Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

CS Ford Specs / Advice For a Decision

Post by IndyRiv »

Hello everyone! :TOH:

Firstly, I'd like to apologize in advance if the first question has been answered in other threads. I haven't come across any definitive answer to it yet so decided to post it.

HF Specs for Crystal Skull

Much information is out there on the consensus specs for the Raiders jacket, but I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows and would be willing to provide me with a definitive (if possible) listing of specs for the Crystal Skull jacket in Ford's size. I understand that they weren't exactly the same as the Raiders jacket was due to cut, style, etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Advice On A Decision I'm Debating On

I've been really thinking lately of acquiring a jacket (a Nowak in point of fact) but the specs on it are not only too big for me but, more so, are too large for what I'd be using it for. The pricing is not bad for them and beats advertising for what I'm looking for which generally yields a higher price; however, to get them to HF specs (what I'm after) would mean having them altered by a leather alterator and that, ultimately, would mean cutting up the jacket. As such, I've never contemplated something like this before and am leery to take such a gamble to have it done by someone only to have them botch the job.

Has anyone ever had their jacket (Nowaks included) altered from a larger size to a smaller size before?
Also, does anyone know off-hand what something like that would cost, much less if it's a feasible thing to do?
Lastly, what are the risks and are they low or high-risks to do this?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to your replies. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

CS Ford Specs / Advice For a Decision

Post by lantzn »

When I bought my TN CS in jan of 2009 I asked Tony that question and he said the diagram on his website that shows you how to measure for a jacket was Ford's size for the CS jacket.
I think I have a screenshot of that and will look when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: CS Ford Specs / Advice For a Decision

Post by indydude18 »

IndyRiv,

I got these from another member:

"A->B Front Wind Flap 22.5~ inches (57cm) without Collarstand (1:1 Original HF CS)
C->D Chest Across 22.0~ inches (56cm) (1:1 Original HF CS)
E->F Bottom Across 21.0~ inches (53cm) (1:1 Original HF CS)
G->H Each Shoulder 7.5~ inches (19cm) (1:1 Original HF CS)
I->J Back Height 26~ inches (66cm) without Collarstand (1:1 Original HF CS)
K->L Back Across 20.5~ inches (52cm) (1:1 Original HF CS)
M->N Sleeve Length 26~ inches (66cm) (1:1 Original HF CS)"

Oh and you owe me a soda :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just complete, morbid curiousity on my part here.....are you the same size and body shape as HF?

If not, and you don't plan on using the jacket for a display piece, why do you want the specs to have this jacket made if the jacket is spec'd for Ford? :-k

Like I said, just curious as to the reasoning behind the pursuit of these specs.

You're not the first who's gone down this road. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

indydude18 wrote:You're not the first who's gone down this road.
I've gone down this road as well Michaelson. I purchased a TN Raiders in ~1:1 HF sizing and slimmed down to be able to fit comfortably in it. It's now my main riding jacket and I love it to death. Hey, at least I lost a couple pounds right?......right? :Plymouth:
_ wrote:That being said, TNO offers a CS in the screen specs. Sparks/Jackson sell them all the time as "production extras" on eBay for a couple grand - thus furthering their life of crime.
Speaking of which, there's one on there now :roll: Be careful guys
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Gentlemen,

Thank you ALL for your wonderful input! :TOH:
_ wrote:I'm curious too - it sounds like your trying to do something the hard way?
Michaelson wrote:Just complete, morbid curiousity on my part here.....are you the same size and body shape as HF?

If not, and you don't plan on using the jacket for a display piece, why do you want the specs to have this jacket made if the jacket is spec'd for Ford? :-k

Like I said, just curious as to the reasoning behind the pursuit of these specs.

You're not the first who's gone down this road. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
_ and Michaelson - no problem on getting your curiosity filled. I have no alterior motives behind this so am happy to answer your questions as best as I can. I've been working on compiling a CS outfit for a couple of years here now and have had a "possible" (depending on how things turn out) change of venue in now wanting the costume not only to portray CS but CS in HF's size. My plans are exactly that, Michaelson - for display purposes only. So I'd never have the intention of ever wearing the costume, just having it on display and I thought it'd be neat to show people it and give them the opportunity to stand in front of the costume and be in the same proportion as if they were standing in front of Ford himself.

As for the specs - I'm also, as much as possible, trying to stretch my dollar as far as it will go and thought that if I could get a bigger jacket for a really good price, and if it didn't cost much to alter it, I probably could get what I'm looking for less than what it costs to make the jacket new which I cannot justify financially at the present time (I have no objections to the price-tag of the Nowaks; just saying that the price is out of my range at the present).

So that, I hope, has answered your questions as best as I can and I hope I've showed no alterior motives behind this. Just thought it'd be neat to stand next to my collection and have the items in the same proportion as HF's. And depending on the cost of the alterations, I might be able to come out cheaper than I would buying a new one or getting lucky enough for someone to sell me theirs in a HF spec'd sizing (I wouldn't think many have ordered their jackets with that specific of an aim so would imagine not many out there).

If you have any more questions of me, please don't hesitate to ask. Oh... AND THANKS AGAIN! :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

indydude18 wrote:
indydude18 wrote: Speaking of which, there's one on there now :roll: Be careful guys
No where in that auction does it state that it was a production made jacket,... only that it is a Tony Nowak CS jacket....
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

You can't alter a larger leather jacket into a smaller one. The arm holes are already cut too large for instance.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyRiv wrote: My plans are exactly that, Michaelson - for display purposes only. So I'd never have the intention of ever wearing the costume, just having it on display and I thought it'd be neat to show people it and give them the opportunity to stand in front of the costume and be in the same proportion as if they were standing in front of Ford himself.
Then that makes perfect sense! :TOH:

The reason I wondered is I've seen folks who have done exactly the same thing, but with the intent to wear.....then a month or so later have seen the same jacket up for sale in the classified because it 'didn't fit'. :-s

Gee, I wonder why? :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Speaking of which, it's a cold, rainy morning here in Tennessee, and I'm waffling between wearing my TN CS or my G&B chrome goatkins.

Decisions, decisions...... :-k

;)
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

sorry for the light off topic, but, anyone knows how to contact Riley for the CS jacket possibility?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Michaelson wrote:Then that makes perfect sense! :TOH:

The reason I wondered is I've seen folks who have done exactly the same thing, but with the intent to wear.....then a month or so later have seen the same jacket up for sale in the classified because it 'didn't fit'. :-s

Gee, I wonder why? :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
_ wrote:We've had several claim up-n-down that "I am built exactly like Harrison Ford." They insist on ordering based on his specs. Then - as M states - it goes on the classifieds or eBay or they complain that the maker "didn't make it correctly."

Never understood buying a jacket you're not going to wear. Seems a waste. But again - its your dime. :TOH:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
Gentlemen,

Once again my thanks for your reply and input. :TOH:

I do understand where you're coming from and my reasoning was just that - for a display.

I can see your point _ about buying a jacket one's not going to wear and I thank you for being so understanding as to point out it's each person's money to deal with (no sarcasm intended or implied). I guess "I" see it as this - some people like to fully restore old jeeps, hot rods, etc. and put tens-of-thousands into them so that they can enjoy driving them all over the place and accept all the dings, scratches, fading, etc that comes with that; while others like to do the same so that they can enjoy and maintain it's pristine beauty and only drive it on special occassions, etc. Both have their own intentions in mind when buying/restoring the car and what will bring them happiness. Your happiness lies in buying the jacket to wear, break in, and sentimentalize (if I may use that word with no offense intended) with all the scrapes, rubs, etc that come with the wear over the years. Whereas my happiness lies in having it as part of a wardrobe display and I get my happiness, when it comes to something as beautiful as a Nowak, in that.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. If I have, please let me know and I'll rectify it. Just wanted to comment on the posts kindly and as logically as I could.

Thanks again to all! Your insight has been very valuable to me. :TOH:
Last edited by IndyRiv on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not offended what so ever myself. =;

Like I said, I was simply curious, and was hoping you weren't going down that dark path to disappointment like the others mentioned who thought they could wear Ford's specs when there was absolutely no way it would work or fit.

Nothing more.

Good luck! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Michaelson wrote:Not offended what so ever myself. =;

Like I said, I was simply curious, and was hoping you weren't going down that dark path to disappointment like the others mentioned who thought they could wear Ford's specs when there was absolutely no way it would work or fit.

Nothing more.

Good luck! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Thank you Michaelson! :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

"_ I thank you for being so understanding as to point out it's each person's money to deal with."

:rolling:
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

_,

Not at all sir. My intent is to commend you for even acknowledging that fact. I've come across many people who are, or get, angry at someone that uses their own money for their personal enjoyment. So when someone even acknowledges that fact, I want to take the time to briefly commend them for that. No offense was intended. :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

This is just so #### cool...
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

jnicktem wrote:
indydude18 wrote:
indydude18 wrote: Speaking of which, there's one on there now :roll: Be careful guys
No where in that auction does it state that it was a production made jacket,... only that it is a Tony Nowak CS jacket....
You're absolutely right, my mistake :TOH:
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Something I was just looking for here but cannot find - what the heck kind of leather is used for the Nowak CS jacket in the dang movie?!!!

Under GEAR there is no write up yet.... Weird.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

It was a special pre-distressed "vintage" cowhide. If memory serves Tony got it from a tannery in Italy. US Wings picked up the remainder of the leather and still advertises jackets made with cowhide from the same tannery.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Thanks!!! :)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

darthjones wrote:Under GEAR there is no write up yet.... Weird.
Sorry about that. To be honest it fell off my radar during all the "wars". The write-up became problematic once Bernie stopped communicating to the site after a member caused friction with Bernie.

We'll start reworking the CS jacket information soon.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

What the hooey?! Sorry to hear that. Friction with Bernie sounds unfortunate. I think I remember that kind of.

But a CS jacket write up would be fun to read whenever you get to it. I know a little bit about it from the web documentaries n' such but that's about it.

I remember some other dude out here too at one point who was saying that there was no gray hat in Raiders - even had people trying to "see" brown in those pictures. And then when Spielberg said, "oh yeah, we had a gray hat" (basically), those little hat wars stopped.

And that guy disappeared I guess.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Caused friction with Bernie...whoever you are,shame on you! [-X [-X "Don´t underestimate the Dark side of the Fandom" :D Well,anyhow it´s interesting to note that CS jacket would fit me...but the chest would be tight! 22 inches,I´d need at least 24" :-k