HOW DO I STOP THE SQUEAKING??? MAKE IT STOP!

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

HOW DO I STOP THE SQUEAKING??? MAKE IT STOP!

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Two week old lamb Wested, It was a lil bit noisy from new and kind of rubbery. It's had a light rain shower treatment and an acetone rub to take the shine off and now it's driving me insane! It's creaking like a man'o'war at high tide. Has the leather dried out so much it needs conditioning already? I'm not a huge fan of Pecards and am wondering if Lexol is a solution, but I've heard it can leave an unpleasant smell.
Please help me to stop sounding like a bad Foley man's interpretation of Lee Van Cleef in a Spaghetti Western. Help me Club Obi Wan. You're my only hope. ](*,)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: HOW DO I STOP THE SQUEAKING??? MAKE IT STOP!

Post by Hollowpond »

This is probably no help, but I couldn't help but remember this thread I started a long time ago...
viewtopic.php?t=40585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, Pecards isn't really recommended for lambskin anyway. I'd say using Lexol won't hurt, but you probably made it worse with the use of acetone as that isn't the best chemical to use on leather.
Lexol has a light odor, bur quickly disappears.
Give it a good dose of Lexol or Pecard's Motorcycle leather lotion (it's like Lexol) and might take some of the squeak away.

Regards. Michaelson
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Michaelson wrote:...Give it a good dose of Lexol or Pecard's Motorcycle leather lotion (it's like Lexol) and might take some of the squeak away.

Regards. Michaelson
Listen to the man. Michaelson squeaks all the time, and that's what we use on him... :[
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Dalexs wrote:
Michaelson wrote:...Give it a good dose of Lexol or Pecard's Motorcycle leather lotion (it's like Lexol) and might take some of the squeak away.

Regards. Michaelson
Listen to the man. Michaelson squeaks all the time, and that's what we use on him... :[
Haha well played. As far as the smell from lexol, I just leave the jacket hanging in the bathroom with the fan on overnight. Perfect in the AM! Since it is lambskin I would try the lexol.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:P
Dalexs wrote:

Regards. Michaelson
#-o :lol: :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

:rolling:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Reminds me of Griffin from MiB 3 lol.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I swear by Obenauf's products, I applied a heavy coat of the oil to my year old Nowak CS and it made the dry leather like buttery dough. It had been a few years since doing this one treatment and has remained the same. It is the most outstanding product I've ever used on leather. I first found it at our local Cabelas but have since bought it direct.

http://www.obenaufs.com

The oil my favorite
http://www.obenaufs.com/leather-oil/leather-oil-1

I bought this kit and found I liked the way the oil went on verses the paste.
http://www.obenaufs.com/special-offers/cleaner-combo
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Obenauf's? Not heard of that one. I'll research further and see if I can source some in the UK. It's strange that with all the lamb jackets on the site no one's complained about this infernal creaking. I sound like the Whomping Willow from Harry Potter when I move. :(
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind that if you go the 'oil' route, you can never return. There is no reversing an oil product application. It will also add a LOT of extra weight to a lambskin jacket if used.

lantzn has had good results, but keep in mind that his CS Nowak jacket is a heavy weight cowhide that was dry tanned.

Lambskin is a completely different situation, and a MUCH tighter pore than cow.

Proceed with caution if you go this route.

Good luck.

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Keep in mind that if you go the 'oil' route, you can never return. There is no reversing an oil product application. It will also add a LOT of extra weight to a lambskin jacket if used.

lantzn has had good results, but keep in mind that his CS Nowak jacket is a heavy weight cowhide that was dry tanned.

Lambskin is a completely different situation, and a MUCH tighter pore than cow.

Proceed with caution if you go this route.

Good luck.

Regards! Michaelson
Good to know as I just obtained my first lambskin jacket so thanks for the wisdom. I dont know what Chewie put on this jacket before I bought it from him but it sure is soft. It is REALLY soft. I can't get over how thrilled I am with it. To be honest I dont think it needs any treatment yet. But I'll inquire with Chewy about what he did. Not to beat a dead horse, (or lamb?) but Magnoli can seriously make a jacket.........

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes. Yes he can. :M: :tup:

Regard! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

OP have you tried anything yet? Curious to see if this has been fixed to your liking.

:TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

You definitely will have far more control with Obenaufs HD paste which I used on my grandsons jackets. I was glad I bought both because they are very different. With the recent comments on lambskin you could give the Paste a go first and then the oil if you want more. Their site states the difference between the two.
This product was designed for firefighter gear so that might give you an idea of its quality.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. The paste is a close match to standard Pecards, so go that route first if that's the product you decide to use, but go light. You don't need much on lambskin.

Regard! Michaelson
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

The owner of Obenaufs is recommending the oil for jackets and the HDLP for boots and straps. The paste is very heavy duty and protect against everything. The oil was designed for apparel. I found the oil really helped shed our NW rain off my jacket and I love the darker color it made it. After the treatment it was more the color of Fords jacket in the promo photos that Tony sent with his jackets. These photos were from a magazine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm still a practitioner of using a water based product like Lexol to stop the squeak when it comes to lambsin, but there are so many good products out there these days, use what you're most comfortable with.

At least with products like Lexol, if you're not happy with the results, you can then try the oil, as water based products eventually evaporate out of the hide. Oil will not, so once you go down that path, that's what you'll have to use from now on.

If you're ok with that, lock and load! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Unfortunately the Lexol effect only lasted about three days. I am still the Mayor of Squeaky town!
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote::P
Dalexs wrote:

Regards. Michaelson
Listen to the man. Michaelson squeaks all the time, and that's what we use on him.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

just wear the heck out of your jacket and soon it wont be shinny and squeaky..let it age even rolling around in sand,dirt,etc..Go on some hikes..
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

hovitos loincloth wrote:Unfortunately the Lexol effect only lasted about three days. I am still the Mayor of Squeaky town!
I love Lexol, swear by it on these jackets along with my other leather projects. However, I did recently have an interesting side-effect while using it on a Wested nappa (lamb) jacket. Heavy application made the previously non-squeaky jacket, well, squeaky.

Another product I regularly use is Fiebing's Glycerine Saddle Soap Liquid in spray bottle form. (LINK HERE.) You can use it to to clean/treat leather, and I have used it a great bit, both on my jackets and my leatherwork projects. It's a spray-on, lather-up, then leave-on product that helps to keep leathers soft; the glycerine does this. It cleans buy lifting impurities to the surface. Once dry, you could buff it if you choose. I've used it with good results on undyed/dyed leather and I've noticed how it make less-pliable leathers easier to work with.

I thought I'd give it a shot on my jacket. I sprayed it directly on the jacket, then used a sponge to work it up into a lather and into the leather. Once I had gone over the whole jacket and worked in the liquid, I then wore the jacket until dry. Sure enough, the squeak was gone. The spray affects the leather like wetting it with water, but the glycerine keeps it from drying out. In my experience, it's kind of two birds with one stone; you clean out any built-up conditioner, wearing it breaks it in to you, yet the leather stays nourished.

It's worth a shot.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

As a Lexol user since the late 80s, and I've never considered it's neutral smell to be an unpleasant "odor" by any means... :-k
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I used Red Wing's oil on my Kelso, and it worked very nicely. The key is to not use much at all. Just the lightest of coats. I applied just a bit to a cloth and lightly rubbed it in. Do not apply directly to the jacket or it will soak in very dark, and, as Michaelson says, there's no going back.
IndianaDan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaDan »

A light dusting of Fuller's earth will stop the squeak (if you want to go the distressed route). That's what I do to my A2. It looks good and no squeak.
Curtis Bessette
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Curtis Bessette »

A little late into the discussion, but I have a new Wested ROTLA that I have tried distressing some and found the similar squeaky sound throughout the process. I noticed someone posting about Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam and thought I'd give the jacket an application of it. Funny thing is: my jacket looks brand new again, barely showing any of the distressing and (which is why I am posting in this thread) the squeaks have stopped. :)

I was actually on the fence with doing any distressing, but kept at it after reaching the no going back now stage. Now it's like a brand new jacket, so if you need to get your lamb skin back to new again, check out wonder balsam.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

I am seriously late in this conversation but wonder what the outcome was - did you fix the squeak , Hovitos Loincloth?

I live in the UK and I tend to treat all new leather products with Glyptone , a British product for restoring leather car seats. It is aimed at the classic car market but works wonders. I am sure that would stop the creaking ...