Museum Curator

Re: Show your STEELE & JONES "Cazadora '36"

Post by whiskyman »

Nice jacket.. But..that has to be the BEST Raiders hat I've ever seen!! :clap:
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

whiskyman wrote:Nice jacket.. But..that has to be the BEST Raiders hat I've ever seen!! :clap:
Well, thanks...probably the dirt is doing half of the job...
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

RayROnline wrote: Looks good. Thanks for sharing the pics. I would like to see an up close of the grain someday. I can't tell if it's the ribby or other in these.
Yeah, in the pictures is hard to see grain, texture and ribs.
But, that leather is Ribby Merino, and I know it's all there...

Reminds me of certain movie jacket, that had the very same effect...on screen looked almost completely smooth, but we know for sure had grain, texture and ribs all over it...argh, I can't remember the movie...anyone? :)

Odo wrote:Back panel is great, too, but unfortunately I don't have good enough pics of it...
I have a couple of pictures:
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q75 ... 9d6668.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q75 ... 1695df.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q75 ... 408ca8.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Odo wrote:
whiskyman wrote:Nice jacket.. But..that has to be the BEST Raiders hat I've ever seen!! :clap:
No, the dirt adds to it..but the shape and bash are spot on! I know, I've tried with SO many hats over the years.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

whiskyman wrote:
Odo wrote:
No, the dirt adds to it..but the shape and bash are spot on! I know, I've tried with SO many hats over the years.
It's all about proportions.

That hat Roberto is wearing is HUGE. 3 1/6" brim and 5 3/4" open crown.
But he's 6'5" tall, and with wide shoulders.

Of course, the block is accurate and the bashing is perfect (Roberto's work).
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Gotta say,once again, :roll: great looking jacket,RayROnline! :tup: That´s exactly what I´ve been after.But the price is still..... ](*,)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

MARQ wrote:Gotta say,once again, :roll: great looking jacket,RayROnline! :tup: That´s exactly what I´ve been after.But the price is still..... ](*,)
You should send me an e-mail.
The pricing on our website is "generic".
Occasionally, we have special offers that we don't post on our site.

Cheers.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

For this latest iteration, I threw a bone to InDieglo Jones in deep, deep south Texas, and his phosphorescent sheep.

Feeling much like Sherlock Holmes in Hound of the Baskervilles, I knew something was afoot, and donned my detective's hat to get to the bottom of this caper! :-k

Review and pics to follow...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The late spring and early summer of 1980 conjures images. I could only imagine what was happening behind the scenes? After Peter’s meeting with Kelly Kimball, he must have went back to his shop, with the main points of the meeting still echoing in his mind…. ’we’re scheduled to shoot these scenes with the jacket’....’we need it as soon as possible’. I have visualized Peter burning the mid night oil in the back room of his shop, hurriedly putting it together. Quite possibly, as Diego has said before, to save time, he could have pulled a pre-made jacket off the rack, like a 44, and determined to make it fit? Some 30+ years later, there are still some unanswered questions, that we are still trying to piece the events together, concerning the jacket.

Steele and Jones. Fans and would be carpenters, reconstructing certain important pieces of the gear for the collector, that perhaps have only been seen accurately on film and in the mind’s eye.

I have to say that there is a guy who resides in deep, deep, south Texas that only delivers superb customer service. Insightful, kind and very patient with me, my hat goes off to the man whose thoughts of Indy fandom are buried as treasures of an archaeological find, deeply in his heart. But if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and certainly it is, could a sincere fan deliver?

I contacted Diego after I learned of the very thin Argentinean cowhide he was packing, and he informed me that the leather is of the highest quality. Sample photos were emailed to me, and I chose to have it made first, even sooner than the striated Merino.

Cue the red line of the journey…..his thoughtfulness and attention to detail was carried forward even into the shipment’s packaging. One day during the week, with temperatures soaring past the 100 degree mark…and is there any other or better time to receive a leather jacket….it arrived at my doorstep in a box, so I quickly retrieved it, curious as to its contents, and eager to discover his own vision of undoubtedly the most sought after token of fandom, the jacket. The Katanga script….the captain of that ol’ tramp steamer was diligent enough to return Indy’s jacket! He must have made quite the impression on the old salt, extras included:

The jacket… hmmm …….. :-k ....... Diego & Co. have big shoes to fill, attempting to bridge a 33 plus year gap, in terms of accurately reproducing the most coveted of props (for me) in film history. Were they up to the challenge? There is nothing quite like pulling a new jacket out of the box for the first time, with certain expectations and hopes kicked into high gear. So I unzipped it and tried it on. From a glance, the leather’s texture is very much like lamb, but this very thin cowhide is not soft and luxurious like department store lamb material. No, the look and feel of the leather is just a bit stiffer. Folds, creases, a bit of stiffness, no problem! Just wear it awhile and then hang it on a hook and allow gravity to go to work for you during after-hours. A few weeks after the fact, and lets take a look, shall we.... ;)

Details. Frontally, this reproduction contains all the specs you would expect from an Indy jacket. Pockets even have the thinner piping at the top of the flap, rounded scallops and sufficient shaping. Hand warmers go into the lining. The zip is attached near the bottom seam, as was the original, and an antique brass zip was supplied as requested. Once worn, vertical pleating of the chest panels are prominent. The one inch collar stand and rounded collar points were tweaks and filled in this custom order. Gussets, the proper K-stitching, even the thin yoke with offset yoke and sleeve seams were standard ops for S&J. Straps are just the right length and the buckles have an authentic flavor.

Quality. Stitching is tight and the seams are strong, evenly placed, and sturdy. The inside liner is almost a silky rayon type of material, and provides a measure of warmth.

About the only two issues I have with the jacket’s details are that the action pleats could be slightly deeper by maybe ¼ to 3/8” and the storm flap, possibly 1/8” wider.

If you consider the notion that TN received a Raiders film jacket from the LFL archives and reproduced it, one factor that you should be aware of is that historically, all the jacket makers, except for maybe TN, and now S&J, are the only ones who have not made any changes or tweaks, as the tendency has been to modify the jacket pattern to be a better fitting jacket for customers. This is one of the reasons why the S&J has such a faithful ring to it. The Raiders jacket has a certain unique look and drape, albeit mistakes, odd sizing, modifications or whatever, that gives it its distinct perfect storm “lightning in a bottle” appearance, look and feel that most everyone has been trying to capture since day one. So choose wisely.

Now THAT is a Raiders yoke, vendors and members! Thin…thin...thin….

Allowing for the initial euphoria to subside and the jacket’s leather to relax, I have to say that the S&J Cazadora ’36, is probably the most accurate Raiders jacket I have received to date. Diego’s attention to detail, his excellent customer service down to the smallest concerns, as a fan and now, as a clothier, make this reproduction one of the finest Indy jackets ever made for me. From my perspective and consideration, it is better in terms of its being a faithful reproduction of the actual prop.

During the summer of 1981, I was visiting my friend’s house just across the alley. Dinner was served and as the aromas filled the living room, a critic by the name of Leonard Maltin, commented on this new summer blockbuster of a film by ending his review with a few lines that will always be with me. The clip closed with the old Waco bi-plane fading precariously into the sunset. I can only echo his words about this jacket….

“I’m giving this jacket a 9, because no one gets a 10…!”
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

wow that's some review. You're a writer alright. I didn't realize you had gotten cow rather then the lamb. It looks great, and seems to fit just right!

and I must agree with you. Even though I've never owned a Nowak, I now see no reason to ever worry about it. I love my s and j and I'm sure it will remain my favorite Raiders jacket.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Oh, and TEX, are you really planning on wearing that in that heat? :shock: It's been that kind of hot here, too + humid. I might even risk stroke just to wear it (I love mine so much). I can take the heat, but not sure if I can take the stares from people wondering why I'm wearing a jacket, lol
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

When my jacket arrives, all I know is that I might have to risk the heat for it. Great review Texan Scott! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Thanks guys! Yeah, where would we be without that good ol' TXun sun? ;)

...'bout time to give Diego his due and overdue for a review, I thought. #-o

.... :P :whip:

RE: Christy, NH, Wrangler CE's
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Those scuff marks look pretty drastic - or is it mud?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

dirt from the outside table. ;)

A jacket often exhibits certain characteristics based on the way it was made. This collar lays flat on its own and from the first day it arrived, like the...Hawaii jacket, and if the TN was an accurate copy of the Archives jacket, then could it be that the Hawaii jacket was the one that made it into the archives? Still, I wonder what happened to the main Hero..? :-k
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Texan Scott wrote:dirt from the outside table. ;)

A jacket often exhibits certain characteristics based on the way it was made. This collar lays flat on its own and from the first day it arrived, like the...Hawaii jacket, and if the TN was an accurate copy of the Archives jacket, then could it be that the Hawaii jacket was the one that made it into the archives? Still, I wonder what happened to the main Hero..? :-k
George's office? ;)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Tex, thank you so much for this review.
We really enjoy to deliver to fans the gear we've always wanted!
Tibor wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Still, I wonder what happened to the main Hero..? :-k
George's office? ;)
LOL! Bravo, Tibor :clap:

PS: in case someone wants to know what the "arab" writing in the letter means, just copy and paste this next text in the google translator (arab to english). Cheers!

أبعث بتحياتي إلى ماريون.
صلاح.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here are some recent shots of my jacket paired with my Steele & Jones HJ Replica....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 6erpko.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... zoa6bl.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... i4hbpy.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 8x0a2a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 7bjwn8.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Great pictures Gorak!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks guys! All the compliments feel sooooooo good. Make us think it worth the effort.

Leather clarification

This are the leathers available according to movie:

RAIDERS
1) Dark Brown thin cowhide (the one on Raiders' Texan Scott jacket)
2) Dark Brown thin cowhide, WITH screen-accurate hand made distressing (every single mark, scratch you see on screen...but on your jacket!)
3) Brown Ribby Merino Skins -last skins from last batch-
4) Brown Ribby Merino Skins, WITH screen-accurate hand made distressing (every single mark, scratch you see on screen...but on your jacket! RAIDERS perfect) -last skins from last batch-

(*) NO extra charge for screen-accurate distressing.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

You still have Merino !!??
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

You still have Merino !!??
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I have hiccups, not my computer. :D Yeah it's well into the cocktail hour !! :D
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

micsteam wrote:You still have Merino !!??
We still have some.
Send me an e-mail, to see if we can work something out.
pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar

Cheers.-
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Texan Scott, that jacket looks good. Can you tell me (us) again what the hide is?

I think you said cow, but it's thin...but not thin like lamb?

Do you think this hide resembles what you have shown here above?

I am thinking about having one made, but I want a strong, durable hide that will wear over time. I want it to have some thickness to it.

Diego will be needing my measurements....two attempts with Wested and neither jacket from them fits, so I am not sure I am measuring myself correctly.

Will the Steele and Jones Raiders jacket have a slim fit to it, like so many of today's clothing....I can not fit into all this new age slim fitted styles.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That jacket pictured above is thin cow. very thin like the first few generations of a Todd's jacket, but it makes an excellent Raiders jacket. If you want some thickness, go with the striated lamb if you have a chance. Just use the measuring tape and give him accurate measurements and they will size to fit
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

What is your hide in the Steele and Jones photos? I don't want any part of the Todd's jacket and how thin those jackets are...garbage bag with straps...not my idea of a jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Its thin cow in the photos, but if you are looking for a thicker hide, go with the striated lamb. It's much thicker.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Well, heck, now I don't know what leather to get.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

typically, people might choose a thinner leather for a Raiders jacket, but tend to go thicker for a LC, it just depends on what you like?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote:Texan Scott, that jacket looks good. Can you tell me (us) again what the hide is?

I think you said cow, but it's thin...but not thin like lamb?

Do you think this hide resembles what you have shown here above?

I am thinking about having one made, but I want a strong, durable hide that will wear over time. I want it to have some thickness to it.

Diego will be needing my measurements....two attempts with Wested and neither jacket from them fits, so I am not sure I am measuring myself correctly.

Will the Steele and Jones Raiders jacket have a slim fit to it, like so many of today's clothing....I can not fit into all this new age slim fitted styles.

Chad, the image you show here is the thicker cowhide picture I've sent you.
High quality, top notch leather. Comparable to Nowaks Indy 4 leather (but better, IMO)

Texan Scott jacket leather is 0.5 to 0.7 mm thick.
This leather option is 0.7 to 0.9 mm. And really-really soft and pliable. With beautiful natural grain on it.

Another thing is, we make jackets 100% CUSTOM. So, no slim fitting for you, if that's your need.
Please, get in contact by e-mail so we can define your custom patterns.

Cheers.-
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

It is just hard without being able to hold the leather in my hand...I know what I want, I just have trouble putting into words.

I also have to try everything on in terms of clothes for fit...I am very picky how things fit on me. I am getting older, holding more weight and have trouble finding things I feel comfortable wearing unless I try it on.

Would you recommend going to a tailor to take my measurements for your jacket instead of me measuring myself?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote: I also have to try everything on in terms of clothes for fit...I am very picky how things fit on me. I am getting older, holding more weight and have trouble finding things I feel comfortable wearing unless I try it on.

Would you recommend going to a tailor to take my measurements for your jacket instead of me measuring myself?
To make the custom patterns for a jacket we ask:

* Chest measurement
* Sleeve lenght
* height & weight
* 2 pictures full body, front and side
* And your idea about how do you want this jacket to fit you (screen accurate, daily wear, not too short...etc)

If you feel is safer going to a tailor for the measurements it's ok.
We guide you through all the process, and we get the jacket done only once we are 100% sure the measurements and proportions are what you are looking for.

Cheers.-
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Maybe you have another non Indy jacket that fits you, which you can measure, or even you may have another Indy jacket which doesn't fit you, so you can tell which measures of it you are happy with, and which should be increased or reduce...just an idea...
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Thanks Indiego...this helps. When you say Chest...is that the circumference of the chest using a tape measure-can I use a current jacket, zipped up, armpit seam to armpit seam? I think this is the part I want to be most accurate.

Yes, Odo...that is what I will probably wind up doing.

Still may take all 3 of my jackets (2 Wested and one US Wings) into a tailor and have them use the jackets for reference and to measure me.

Does anyone have any idea of a common place of business that might can do the measuring? The local department stores that sell suits....I don't care for, they always seem in a rush and don't take careful measurements.

My local tailor that I use for pants...doesn't speak English very well....hard to communicate.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote:Thanks Indiego...this helps. When you say Chest...is that the circumference of the chest using a tape measure-can I use a current jacket, zipped up, armpit seam to armpit seam? I think this is the part I want to be most accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDa8TePCR8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to continue the sizing process by e-mail, thanks.-
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Ok... I have sent some information thru e-mail.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote:Ok... I have sent some information thru e-mail.
Get it. I'll reply ASAP.
Thanks.-
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Diego...thanks for all your help. I am expecting a great LC jacket with all of your professionalism and care, time and effort you have exchanged with me thru e-mail.

Fellas of the board....if you have any jacket requests, these guys at Steele and Jones are great to work with and will do their best to get the jacket process going.

Now the wait.....arhghhhhhh.

Chad
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

My pleasure :TOH:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Gotta say, those are some good looking jackets. Dig on the packaging too.

Cheers!

Dan
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Yes,I'm waiting on the packaging as much as I'm waiting on the jacket. I'm hoping I get a really cool message from Dr. Jones
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have an order in with S&J. Went with a Cazadora 38 - Last Crusade type jacket in premium quality soft cowhide (chocolate color).
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That thin cow is awesome leather, has the warm undertones that you find on film, and fulfills my vision for the Raiders jacket. Because it is thin, it pleats easily.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Glenville86,

I have the same order in too. LC style in cowhide too. Guess we might be getting the leather from the same batch.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Yes car96, same leather batch.
Glenville86 wrote:I have an order in with S&J. Went with a Cazadora 38 - Last Crusade type jacket in premium quality soft cowhide (chocolate color).
The leather Glenville86 is talking about is a new skin we had the chance to have available.
It's butter-soft premium cowhide, slightly thicker than the thin cowhide.

Premium quality soft cowhide (chocolate color) = 0.9 - 1.1 mm thick

Thin cowhide -Texan's jacket- (dark brown) = 0.5 - 0.7 mm thick

The Thin Cowhide leather drapes, moves, weights just like lambskin.
But not as fragile as lamb.

Cheers.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Exactly, and that's why it deserves a serious look. ;)
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Well, it looks like I'll finally get a Last Crusade made for me, too... I was seriously thinking about a Temple of Doom jacket, though. I must choose. But chooose wisely.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I would like to make a suggestion for thin, very pliable goatskin, think like your current cowhide offering if that is possible? That would be great leather. I don't know how G&B gets their goatskin so soft. It must be treated with something?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Texan Scott wrote:I would like to make a suggestion for thin, very pliable goatskin, think like your current cowhide offering if that is possible? That would be great leather. I don't know how G&B gets their goatskin so soft. It must be treated with something?
I'm currently working in getting more leather options.
Goat is one of them. Fingers crossed.