What leather was the original jacket made from?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What leather was the original jacket made from?

Post by LuckyLighter »

I don't know if this has been answered in other posts, but I'm really curious what the original, screen worn Raiders jacket was made from. It lools to me like goatskin, but I'm not exactly an afficianado on spotting leather. I'm sure Peter has talked about this, so if anyone knows what thread I should look in, or has the answer, I'd appreciate it.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

They were lambskin all three of them I believe.

From www.wested.com
The original Indy Jacket is handcrafted from the finest soft, authentic (seal) brown English lambskin.
Regards,
Swindy
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

I believe the original Rotla and Tod jackets were made of lamb. Some how I thought the LC jackets were cowhide.
Regards,
Forrestal
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm in the same camp with you regarding the 3 movies, Forrestal. I've heard yes and no regarding the LC jacket, but in watching the film, it just does not seem to drape and ride like the lambskin does....then again, with the weight of the cowhide, I'm sure it would have been miserable in the desert heat, so maybe there were two versions? Food for thought. Regards. Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I think I remember reading something about that they wanted it to look like cow but it wasn't practical or something. :-k I'll have to look that up though. :roll:

Regards,
Swindy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Please do. Due to the size of the LC collar and the flimsy nature of lambskin, the curl in the collar just doesn't seem likely to have occurred to me. They'd have to had made the collar several layers thick with lambskin to retain the infamous 'curl we see in the movie and photos. The cowhide, on the other hand, holds it quite nicely from the get go. Regards. Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I hope I didn't dream this as I didn't find the info where I thought it would be. :-k I'll let you know if I find it again. I probably will too as I tend to wear out web pages a lot when searching and visiting them again that way. COW is holding up pretty good though it seems. :lol:

The image of Indy in his jacket and someone talking about 'old and sturdy leather jacket made of cow or horse' keep coming to me, and that lamb would do the job better for the look on screen. Ah well, I'll blame it on the fact that I've just turned 25. 8)

Regards,
Swindiana
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well if no else will do it first I will: Happy Birthday Swindiana
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Turning into one of us 'senior citizens', eh? :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Indiana Croft wrote:Well if no else will do it first I will: Happy Birthday Swindiana
Thank you! :D :oops: <-- What actually happened.
Turning into one of us 'senior citizens', eh? Regards. Michaelson
Believe me, I'm practicing and looking forward to it. :wink: Me and my girlfriend have it all figured out too. Something along the lines of 'Straight Story'. :lol: And why is a story in itself too... :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Geez, 25 years old! It doesn’t look like anyone on this board is going to make it to usher in the new century. How depressing. ;)

Oops, I'm such a realist. I didn’t mean to bum you out. Happy 25th!!! :)
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

You never get bummed having this much fun! 8)

Thanks Rixter!

Regards,
Swindiana
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Happy Birthday Swindy!

How do they celebrate in Sweden?

(Here's a cheery thought...by the time you're my age, your jacket will look just right.)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Naturally distressed? (grins) Yep...I know ALL about that... :roll: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

HOW TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU PEOPLE?! THE JACKETS WERE VINYL! GOD ALMIGHTY YOU PEOPLE NEVER LISTEN! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Koreana Jones wrote:HOW TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU PEOPLE?! THE JACKETS WERE VINYL! GOD ALMIGHTY YOU PEOPLE NEVER LISTEN! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Manufactured by Members Only if I'm not mistaken
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Happy Birthday, Swindy! :tup:
I'm 25 as well...although soon to be 26...

Time for your quarter-life crisis!! :-) Enjoy the ride!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Jess wrote: Manufactured by Members Only if I'm not mistaken
People tell me that's what my US Wings Cotton Indy looks like. :roll:
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

Indiana Jess wrote:
Koreana Jones wrote:HOW TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU PEOPLE?! THE JACKETS WERE VINYL! GOD ALMIGHTY YOU PEOPLE NEVER LISTEN! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Manufactured by Members Only if I'm not mistaken
I had one of these in high school. I can only describe it as "SWELTERING" to wear, regardless of actual temperature.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Peter just emailed me that all jackets were made from lambskin, antique brass zips and D-rings, and that all hides are different, but a 'heavy lambskin' was never an option. Regards. Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Thanks for all the HB guys! :D

Hm... I've emailed Peter too regarding my jacket but haven't gotten an answer for 11 days. :?:

Regards,
Swindiana
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

to quote peter from "Type of Last Crusade Leather." post :

In the good old days when men were men and only shaved on Saturday nights before hitting the Town there was a tannery at Todmorden in Yorkshire, England called Turn Leathers.
The leather they produced was lambskin, not the soft supple skin of today but the thick stiff leather that could almost stand by itself in the corner.
The tanning was done in giant wooden vats and the skin pegged out to dry, not modern chemicals but oil from whales (now banned).
This tannery used to contract tan the english lamb/ sheep skins supplied by us and it was this leather was used in ALL of the Indy films, with the exception of a few TOD's we did not make.
Sadly Turn Leathers went to the wall and current tanners only have the modern machinery and systems designed to produce super fine skins, so we struggle to get back to that look.
Cheers
Peter