All of the "Close Enough" Boots?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: All of the "Close Enough" Boots?

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

As anybody seen these. I think they're a great close enough boot. I have a pair of Borns but in another style and they're just about the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. At $140 they're a great all around buy. http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have a distressed look for those who prefer the more pumpkinish color over the darker leathers. http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Thursday boots Really close indy boot.

Post by Glenville86 »

I was going to order a pair but found a new pair of Redwing sort of Indy looking boots for under 190.00 on EBay.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

MOD NOTE: I merged the Thursday Boots into the All the Close Enough Boots thread to keep all of the variations in one place. Too many good finds here to have them spread around the board and forgotten.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Those Diplomat boots :o :o I´d say they copied Alden´s purposely!! ;) They´re spot on and for price of 199...WOW!! I´d buy`em. :tup: :tup: :tup:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Here's a review of the Thursday boots: Thrusday Boot Review Link

Please note, the review was written before the Kickstarter campaign was funded/finished. However, should you have questions on the campaign, the company, look at the bottom here: Thursday Boot Kickstarter Link

Honestly, they look really nice and have a great price point for general use.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ok, I just ordered a pair in brown. I could not understand the whole "kickstart" method in relation to when I should be getting them but what sold me on them was the review that they were VERY identical to Indy Aldens except much lighter in weight. Cuz, screen accurate or not, aldens are heavy and I always feel like Frankenstein clunking around.....I never feel like I could run from Hovitos or jump a chasm in them.i will definitely post up pics and review...... :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Lookin´ forward to that..
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Awesome! I added the Thursday boots link to my favorites so I can remember that company as an Alden alternative. Could you post pics of the sole of the boots too? The site doesn't show the bottom of them.

Regards from a gentleman: baddates1
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

baddates1 wrote:Awesome! I added the Thursday boots link to my favorites so I can remember that company as an Alden alternative. Could you post pics of the sole of the boots too? The site doesn't show the bottom of them.

Regards from a gentleman: baddates1
Check the review's link posted by Mountaineer. You'll find pics of the sole of the boots there ;)
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Mountaineer wrote:Here's a review of the Thursday boots: Thrusday Boot Review Link

Please note, the review was written before the Kickstarter campaign was funded/finished. However, should you have questions on the campaign, the company, look at the bottom here: Thursday Boot Kickstarter Link

Honestly, they look really nice and have a great price point for general use.
WHy in the world are the moctoe boots sooooo much more $$$??? thats just ridiculous..
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

All three styles of boots are priced at $199.

In the Kickstarter campaign you could opts to buy three pairs of boots for $589. They happened to show all moc-toe in the picture.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Anyone who has ordered in the states, how much is shipping and any tax on the Thursdays?

Thanks.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Gorak wrote:Ok, I just ordered a pair in brown. I could not understand the whole "kickstart" method in relation to when I should be getting them but what sold me on them was the review that they were VERY identical to Indy Aldens except much lighter in weight. Cuz, screen accurate or not, aldens are heavy and I always feel like Frankenstein clunking around.....I never feel like I could run from Hovitos or jump a chasm in them.i will definitely post up pics and review...... :TOH:
I threw in the Kickstarter link because it was something mentioned in the review link. I work with a guy who recently had his own Kickstarter project successfully funded; so based on Thursday's Kickstarter page, and the experience I saw my coworker go through, Thursday's "creators" probably only needed capital to source materials and/or funds for already-skilled labor to make theses boots. Guessing at their thought process here, but after being funded they would then spin it off to its own line/brand and sell them online, which it looks like they're doing.

They asked for 30 grand to get started and received almost 10 times that. Ankle boots are quite popular, and not just with this crowd.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I found, in my spam folder, an email from yesterday at 8:25am that my boots were just shipped and on their way........fast service if so!
Shipping was zero! And so far, all my invoice says is an even literal $199.00 \:D/
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:All three styles of boots are priced at $199.

In the Kickstarter campaign you could opts to buy three pairs of boots for $589. They happened to show all moc-toe in the picture.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
oh my bad..i see now..thats a pretty decent deal..well..if you have that kind of money..
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Just received EMail....boots should arrive Friday! =P~
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Cool! Can't wait to hear about them!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... hwtou1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Thursday Diplomat.....or better yet, the newest Indy alternative.. Right out of the box, my first impression was that this boot is very well made. I don't know if it is, only time will tell but it feels very strong and sturdy in the hand.
It is pictured with (in order in the picture from left to right) Thursday Diplomat, Frye Walter Lace up, true Alden's over 20 years old, and Aldo's Jeremiah's.
I could not take good pics as the weather is cold dark and wet here. But you can see that the brown is a very nice dark color. The laces are flat long laces very reminiscent of the Alden laces....kinda waxy too. I tried one on and it felt to have a very steep arch inside but comfy. I won't speak on this until after I have worn them a whole day as that could change everything. . size was right on and it does feel a bit lighter in weight than Alden's but not by much.....but again, I have not wore them both thru a day yet.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... gwp2f8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here are the Jcrew Indy Alden Suedes...
The Jcrw are the most comfortable to walk in...
the jerimiahs have loops instead of speedlaces which I LOVE much better...
the Frye are super cool and have recieved many compliments from the younger generation and the real Aldens were very comfy and also got compliments from peoiple everywhere I went.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Thursday Boot Co. Diplomat.

Post by Kt Templar »

So they are significantly darker (and quite a lot darker than the website images) and not a 100% Alden clone, the side of the boot is missing the waist stitch, and the heels seems to protrude beyond the shoe in a way the Aldens do not, they also seem to be higher, but that could be that the Aldens are well worn!

The stitching is ok but wavers a little bit and side by side you can see the 405s are a higher quality shoe.

However, the Diplomat is a pretty good feeling shoe, similar weight to the 405s, they seem to have a little more lining inside so are very comfortable feeling from new.

I ordered the Diplomats 1/2 size smaller than my 405 as they are slightly too big for me.

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Thursday Boot Co. Diplomat.

Post by Glenville86 »

I usually wear Red Wings but have a hard time breaking them in.

Bought my first Thursday Boots and they were great to wear. I used some pecards on them to tone down the shine they come with. They run slightly long for me but not enough to size down from a 12. They will make your feet sweat a little but not bad.

Since I liked the first pair, I ended up with all 3-models in brown. These are not what I would call a work or field boot by any means. They seem to be a cross between a dress boot and casual boot. I do wear them walking on the nature trails where I live with the dog and they do well. They can be worn with casual work clothes which I use them for as well.

For 199.00 USD and free shipping, I am happy with them.

Have never owned Aldens and cannot compare them.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for the side by side comparison shots.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I think their Natural Diplomat Boot (sold out) would be a closer match in color to the Alden shown in the thread pictures.

http://thursdayboots.com/collections/our-boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My personal preference is the brown but the natural looks good as well.
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

FYI, you can get the Thursday Boot Diplomats in their regular site. However, it shows sizes 7-8 are sold out: http://thursdayboots.com/products/brown-diplomat-boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I noticed a separate Thursday Boot Diplomat thread, and a couple other "close enough" threads. Can we consolidate these into one thread?
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Throwing these into the mix. Not sure if they have been mentioned before: Broken Homme - Davis (Brown)

http://www.brokenhomme.com/shop/boots/davis-boot/
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Modern sole, but digging the top on these Dr Marten Kameron Boots in Tan:

http://www.drmartens.com/us/Men%252527s ... p/15461220
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

clark.j.kent wrote:Modern sole, but digging the top on these Dr Marten Kameron Boots in Tan:

I like those. Especially because of the modern sole. I use almost all my gear here and there when I'm outdoors and a smooth bottomed $500 shoe is not conducive to a safe hike! These look tough and very Indy-like. Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

ChrisMD wrote:
clark.j.kent wrote:Modern sole, but digging the top on these Dr Marten Kameron Boots in Tan:

I like those. Especially because of the modern sole. I use almost all my gear here and there when I'm outdoors and a smooth bottomed $500 shoe is not conducive to a safe hike! These look tough and very Indy-like. Good find!

Just got a pair for effectively $30. Famous Footwear had them marked down and they have 15℅ off for spring. Then paying with Paypal I had funds from Redbubble sales so just paid the difference.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

clark.j.kent wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

Just got a pair for effectively $30. Famous Footwear had them marked down and they have 15℅ off for spring. Then paying with Paypal I had funds from Redbubble sales so just paid the difference.
Well done! Love the feeling of getting a smokin hot deal. Cant wait to hear how they are to wear.

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Got some BA Mason workboots. Got them for about $80. Very heavy:

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Very nice! Out of curiosity (I know, that killed the cat), can you get those boots at local store? Say Old Navy, or something?
And could you provide a pic of the soles? Thanks!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Here is a good review of the Diplomat:

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2014/10/thursd ... ot-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MattS
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: All of the

Post by MattS »

I tried on a pair of these today. Out of the box, they weren't very comfortable. They seemed to dig above my heel a bit, and there didn't seem to be much cushion in the step. I do think they will break-in nicely, however, I've worn Dr. Martens daily for many years, and they just aren't as comfortable out of the box as the many other docs I've owned. It's also worth noting that the tread depth is really shallow as well. I can say this PVC tread is very long lasting, and non-marking to boot!(love this stuff) I also found the amount of factory distressing seemed to vary quite a bit between boxes.

Overall, they're a pretty sharp looking boot, and I think I'll probably buy a pair.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

It says that the Brown Thursday Diplomat is sold out of the size 12's and 11.5. Are they going to restock or is this line of boots coming to an end?
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

baddates1 wrote:Very nice! Out of curiosity (I know, that killed the cat), can you get those boots at local store? Say Old Navy, or something?
And could you provide a pic of the soles? Thanks!
I think you can only get them on the BA Mason website.

soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Are the Thursday boots true to size?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I was actually wondering if they will ever restock all of the sold out sizes of the Brown Diplomat.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

baddates1 wrote:I was actually wondering if they will ever restock all of the sold out sizes of the Brown Diplomat.
I would contact the website selling them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I have with no answer. It may also be that it is the weekend, and I am too impatient :oops:
Sorry for being lazy :cry:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Should I jump on this deal or steer clear?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Work-Boots-Caro ... 1a002cf9aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Hard to say. They only give you one picture of the boot. It is a good price. If you do purchase them, you can let us know how they are. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Ditto. Hard to say. They are unlined both by description and from the photo. The leather looks a little thin to me, which might be an issue, but they are described as having a Goodyear welted sole suggesting they could be re-soled with something nicer than what they have.

They're not Aldens or Redwings, but they are about 1/5 the cost so it's kinda up to you whether you take a $60 risk.
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

No issues with my Dr Martens so far. So comfortable once they are broken in:

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Thanks. I'll probably steer clear.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

clark.j.kent wrote:No issues with my Dr Martens so far. So comfortable once they are broken in:

What kind of Dr. Martens are those?
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

giantthugee86 wrote:
They are called Kameron. Just replaced the laces with Chocolate 550 Paracord.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

clark.j.kent wrote:
giantthugee86 wrote:
They are called Kameron. Just replaced the laces with Chocolate 550 Paracord.
These ones?

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Pro ... adwordspla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I'm wearing my Clarks Newberns today, quite comfy. In my opinion these would be great for casual or office-wear, or for wearing around the house. I don't think they'd last long if you went out adventuring in them though; leave that to the Timberlands or Dr. Martens.

clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Photoss wrote:I'm wearing my Clarks Newberns today, quite comfy. In my opinion these would be great for casual or office-wear, or for wearing around the house. I don't think they'd last long if you went out adventuring in them though; leave that to the Timberlands or Dr. Martens.

Lookin good, and agree with the office wear. Actually wearing mine today too:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Anyone own a pair of Diplomats by Thursday Boot Company? I want to order but i'd like to know if these are durable or not.