The Last Crusade jacket repro. thread...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

whipwarrior

Re: The Last Crusade jacket repro. thread...

Post by whipwarrior »

Don't be fooled. He totally stole it from the Lucasfilm archives at Skywalker Ranch. ;)
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

That jacket is amazing! It really does look spot on!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that jacket could get me back in the game. Wested should make those specs standard...
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That is a great looking jacket and the LC is my least favorite of the trilogy. But that one, that one looks great!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Thanks guys! Just don't tell GL about the jacket and maybe he won't notice it's gone :[
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I think you're safe. He's too busy rolling in Star Wars money to care. "Jacket? ... Indiana who? Ah, whatever. I don't care."
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:I think you're safe. He's too busy rolling in Star Wars money to care. "Jacket? ... Indiana who? Ah, whatever. I don't care."
Hopefully he's not busy reediting LC so he can add Jar Jar... ;)

Knibs, killer jacket!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Shh! Don't give him anymore ideas! :Dietrich:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

ChrisMD wrote:
whipwarrior wrote:I think you're safe. He's too busy rolling in Star Wars money to care. "Jacket? ... Indiana who? Ah, whatever. I don't care."
Hopefully he's not busy reediting LC so he can add Jar Jar... ;)

Knibs, killer jacket!!!

Thanks, Chris!
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Yes,absolutely the most screen accurate Crusade jacket i ever seen with the KT Templar crusade 's jacket too..and a great work of distressing to match the worn look of Harrison 's jacket. :TOH:
last
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by last »

Knibs, between this one and your new TOD jacket, i think you might have 2 of the best looking Indy jackets i've seen. i couldn't tell you how many i've looked at here--probably all of them. haha if i could get one that looked close to as good as those and was a great fit on me, i'd be stoked.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

last wrote:Knibs, between this one and your new TOD jacket, i think you might have 2 of the best looking Indy jackets i've seen. i couldn't tell you how many i've looked at here--probably all of them. haha if i could get one that looked close to as good as those and was a great fit on me, i'd be stoked.
You can get one.
Just send me an e-mail: pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar

Cheers.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

last, provide real measurements from tape, torso, arms, etc. That's the answer.
last
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by last »

your work really is amazing, Indiego. I'm more than impressed. you've definitely got me rethinking a Wested.

thanks, Texan. trust me, I know and plan to.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I am anxiously awaiting my LC jacket from Steele and Jones and Diego was really great to work with thru e-mail; he asked and required several measurements, sent me photos of the leather...etc just all around great.

So Diego....how is the LC jacket coming along...I can't wait....it's still kinda cold here in Texas so I am hoping to get a little wear out of it this season.

Can wait. I will post pics here obviously! :D
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote:I am anxiously awaiting my LC jacket from Steele and Jones and Diego was really great to work with thru e-mail; he asked and required several measurements, sent me photos of the leather...etc just all around great.

So Diego....how is the LC jacket coming along...I can't wait....it's still kinda cold here in Texas so I am hoping to get a little wear out of it this season.

Can wait. I will post pics here obviously! :D
"I'm working on it, I'm working on it!" ;)
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Just received my Wested "Copper Novapelle" LC jacket today, which was purchased from the clearance section. Saved about $100 Australian, so no complaints here, lol

Chest: 44"
Sleeve: 26"
Back: 27"

Sleeves are a fraction too long, but they should pull up after it gets some wear.

It looks short in the above, but it's probably the low jeans:

And not sure if this is normal under the sleeves:

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Outstanding deal! How do you like it? I have a copper NP too. Its great cowhide!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Novapelle is awesome. My absolute favorite hide! Wear it well and ENJOY! :TOH:
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

clark.j.kent wrote:Just received my Wested "Copper Novapelle" LC jacket today, which was purchased from the clearance section. Saved about $100 Australian, so no complaints here, lol

Chest: 44"
Sleeve: 26"
Back: 27"

Sleeves are a fraction too long, but they should pull up after it gets some wear.

It looks short in the above, but it's probably the low jeans:

And not sure if this is normal under the sleeves:

It is normal, for a Wested jacket. I'm a broken record when it comes to armhole sizes, but this is a good example of why it's important to get it right.
Do you feel you have a good range of movement when it's zipped? It doesn't look like you would. Wear it unzipped, and it's much less of a problem, but a good jacket
shouldn't and doesn't have to have that limitation. The sleeves look a perfect length btw.
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Thanks guys! Well it is a clearance jacket after all, so I'm technically getting someone else's sizes. I mostly wear my jackets unzipped anyway, so it's not too much of a problem.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Here's Zoltar's custom-spec Wested LC that I bought last summer. It's pre-distressed cowhide, hand-aged by Zoltar, with a new black cotton lining installed by Wested. The back sleeve seams are double-stitched, but I can live with that. The camera flash makes the leather appear lighter than it is in real life. In-person, it looks much closer to the screen-used LC jacket.

Hi-res: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/139 ... 858c_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/139 ... 5ac9_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/139 ... 112f_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/139 ... b4c9_o.jpg
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Hi All,

I've been reading through this thread and every other thread on the Last Crusade jackets and there is a TON of information. So much so that I'm a bit overwhelmed. I currently own a Coyle's Raiders jacket, and its just never really done it for me. I always have preferred the look of the LC jacket, from its weight, fit and mostly the distressed appearance. I also have an Adventurebilt KotCS Fedora that matches the last crusade look better.

SO, I would like to sell my jacket and order a new Wested, Last Crusade jacket. It sounds like the model they offer off the shelf is not well regarded, so how would I go about ordering myself a jacket with the "best" specs? :-k I say best because there seems to be difference in opinion between Screen Accuracy and comfort. Im more concerned about SA, but I do also intend to wear this jacket a lot.

As for the type of leather. Sounds like "Authentic Lamb" is the best choice for what was used in the film, and for that lighter brown distressed look. Am I right?

I quoted Knibs7's jacket because I just love it! Thats exactly the look I want.

I would be grateful for any wisdom that could be passed on.

Thank you gentlemen! :TOH:

knibs7 wrote:Here's my LC. After 3 previous jackets, I finally got the jacket I see in the movie

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

1BAT4U wrote:I quoted Knibs7's jacket because I just love it! Thats exactly the look I want.
Well, I hear there's a really nice one in Texas! So, that may be a good place to start! :lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Just when I thought my custom LC jacket couldn't get any closer to perfection... it does!

Hi-res: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8728/167 ... 7cc5_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/169 ... 9b19_o.jpg

Beholding the utter screen-accurate perfection of knibs' LC jacket (seen in above post), I asked him if he could give my Wested custom the same treatment, and he kindly agreed. So I sent my jacket to Texas (the greatest state in the world!), and knibs worked unparalleled wonders in the art of leather alchemy to produce the EXACT Indiana Jones jacket I've longed for since I saw Indy galloping after that dusty German tank on the theater screen in 1989; literally as close as it gets to THE jacket that Harrison Ford wore in the movie!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

As I told knibs before, there are not words of praise exalted enough to convey my appreciation for his incredible work. This is the Indy jacket I've always dreamed of, and he made it possible! For those interested in giving their LC jackets the ultimate screen-accurate look, knibs has expressed interest in offering his services. Just PM the jacket guru himself to set up an appointment! You will NOT be disappointed! :TOH:

Whippin' it LC style!

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7598/167 ... d75b_o.jpg

And here's the gear breakdown for those taking notes:

Herbert Johnson Poet (Swales-made)
Wested ultra-custom predistressed cowhide LC (Zoltar specs)
M.B.A. Raiders shirt customized with vintage WW2 British army buttons, per LC
Magnoli LC pants (M.B.A. original pattern) made of Arthur Harrison tan cavalry twill
Alden 405 natural chromexcel boots
David Morgan #453 bullwhip w/ MIJ bridle leather fall
Whiteley's unissued MK-VII bag w/ MIJ custom predistressed LC strap
Wested webbed belt w/ Noel Howard buckle
MIJ custom LC gunbelt w/ Noel Howard buckle
MIJ custom LC Webley holster
MIJ custom Raiders/LC hybrid whip carrier
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yes, yes, yes! :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

And yes yes yes yes yesh! "Junior, you DID it!" :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:lol:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

:rolling:

Eh... I hate ties. Can't stand 'em. But it looks good on Indy, though! :TOH:
Last edited by whipwarrior on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Dale, it looks AMAZING on you! :shock: SO glad you're happy with it!! Thanks so much for letting me put my skills to good use. :TOH:

Kyle
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thank YOU, sir! Wested made the jacket, but you gave it character! Now it is truly an Indiana Jones jacket! :TOH:
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Looks great! :TOH: knibs7, may I ask what techniques you used to get this look?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

He draped the jacket over the side turret of a vintage WW1 tank and drove it against a rock wall. Presto - instant LC style! :lol:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

whipwarrior wrote:He draped the jacket over the side turret of a vintage WW1 tank and drove it against a rock wall. Presto - instant LC style! :lol:
Exactly!
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

That is a jacket to be proud of :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Allthough I like the distressing as stated above. However, personally I loose the joy of wearing a jacket if it's over the top distressed. Kinda feel like I'm not wearing my jacket anymore and wondering where I will leave my mark on the jacket. Know what mean? To me it becomes more an item and not a jacket. That's why I didn't go overboard with mine.

And put some pecards on the jacket to darken it alittle It's alittle too light for being LC. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Holt wrote:
And put some pecards on the jacket to darken it alittle It's alittle too light for being LC. :TOH:
Agreed. Too light for a LC. I hope it is something a coat of Pecard's can fix. Distressing projects are fun. My most "daring" was a reproduction GI 1911 that I had parkerized and then "aged" it for reenacting. Some pics of it in the guns section if anyone is so inclined.

Nice Wested, my first one should be in the mail pretty soon. Can't wait to get it.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Had a crazy idea today. I wonder if I can send this jacket back to Wested and have them clone it in dark brown novapelle? I really like that hide... :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

80 bucks for shipping to and fro, why not just provide the specs?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Providing specs is like rolling dice; they don't always turn up in your favor. I've been down that road more than a few times, and it always ends with me unwrapping the Wested package, holding my breath with cautious optimism, hoping that, at the very least, most of my specs were achieved. I'd rather put the jacket in front of the tailor and remove all doubt, postage be d@mned. Then there's absolutely no way to mess it up.

Rebecca replied to my inquiry saying that they can indeed copy the jacket, but with the caveat that the current stock of novapelle is much thicker than it was back in the day (even heavier than pre-distressed, she said), which would yield a heavier jacket than I'm accustomed to. I spent a few minutes last night browsing Wested's leather selection page and marveling at how many choices are available these days than just: (a) standard lamb or (b) cowhide, as offered in the late 1990's. I love the buttery soft drape of my comfy old lightweight CS novapelle, and there is absolutely no way that I'm going with a flimsy lambskin jacket ever again (my last one ripped). Horse & cowhide are durable but way too thick and heavy for these latitudes, even in winter. So now I'm stuck with gambling on novapelle again or trying a brand new hide that I've never experienced before and hoping that it provides the desired blend of durability, comfort, and weight. :?
Last edited by whipwarrior on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

I got my Raiders in Novapelle last month and it's got a great weight to it. It is a little heavier than a Lamb, but nothing overbearing.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I keep looking at pics and screenshots, wracking my brain over leather types... when did novapelle become thicker than cowhide? Argh! Why is this happening? ](*,)

Ah, screw it. There's no such thing as THE Indiana Jones jacket. My old novapelle is perfect, well-traveled, comfortable, and fits me like a second skin. If I keep at this, I'll be scratching an itch that can never be satisfied. I don't need another jacket. I'm done with it. =;

P.S.- You're exacly right, Holt. Even as awesome as the distressed LC looks, it doesn't 'feel' like my jacket at all. Feels like I'm borrowing someone else's. My novapelle Indy feels like home whenever I shrug it on, like wearing a cozy old pair of sneakers. The LC is a costume jacket; something that I'd wear to a convention or summit, but not down to the local bookstore. This episode also brings to mind a gem of wisdom that I read in another thread recently: That it's sometimes better to imagine the ideal Indy jacket than actually possess it, because when it's in your closet you don't have anything to dream about anymore. Once you own it, the thrill is gone.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsusJ787sU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Exactly. I gave it some thought and realized that copying this jacket is like cheating on a test at school; sure you'll get all the answers right and pass, but you don't learn anything. It's a hollow victory. Keeping up with the Joneses is only fun in the movies.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You'll also have the possibility of the jacket being lost somewhere between coming and going from your home to England and back. I'd say you've come to the correct conclusion. You're where you want to be. Enjoy it to it's fullest and stop second guessing yourself. You're right where a lot of folks WISH they were. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....as long as you don't get ahold of the same German girl!

sometimes you have to just....let it go, Jr! :)

somewhere in there is contentment.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Stop. You had me at 'same German girl.' :lol:

I think a certain aged knight would agree that "I have chosen... wisely." :TOH:
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

After wearing my Raiders the past few weeks I find myself wanting to order another LC but with the armholes cut higher to fit closer under the arms.

Decisions Decisions... :-k
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Looking better than ever ;)

I used to give that thing a coat of Pecards to darken it up a shade once a year, works a treat.
That pre distressed hide soon dries back out if you prefer the lighter shade though!

:TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I think it looks fine as-is. I doubt a slathering in Pecards would help anything. I gave my CS novapelle the same treatment and (unwittingly) vanquished the lovely dry matte finish permanently, so now the leather looks like regular glossy cowhide. Wish I could buff the shine off to restore the original dry look, but I don't want to risk damaging the hide.