lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Jacket, no.

I get comments for fedoras, Indy or otherwise.

Nearly any leather jacket/fedora combo, I get Indy comments about 50% of the time.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I honestly don't know if it's an 'age thing' or not, as though I used to get the occasional Indy or 'cowboy' remark years ago when wearing the hat/jacket combination (and as I said, more often with just the hat), I haven't heard anything what so ever in the past 10 years or so.

I guess they figure after your hair starts showing grey, you could care less what anyone things about what you're wearing :-k .....and come to think of it, I think they're right. :lol:

Regard! M
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

CM wrote:I don't think anyone ever has but I did once tell someone my Wested was an Indy and they said something like - "not very accurate where are the knits?" ](*,)
ouch!!! :rolling:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

That is true. At 52 - I don't think anyone really cares. Them or me. :lol:
Last edited by Glenville86 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:I honestly don't know if it's an 'age thing' or not, as though I used to get the occasional Indy or 'cowboy' remark years ago when wearing the hat/jacket combination (and as I said, more often with just the hat), I haven't heard anything what so ever in the past 10 years or so.

I guess they figure after your hair starts showing grey, you could care less what anyone things about what you're wearing :-k .....and come to think of it, I think they're right. :lol:

Regard! M
When I lived in MD sometimes you get a comment one way or the other. In Colorado we have some STRANGE folks walking about. In my fedora I am the last thing the folks in town look at when some of the mountain folks come into town! Every once and a while you'll see someone in a full presumably homemade buckskin outfit walking down the street with a monster beard. They look like they stepped out of Doc Brown's DeLorean. Compared to them even I can look semi normal. Not to mention people here just don't interfere with the affairs of others. It is nice to be able to wear anything and not hear comments. When I lived in MD someone called me a psycho because I had a Buck Knives Co shirt on! Sometimes I'd get Indy comments but not too much.

As far as the jacket, I don't recall anyone other than close friends or family asking if it was an Indy and surely they don't count as they know full well what my favorite movie is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Yes on the fedora, but no on the jacket (Todd's) so far.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

It's actually not that weird that people don't recognize the jacket as the jacket ain't the most famous part of his costume. The majority of people think Indy wears an A2 and I bet non of the A2 jacket owners ever get to hear: Hey do you wear Indy's jacket? Nah.. Don't think so..

Indy is famous for his unique hat and whip. If you walked around with the hat and whip in a members only jacket you could get instant recognized as Indy. Not so much with the Indy jacket alone. Nobody really knows what it looked like or let alone know what wested, cooper, tony nowak is..

Heck I was meeting up with a guy not long ago who turned out be a part of this community and actually owned the whole costume himself, hat, whip and wested jacket.. did he recognize my wested? Nope!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not so sure about that either, Eric.

Like I said, a lot of folks think his hat is leather. :lol:

Regards! M
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

members only jacket with leather hat. Instant Indy! lol
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

That look has worked for me for years! \:D/

Oh, and you forgot the feather.

:[

Regards! M
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:lol:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Michaelson wrote:The hat, on the other hand, can STILL attract comments.
YES! I too have found this to be true. Most people today (sadly) do not realize Indy's hat, while certainly iconic in its profile, is still essentially a kind of hat many men wore during that period, and they simply call it the Indiana Jones hat. I've even had that remark whilst wearing an Australian "man form Snowy River" type hat... Basically most people have a very low degree of education when it comes to these things.
Cheers!

F.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've never had anyone recognize the jacket. I've receive numerous compliments on it. Of course with the hat it's another matter.

Once while wearing a black t shirt underneath, I was told I looked like a WWII OSS Officer.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Glenville86 wrote:That is true. At 52 - I don't think anyone really cares. Them or me. :lol:
That's the spirit!!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Canuck Digger wrote:
Michaelson wrote:The hat, on the other hand, can STILL attract comments.
YES! I too have found this to be true. Most people today (sadly) do not realize Indy's hat, while certainly iconic in its profile, is still essentially a kind of hat many men wore during that period, and they simply call it the Indiana Jones hat. I've even had that remark whilst wearing an Australian "man form Snowy River" type hat... Basically most people have a very low degree of education when it comes to these things.
Cheers!

F.
True, my Snowy River Akubra attracts Indy comments as well.... as does my Grey Fed.

Really, any fedora tends to attract those comments... that or cowboy comments.

But the Jacket.... nah, usually nothing but compliments.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Im still shocked yall get comments from strangers aside from "nice _____". I don't get much of anything. Of course sometimes I look like some sort of mountain recluse because I tend to mix the fedora with whatever camo I happen to be wearing, a large revolver, and 5 months of not shaving. :) Nobody wants to interfere with me I suppose. But I swear, I am a really approachable fellow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Today was strange indeed. I was walking to work on the Army Base in Germany wearing a Wested horse jacket and my Northwest moss green fedora. A young Sergeant asked me if my jacket was a Wested and also asked about my hat. Turns out the kid has a Henry fedora he has worn for a few years and is now looking at jackets. We talked for a few minutes until he had to report for work. Think I might have imparted more info that he could remember. ;)
tattoohanz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tattoohanz »

Glenville86 wrote:Today was strange indeed. I was walking to work on the Army Base in Germany wearing a Wested horse jacket and my Northwest moss green fedora. A young Sergeant asked me if my jacket was a Wested and also asked about my hat. Turns out the kid has a Henry fedora he has worn for a few years and is now looking at jackets. We talked for a few minutes until he had to report for work. Think I might have imparted more info that he could remember. ;)
Hey Glen,can you show me your horsehide jacket,i'm interested to see how it looks like:)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glen, would you mind doing it via PM so we don't derail this topic? Thanks! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I actually had someone comment on mine once about it "looking like the one Indiana Jones wears". When I explained it was, indeed, a replica, I was informed it wasn't accurate because it didn't have cuffs on the sleeve or chest pockets for storing gear.

I didn't dare get drawn into that debate.

Kinda like Michaelson pointed out about people thinking the hat is leather....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :M: :tup:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Indy jacket's have never had any interest from anyone, my Wolverine jackets get comments all the time though!
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Zoltar wrote:Indy jacket's have never had any interest from anyone, my Wolverine jackets get comments all the time though!
IMO, It's because the Indy jacket, while one of my favorite movie jackets, is not nearly as interesting as the wolverine jackets. :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's the "go faster stripes"... :)
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Kt Templar wrote:It's the "go faster stripes"... :)
Quote for truth! :H:
kevdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by kevdog »

Several years back, I had a random person comment on my Wested. He asked if it was a Wested, I replied, "yes," and he mentioned he had left his in the car. What a shame. He should have been wearing it too. As I recall, it was a brisk autumn night in Pasadena...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

shade88 wrote:
Zoltar wrote:Indy jacket's have never had any interest from anyone, my Wolverine jackets get comments all the time though!
IMO, It's because the Indy jacket, while one of my favorite movie jackets, is not nearly as interesting as the wolverine jackets. :TOH:
:o I'm no fan of the Wolverine movies and to me the W jacket/s are pretty dull cafe racers with seventies overtones. The Indy jacket is a far more complex (interesting) pattern. :CR:
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Only in Disneyland.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

jinxed wrote:I know for certain a Wested Hero is in my future, but I'm curious what you long time owners have experienced in public. Obviously if you have on the full kit, or even just the jacket and fedora people will likely get the Indy connection. But has anyone ever approached you when wearing just the jacket?

Several years ago I made an Aliens Nostromo jacket, and despite it being a rare instance, I love it when someone recognizes it.

I'm sure to "us" the jacket is iconic and we look for it, but any stories of your jackets pulling a fan out of a crowd?
This is why I've been thinking of having INDIANA JONES embroidered on the back of my horsehide Bill Kelso jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They'll stop you and say, 'that ain't right! He wore a CLOTH jacket and leather hat!' [-(

:Plymouth:
OweYouAGin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OweYouAGin »

I have spotted 2 Wested Jackets "in the wild" - I should be taken with a huge grain of salt as I live in Florida and both times It was a fellow fan who was at the Disney World parks - One at Animal Kingdom and One fellow who was at the stunt show itself ( happy to see him , but cant say I was surprised)
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

I just moved to Tampa and I couldn't imagine wearing my jacket to WDW because of the heat and humidity. Although it is May... Maybe winters are a bit more jacket friendly but I don't think it gets really cold enough for my goatskin expedition.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

JohnnyD97 wrote:I just moved to Tampa and I couldn't imagine wearing my jacket to WDW because of the heat and humidity. Although it is May... Maybe winters are a bit more jacket friendly but I don't think it gets really cold enough for my goatskin expedition.
I wore mine in October for the Not So Scary Halloween Party. We did two nights. I sweat so bad I was guzzling water. Doesnt help that I am overweight but WOW was I dying. The indoor rides were my only relief because the AC was cranked up.