Ab ribbon

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Ab ribbon

Post by alex1152 »

Hey guys
I've noticed that the color of the ribbon in my AB is a different to the color of the one in my AB deluxe and also to several other hats I've seen around here(Penman and Ab) somehow mine seems a lighter brown, when the one in my ABD looks almost black same with a Henry i own. I've been comparing both and they just don't feel like the same ribbon color, I also noticed that they way is stiched is quite different, it feels like Steve changed his technique , the bow doesn't look like the one in raiders at all in color or stiching, same for the crystal skull.
Don't get me wrong I love my hats but I'm a bit concerned about these little details.
Does anyone else is aware of this?
I'll try to post some pics.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Ab ribbon

Post by Michaelson »

Steve makes the AB in Mississippi.

Marc Kitter makes the AB Deluxe in Germany.

If memory serves me right (and John Penman can confirm or correct), Marc also sourced the Henry so that explains that comparison.

Two different hat makers and source material. The only thing they share is the AB name.

Regards! Michaelson
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

I know that but I thought they used the same ribbon, I've read many times around here that Steve, Marc and John are the only ones that have the screen used ribbon. And for what I've seen the only one that looks different in color is Steve's.

And about the stiching, I have a gray kotcs ab about 3 years old and the ribbon stiching is far better than the new ones. Again don't get me wrong, I love the hats and Steve is a great guy I just find it odd.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That I'm not sure of. I know they did use the same ribbon during the time of CS and afterwards, but I'm not sure if that's the case now. John would know. :TOH:

If you're comparing a 3 year old grey standard AB to a current AB, leaving the Deluxe out of the mix.....keep in mind, Steve has been very sick over the past few years. It could have very well affected the way he sews. One can only guess. :-k

Once again,
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Keep in mind too, if you are comparing hats in hand with what you are seeing in pictures, there's a million factors that are going to change the color impressions.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this but need to take it one step at a time. First how old is your AB from Steve?

If it's a older one it could be before the Screen used ribbon was found. Or if it is a very recent hat it could be that Steve ran out of the SU ribbon and is using something else as funds are very low and the SU stuff is very expensive.

As of his bow design or sewing. It makes me think it might be what M has stated already. He was working though his illness and that might have effected his work a little.

Give me a little more info so I can help out on what is going on.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

This ht was made september of 2014 by Steve. Maybe this is why my ribbon faded so much so soon?
This pic was aken in the first 2 weeks.

Hope this helps
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

BendingOak wrote:I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this but need to take it one step at a time. First how old is your AB from Steve?

If it's a older one it could be before the Screen used ribbon was found. Or if it is a very recent hat it could be that Steve ran out of the SU ribbon and is using something else as funds are very low and the SU stuff is very expensive.

As of his bow design or sewing. It makes me think it might be what M has stated already. He was working though his illness and that might have effected his work a little.

Give me a little more info so I can help out on what is going on.
Thanks for helping out John. :TOH:

I got my first AB from Steve around 3 1/2 years ago, it's a grey KOTCS, this one came with the pyramid liner, the ribbon in this one is sewn in the same way as what I see in the movie, the stitching on the sweatband is great.

In October 2014 I got a rabbit raiders, when I pulled it out of the box I noticed the ribbon color was different to my ABD, at the moment I thought it was because the felt was darker and it made it look that way, the stitching and the way the ribbon was set on this threw me off a bit,also the work on the sweatband, I've only use this hat a couple of times since a little big for me and the white bow is starting to come off.

ABD and AB

This month I got a KOTCS beaver from him, I've been wanting this hat for quite a while, the felt is great, the work on the sweatband aswell but again the ribbon color and stitching just doesn't feel right.

I even asked my girlfriend if it was just or the color was different, most of the times she doesn't see the difference between one hat and another but she agreed in this one, so maybe I'm not that crazy.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

Two more pictures of me wearing the hats.
Rabbit Raiders

Beaver CS

Hope this helps.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Can't say for sure but from the photos it doesn't appear to be the same ribbon. As for his work, I think what you are seeing is his health showing though. It pains me to say it as I love Steve and his work.

Give me a call 971-246-1833 I have a couple question that might help but would be to hard to do it on a forum, pm or email.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

BendingOak wrote:Can't say for sure but from the photos it doesn't appear to be the same ribbon. As for his work, I think what you are seeing is his health showing though. It pains me to say it as I love Steve and his work.

Give me a call 971-246-1833 I have a couple question that might help but would be to hard to do it on a forum, pm or email.
Thanks John, I'll give you a call.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

Problem solved!

Thanks for all the help John!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

good going Penman on your part ..Maybe since you all figured it out,you can post what the issue was "if its not something private?"..would be interesting to know..
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

youngjedi71 wrote:good going Penman on your part ..Maybe since you all figured it out,you can post what the issue was "if its not something private?"..would be interesting to know..

It's exactly what I thought it was. I went via phone to cut down the time, that's all.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Excellent John :tup:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

BendingOak wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:good going Penman on your part ..Maybe since you all figured it out,you can post what the issue was "if its not something private?"..would be interesting to know..

It's exactly what I thought it was. I went via phone to cut down the time, that's all.
Oh..good..thanks for being here to help
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

youngjedi71 wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

Oh..good..thanks for being here to help

That's what I try to do.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Since this has been sorted out, we may as well close the door.

Thanks for your help, John! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson