Harrison Fedora from AdVintage fedoras

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Harrison Fedora from AdVintage fedoras

Post by indianaj222 »

Hello fellow Indy fans,

I have been an Indiana Jones fan for a long time and frequent the Indy Gear page. I recently joined COW and have been thrilled by the wealth of information. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I am in search of an excellent Indy fedora and have been checking out all of the info shared by members. I recently purchased a Downtowner from Todd's and really like it. I would also like another hat just a step above this one but can't afford a fully custom handmade hat (wish I could). I have been looking at the Harrison Fedora offered through AdVintage and they seem to be very solid and have a custom look and feel. Does anyone have any experience with this hat or have any input? I really appreciate it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Harrison Fedora from AdVintage fedoras

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Welcome aboard. :TOH:

At the top right corner of the page is a Search function to prevent you from having to scroll through pages and pages.

Here's one thread to get you started. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... =advintage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a thought, depending on where you live, there's a number of custom hatters that will run in the range of what an AdVintage will cost. Myself, my head falls between regular hat sizes so I prefer custom sizing.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

Indiana Jeff,

Thanks for the advice! I looked at the AdVintage thread and it seems most everyone has been pleased with quality and service. I will continue to search COW for some more info, especially since I now can use the search function. A junior blogger I am :) I was trying to compare the Henry with the Harrison Fedora because they are both beaver/rabbit blends and owners seem to be pleased with Henry.

I live in the Austin, TX area so I'll start checking around for some custom hatters that specialize in the Indy fedora. I read on one of the posts that Justin Pierce, I believe from Peters Brothers Hats, was from Hutto just outside of Austin. I don't know if he's still in the area, but that may be a good start. Thanks again for the advice. Let the search continue!

Indianaj222
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not to steer you away from AdVintage, but if you are in Austin, it's worth taking a drive up to Fort Worth to see Peters Brothers. They developed their Indy hat with input from COW members. Their pricing would be in the ballpark and you could get personally fitted for a custom.

I have two hats from PB and they replaced the sweatband on a vintage campaign hat for me. High quality work all around.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaDan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaDan »

I, too, just received my Todd's Downtowner and really like it! My next hat, though, will be a Garrison Raiders. For not much more than the AdVintage, you can get a custom made Garrison. ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The Advintage Harrison sounds very much like the felt used for an AB Henry, 80%/20%. I have two Henry's in brown and gray, and really love them. Very soft, quality felt and the band is very comfortable. At $200 US, its a very solid option.
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

Thanks for sharing! Keep the advice coming. I need all I can get.

Indiana Jeff I was considering Peters Brothers but can't seem to find any pricing. Their website appears to be under construction. If you happen to have any recent prices for beaver, rabbit, or a blend, I would appreciate it. I would really love to buy a custom made hat but my current price range is about $200-$300. This is why I have been considering the factory made Harrison, even though it comes from overseas. The AdVintage hats seem to be of very high quality. I also know a custom hat is a lifetime investment, but I'm not sure my wife would agree :).

I haven't given up hope on a beautiful custom Indy hat. I have seen so many beautiful works of art on this page and would love to be the proud owner/wearer of one.

Texan Scott,

Where did you purchase your Henry's for $200? I checked the Adventurebilt website and it shows the price to be $299 Euro which comes out to about $375 USD.

Thanks everyone,
Indianaj222
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/Harrison-Fedora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

159e, or about $200 is the price for the Advintage Harrison. I've had a lot of hats, but I have been very pleased with the Henry. If this 80/20 felt is much like it, and it appears to be, then it is a great deal for the money. If you decide to go that direction, give us a review. I'd like to know more about it myself.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

The Streets of Cairo looks pretty cool.
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

Texan Scott,

I am leaning towards the AdVintage Harrison fedora. I haven't fully committed but if I purchase, I will definitely post pics and try to give a good review. It cost another 32 Euro to have it shipped to the US which comes out to about $40.00.

Baddates1,

The streets of Cairo look is pretty fantastic! I am leaning towards a Last Crusade hat and bash since I recently purchased a Todd's Downtowner with the Raiders styling. Todd's did a fantastic job of shaping this hat, even comes with the classic Raiders turn. I don't have much to compare my hat to since the Todd's hat is the first hat I have purchased that wasn't essentially a novelty hat. The rabbit fur felt is very soft and pliable.

I tried to post some pics of the hat, but it just puts [img] on my screen, and I'm not sure how to paste a picture into a message.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

indianaj222 wrote:
Indiana Jeff I was considering Peters Brothers but can't seem to find any pricing. Their website appears to be under construction. If you happen to have any recent prices for beaver, rabbit, or a blend, I would appreciate it. I would really love to buy a custom made hat but my current price range is about $200-$300.
Thanks everyone,
Indianaj222

That's the downside of PB, their online presence is not strong. On the flip side, I've always had great service by calling the shop directly. I have two hats from them, a Indy straw hat and a rabbit Man with No Name hat. The MWNN hat was roughly $250 a few years ago to give you an idea on pricing, but I have no idea if pricing has changed.
IndianaDan wrote:I, too, just received my Todd's Downtowner and really like it! My next hat, though, will be a Garrison Raiders. For not much more than the AdVintage, you can get a custom made Garrison. ;)
I have two hats made from scratch by Garrison and David re-blocked two others for me. Again, all the work was top quality.

Yet another custom option to consider is Mike at Northwest Hats. I have a non-indy hat from Mike. Mike hasn't made as many Indy hats and I don't know how close his version is, but his work is outstanding.

indianaj222,

It all depends on what you want and what you are going to use your hat for. If you are planning on daily wear through all kinds of weather, PB, Garrison and Northwest hats are built to provide that and all are in the price range you are looking to spend.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...around $240 or so, shipped. Back in the day, when the Henry was first introduced, it was $250 plus shipping. Today it is 299e, which is about $368 plus shipping.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:...around $240 or so, shipped. Back in the day, when the Henry was first introduced, it was $250 plus shipping. Today it is 299e, which is about $368 plus shipping.

Are you talking about the AB Henry?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/henry.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The Henry is no longer being made.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Clicking on the link a post or so above takes you to Adventurbilt website that I have never seen before.

My question is can you not order a holster or brush or shirt from that website?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I recently received a new Adventurebilt Henry from Marc Kitter. He operates the European Adventurebilt side of things.

I also have the AdVintage Harrison.

The Henry and Harrison are both factory made hats sourced in Europe. Both are a 80% rabbit and 20% beaver mix. I personally do not see much of a difference between these models. Both are very nice and well made hats.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Then at $200, it is a bargain. There was a few things in the listing that caught my attention: 80/20 and "best factory hat" etc. Immediately, the Henry came to mind, and it is exactly the way people used to describe it back in the day.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Glenville86 wrote:I recently received a new Adventurebilt Henry from Marc Kitter. He operates the European Adventurebilt side of things.

I also have the AdVintage Harrison.

The Henry and Harrison are both factory made hats sourced in Europe. Both are a 80% rabbit and 20% beaver mix. I personally do not see much of a difference between these models. Both are very nice and well made hats.
Marc may have a few in his shop as I have two left. Both grey but they arent being made anymore.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Henry not being made anymore?! Too bad. Great hat.
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

I took the plunge and ordered the Harrison from AdVintage. Communication from Thomas was quick and excellent. My total came out just over $200. I probably won't have it before Christmas, but I am super excited it's on the way. I was notified yesterday that it shipped.

I plan on saving up this next year for the Penman Raiders Legacy. I sometimes wish I hadn't found this forum but every time I put on my hat and jacket, I smile and really enjoy walking out the door. I will post pics of the Harrison when it arrives. I went with the Crusade and the Venice Italy scene. Someone may have to give me pointers on how to upload pics. I have tried before and failed.

Merry Christmas Indy fans,
Indianaj222
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I for one would like to see the hat when it arrives.
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

I received my AdVintage Harrison Crusader about 2 weeks ago. It is absolutely beautiful and Thomas with AdVintage was fantastic! His customer service was superb! I have a Raiders Downtowner from Todd's, and the Harrison is definitely my favorite of the two. The felt is an 80/20 blend of rabbit/beaver and is stiffer than the Downtowner felt. It was very easy to manipulate the shape of the hat and the ribbon is more true to the Indy film color. The hat fits true to size and since it is a factory made hat, this was the only thing I was worried about. I have several pictures to post. I am very pleased with my purchase. I paid right at $200 and it took 30 days to get here from Germany. Can someone please tell me how to insert a picture into a message. Every time I try, it won't let me. I'm using an Android phone.

Thanks,
Indianaj222
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

Okay I set up Photo Bucket and am going to try to post the link. If it doesn't work, I'll try again. In the pic of 2 hats, the Harrison is on the left and Downtowner on the right. Here goes: http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/india ... %20Uploads
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The Harrison is a great hat. Congratulations - 8)
indianaj222
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianaj222 »

If the link didn't work, here's try # 2:

Someone post and let me know if any of the links worked. Happy viewing!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

When I click on the first photobucket link you posted, PB says the album is private.

The links in your second post don't work for me at all.

I've never had any luck trying upload pictures on a mobile devise. I always wait until I'm at a PC to do that.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

These links worked. A VERY nice looking fedora! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

Very nice.

Great to have another option, and one that is such good value for money.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Great hat! Congratulations indianaj222 and Thomas!

Cheers.-
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Great looking fedora. I'm assuming that the felt is fepsa from previous posts from Thomas. The color penetration and richness of the felt looks great. I like the liner too. And that price is hard to beat for a beaver blend.

fedoralover
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Thinking about getting one of those Harrison fedora's. But then again, maybe I need to safe up a bit an order a custom made one instead. Their prices are quite okay imho. And I've dealt with Thomas before in the past, and he's great to work with.
albert jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by albert jones »

For one year ago, I ordered a Harrison Fedora from Advintage Fedora in Germany, after one year I musst tell , the hat ist really fantastic, ist not possible to give a description the fur ist amazing, and the shape ROTLA for me ist the best. Thomas worked more als 5 hours in my hat to arrive at the perfect style. I was to happy that ordered one jr fedora in TOD and was also perfect. My Harrison fedora I use everyday in the City and the jr wenn I travel ...Adventure time. South America, Istambul, and Tunez. :D \:D/
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have 3 of the Harrison models and have worn each quite a bit in rain, snow and sun. They are holding up great. I also have some of their 100% beaver ones and figured I would start wearing them when the lower cost Harrisons wore out but they are going strong and have not lost their shape at all and the felt still looks new.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Has anyone received one of these recently? I've heard that sometimes they can be pretty tapered right out of the box. Looked for pics but they're all pretty old and seem to be pretty hit or miss.