Bullwhip makers in or near Orlando, FL

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Bullwhip makers in or near Orlando, FL

Post by Jeremiah »

Hi.
My name is Jeremiah. I have been wanting to try my hand at making a bullwhip for a long time. I found this place and it has been awesome reading everything in the past day.
I was just making this thread to ask, like the title reads, if there were any members here from the Orlando area who make or have made their own whips out of Kangaroo leather.
Please shoot me a pm if any here are willing to teach someone like me. I am more of a hands on learner and thought no harm in asking.
Thanks and still lots to read.
Jeremiah
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Re: Bullwhip makers in or near Orlando, FL

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Hey there, Jeremiah!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I did want to get you some info.

I've enjoyed whipmaking as a hobby, and have done so for many years... That said, I've only made maybe a few dozen. I'm in the Tampa area. I started with Leather, but switched to synthetics years ago. Can't say that I have a lot of free time of my own (which also helps explain why only a 'few dozen')... BUT I do know of at least one really solid whipmaker in the Orlando area--- That being Steve Koliski of 21st Century Whips (http://www.21stcenturywhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Steve works pretty much only with synthetics (paracord, Dacron)... But much of the knowledge is transferable.

I will also say that there's a whip enthusiast group over in the St. Pete area, the last I heard it meets on the third Sunday of the month. I make it when I can, and Steve is usually there as well as a few other makers. It's a good time had by all!

I don't know if anyone would take on an apprentice, as it were... But I know that there's plenty of nice, helpful folks that would probably answer just about any question you might have. Likewise, if you have any questions... I'd try to answer them, as well.

Here's a link to the website:
http://www.tampabay-whip-enthusiasts.com/1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm way overdue to make some new whips AND make it back to a TBWE meet... Maybe see you there!

Regards,
PyramidBlaster
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bullwhip makers in or near Orlando, FL

Post by Canasta »

Calvin Singo. Makes really great nylon whips.
I have a fantastic 18 ft one from him.
I think he is actually in Orlando, or close by.
You can find him on Facebook and ebay.

C