Indy Gun Maker going for gold!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

So I'm pretty sure I've never posted in here, but I thought this was a very interesting story about one of my local
gun makers... (AND there is a very slim connection to Indy-verse... ;) )

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cajunkraut

Re: Indy Gun Maker going for gold!

Post by Cajunkraut »

While lots of us would LOVE to see an American gun maker with the joint service pistol contract again, my observations of S&W semi-autos on the range (not to mention regular recalls) don't gimme a whole lot of confidence in Smith overtaking the premier foreign manufacturers.

We can always hope, though. :)
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Interesting. I think last time they had trials the runner up was the P226. I don't see the M&P series as even being a contender. Personally I think the 226 is superior to the M9 in several ways. Owning both, the 226 is my go to. It will be interesting to see what happens for sure!

The article lost me at "clip loaded handguns". DOH!

Scrap it all and issue the 1917 again I say! Actually I'll one up that go LC. Issue the Colt SAA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I remember years ago there were articles about finding a replacement to the M9, but in the end the Army didn't change.

If S&W is the third largest gun maker in the US, who is 1 and 2? Not being a gun guy, S&W is the only American brand I think of and assumed they were the largest.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

First, I don't put a lot of stock in a media outlet that, despite volumes of open-source information, continues to incorrectly call a pistol's ammunition magazine a "clip." Sorry Globe, there's no excuse, especially when vying for credibility regarding the often polarized topic of firearms. (Mentioned this before I saw that Chris edited his post to point out the "clip" inaccuracy. I wish I could edit without the telltale edit message... :P )

Second, there's a reason that the Smith & Wesson M&P series isn't considered a commonly-issued duty pistol, and that Sig Sauer, Glock, and Heckler & Koch are.

Jeff, Ruger and Remington are #1 and 2.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Unfortunately, I must agree with the said lack trust of in todays media outlets...

I'm probably one of the few, who still gets an actual morning paper delivered.
While reading during breakfast every morning, I often find my scratching my head over
"details" in stories..

Oh well, at least the comics are still good for a laugh before work...

I have a bunch of friends who are either current, or ex-military and/or police.
Sig's & Glock's seem o be the weapon of choice with most.

Sig has a training facility up in southern New Hampshire that I'd love to go to sometime. ($$$)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Dalexs wrote:Unfortunately, I must agree with the said lack trust of in todays media outlets...

I'm probably one of the few, who still gets an actual morning paper delivered.
While reading during breakfast every morning, I often find my scratching my head over
"details" in stories..

Oh well, at least the comics are still good for a laugh before work...

I have a bunch of friends who are either current, or ex-military and/or police.
Sig's & Glock's seem o be the weapon of choice with most.

Sig has a training facility up in southern New Hampshire that I'd love to go to sometime. ($$$)
Back East my department issued Sigs but recently switched to FN....mistake IMHO. I would LOVE to tour the Sig factory one day. I am an unashamed Sig fanboy. However like the Aussie singer Steve Lee says..."i dont care if they're big or small, if they're for sale i want em all"! If it goes bang I want it. I am however, ashamed I still don't have a 1917. It keeps me up at night.

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I remember years ago there were articles about finding a replacement to the M9, but in the end the Army didn't change.

If S&W is the third largest gun maker in the US, who is 1 and 2? Not being a gun guy, S&W is the only American brand I think of and assumed they were the largest.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
1. Sturm, Ruger & Co.

2. Remington
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:If it goes bang I want it. I am however, ashamed I still don't have a 1917. It keeps me up at night.
I found that fulfilling a specific "list" was the way to maintain my sanity and eventually achieve a sense of completion, kinda like with this hobby.

Lots of folks' first priority is the stuff most affected by unpredictable political winds to prevent getting price-gouged later, if nothing else. Just look at what's happened to Russian sporting arms lately. For those unfamiliar with the hobby, legislation does not make "unpopular" firearms disappear. It simply raises the price. :BD:

It's a sickness. :-0 :D
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

My list is to completely fill at least 20 safes. :) "this is an obsession Dad, I never understood it".

But my next priority needs to be a nice Indy handgun to compliment my Hi Power. Not really a Webley guy especially because of how pricey they are.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've pretty much leveled out on my gun collecting over the years.

I used to be an FFL dealer, but gave up my license back in the 80's.

Someday I still want to get either a large frame Smith, or a shootable large frame Webley again.

I had to sell off the ones I used to have back in the 90's and never replaced them.

I acquired some large frame Ruger's over the years, but never replaced the Smith or Webley. Either one would work fine for me.

Someday. :|

Regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Michaelson, didn't you once famously say: "The author who first put a Webley in Indy's holster should be beaten with one." ? :lol: And now you're looking to acquire another one! :-s

P.S.- The Webley speedloader arrived today. It's nice to have 6 more shells, but it doesn't crimp them in place, so if the loader tips over, the bullets fall out, which is essentially useless. :?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

whipwarrior wrote:Michaelson, didn't you once famously say: "The author who first put a Webley in Indy's holster should be beaten with one." ? :lol:
Sage words indeed.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:I've pretty much leveled out on my gun collecting over the years.

I used to be an FFL dealer, but gave up my license back in the 80's.

Someday I still want to get either a large frame Smith, or a shootable large frame Webley again.

I had to sell off the ones I used to have back in the 90's and never replaced them.

I acquired some large frame Ruger's over the years, but never replaced the Smith or Webley. Either one would work fine for me.

Someday. :|

Regards! Michaelson

I got you covered M! Not a Smith but still a great deal!!! Looks like an 1858 Remington conversion. They even have the Johnny Reb edition for you so you are TN correct!

Only $18.99!!!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

LOL! If it doesn't go bang and make a big hole somewhere down range, I ain't interested. :lol: ;)

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:LOL! If it doesn't go bang and make a big hole somewhere down range, I ain't interested. :lol: ;)

Regards! M

It is all in the imagination. Haven't you seen Hook?! ;)

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, and he carries a sword and hates clocks/watches, so what does HE know? [-( ;)

Regard! M