Webley to produce NEW MK-VI!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I was just outside enjoying some quality target practice with my MK-VI CO2 gun and stopped for a break. I logged onto the Webley site to check out the latest news, and I was astonished to discover this: http://webleymkvi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Webley will begin producing the real MK-VI if they gather 1,000 signatures with $100 deposits!

How cool would it be to own a BRAND NEW 100th anniversary Webley?! :D
MattS
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Webley to produce NEW MK-VI!

Post by MattS »

Any idea of a ballpark price?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The website doesn't say, and I have no idea. Perhaps our resident gun guru Michaelson could supply an estimate, based on gun prices.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wish I could, but I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the current gun market. I've been involved with pocket watches for a while.

I'm surprised Webley is even contemplating doing this, since they've technically been out of the live ammo gun market for years. :-k

Regards! M
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

If the bird's head grip model was "the one," I'm not sure why people still get excited about these... :-k
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Because it's a classic firearm with a storied history, and gun enthusiasts admire the retro Art Nouveau lines of the Webley. And, aside from the different grip style, it's basically the same exact gun.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Appreciating the pistol for its history and classic style is easy.

As an Indy gun, I guess it just depends how "exact" one wants to get. It's sorta the equivalent of those who throw the standard 5.5 inch barreled 1917 in the mix. :)

Gunbroker currently has two examples of the Mark VI at $795.00 and $880.00 in Buy Now auctions. The price of the new production model should come in a bit lower than a collector-priced original. Then again, Webley is positioning the reissue as a limited run collector's piece as well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd surmise it will be higher as they're use new metalurgy in the frame, allowing it to use higher pressure rounds. That always seems to be the norm on "new" reissues of these classic firearms. That's been Smith and Wesson's practice.

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:I'd surmise it will be higher as they're use new metalurgy in the frame, allowing it to use higher pressure rounds. That always seems to be the norm on "new" reissues of these classic firearms. That's been Smith and Wesson's practice.

Regards! M
Agreed. As well as Ruger with their modernized version of the classic SAA. If the price is good I'd be glad to grab one. I'll just add it to the wish list. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I'd surmise it will be higher as they're use new metalurgy in the frame, allowing it to use higher pressure rounds. That always seems to be the norm on "new" reissues of these classic firearms. That's been Smith and Wesson's practice.

Regards! M
Agreed. As well as Ruger with their modernized version of the classic SAA. If the price is good I'd be glad to grab one. I'll just add it to the wish list. :)
The metallurgy part I get. Keep in mind that S&W is always eager to uh..."adjust" its prices for inflation too. :P

Chris, please show me a modernized SAA that's less expensive than the collector value of its historic original counterpart! :D
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

Regards! M
The metallurgy part I get.

Chris, please show me a modernized SAA that's less expensive than the collector value of its historic original counterpart! :D
Not sure what you are getting at. Ive never seen a Gen 1, 2, or 3 Colt SAA that is as cheap as a repro and I never will. Apples and oranges! What I was agreeing with, was the modern metallurgy allowing a hefty increase in load pressure. For instance in gen 1 Colt SAA's you don't want to shoot smokeless powder unless you don't value your gun and your fingers. Whereas the "modernized" Ruger New Vaqueros and the like allow for SUPER hot loads hence the frequently seen label of "Ruger Only". But now we are pretty off track.

Back to Webley! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

There's just so much extra pressure a top break revolver can take, but a new revolver made with 21st century steel WILL take a higher pressure load/reload, and the subsequent cost of that upgrade usually surpasses those prices of the collector model.

Colt, on the other hand, is a COMPLETELY different plain of collecting, though.

As to Smith's, you'll find the reintroduced versions of the HE are usually more expensive than an original HE from the '30's.

It all depends on the company and the collector market it's trying to address.

Webley's are going to fly out the door for British military collector. For the U.S. market, probably not so much. I personally knew WW2 vets who told me about tossing Webley's overboard into NY Harbor when they got back from Europe and were told they would only be allowed to bring back one war trophy firearm. Most had either a Luger or P38 and a Webley in their duffle. The Webley got tossed into the ocean.

It would probably break our hearts if we knew how many are at the bottom of those harbors.

Point? Webley's aren't that prized over here, so it's all in who they're trying to sell them to and how badly those collectors want them that will also drive the final price.

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:There's just so much extra pressure a top break revolver can take, but a new revolver made with 21st century steel WILL take a higher pressure load/reload, and the subsequent cost of that upgrade usually surpasses those prices of the collector model.

Colt, on the other hand, is a COMPLETELY different plain of collecting, though.

As to Smith's, you'll find the reintroduced versions of the HE are usually more expensive than an original HE from the '30's.

Webley's are going to fly out the door for British military collector. For the U.S. market, probably not so much. I personally knew WW2 vets who told me about tossing Webley's overboard into NY Harbor when they got back from Europe and were told they would only be allowed to bring back one war trophy firearm. Most had either a Luger or P38 and a Webley in their duffle. The Webley got tossed into the ocean.

It would probably break our hearts if we knew how many are at the bottom of those harbors.

Point? Webley's aren't that prized over here, so it's all in who they're trying to sell them to and how badly those collectors want them that will also drive the final price.

Regards! M
Wanna really start crying? My grandfather was in the 3rd Marine Division 1942-1945. After he got off Iwo, he told me he was quite a hoarder. He had acquired quite the amount of treasure. You name it, he said he/they had it. Halfway back to Pearl after the war they were all ordered on deck and told to strip and dump EVERYTHING overboard for fear of disease from the islands. He said ALL of it was dumped except his 1911. Sure enough he told me some years after he moved in with us about the 1911. When I inquired to it's whereabouts he told me my Aunt found it and THREW IT IN THE TRASH. She admitted to it when I asked about it. Words cannot describe my horror about this.

Anywho..I think you have it dead to rights M. It is definitely a niche pistol for collectors. I would love one. As far as top breaks, Uberti offers a very nice Schoffield reproduction but for a pistol that I only kinda want, the price tag is a tad steep too.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I know the Schoffield model of which you speak, and note, there are no high power/pressure calibers available for that model either. .38 or .45 Long Colt only. Beautiful revolver. [-o<

Hopefully when this .455 Webley comes out, hand loaders won't get crazy and blow up a few guns in the process.

Threw away a 1911. :-0

Sigh.

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:I know the Schoffield model of which you speak, and note, there are no high power/pressure calibers available for that model either. .38 or .45 Long Colt only. Beautiful revolver. [-o<

Hopefully when this .455 Webley comes out, hand loaders won't get crazy and blow up a few guns in the process.

Threw away a 1911. :-0

Sigh.

Regards! M
Yea it is a beaut. In italian clones I traditionally stick to to low pressure or "cowboy" loads unless the manuf states otherwise. I can't wait to hear more about this Webley. It got my attention for sure. And another good point on the reloads. As a handloader, I am always shaking my head when I hear those stories.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Michaelson wrote:As to Smith's, you'll find the reintroduced versions of the HE are usually more expensive than an original HE from the '30's.

Well, if Webley re-engineers the thing with a transfer bar system :-0 and internal lock :-0 like Smith does to reissues like the HE, Webley's will easily cost more as well.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

In that case, I'll just stick with the C02 version.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
Michaelson wrote:As to Smith's, you'll find the reintroduced versions of the HE are usually more expensive than an original HE from the '30's.

Well, if Webley re-engineers the thing with a transfer bar system :-0 and internal lock :-0 like Smith does to reissues like the HE, Webley's will easily cost more as well.
Gross. Some things are best left un-messed with. To name a few:

Classic cars
Classic guns
Bacon
Michaelson

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

ChrisMD wrote:Some things are best left un-messed with. To name a few:

Classic cars
Classic guns
Bacon
Michaelson
You forgot to add 'Classic movies' (namely, Star Wars)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Some things are best left un-messed with. To name a few:

Classic cars
Classic guns
Bacon
Michaelson
You forgot to add 'Classic movies' (namely, Star Wars)
GOOD SAVE!

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Shoot...no pun intended, I have one of the originals, 1927 model up for sale, if anyone is interested.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I wonder if those full moon clips would work with the new Webley brass shells? :-k

UPDATE: Check THIS out! They make a speed loader with extra brass! I just ordered mine! :D

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Webley_MK ... oader/5551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;