Differences between Wested Standard Raiders leathers..???

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Differences between Wested Standard Raiders leathers..???

Post by MARQ »

Just speculating,battle between leathers (if you like) ; if jackets are made from shrunken lamb,dark brown lamb and nubuck as Raiders Standard which one weighs the least plus "looks the part".As for shrunken lamb,it was a few years back when SL was first made available by Wested I liked the look so...is the leather still same quality as the first batch as I remember being stiff and...heavy? Views of these please..
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Differences between Wested Standard Raiders leathers..??

Post by Kt Templar »

The thing about the shrunken lamb is it is a bit like lamb+, it is still quite thin and when broken in goes nice and soft. But it has a more rugged look and feel and it not super smooth.

On a sliding scale where lamb is 1 and cow is 3.5 with goat at 5, then shrunken lamb is probably about 2-2.5 weight wise? JMO
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Unless you can measure the actual weight, it really is all subjective. I've had leathers that i thought were heavy but others reported as being heavy so if you want others opinions, you have to consider the experience and how close it is to you. .... For example, I live in a hot and humid part of South Texas so, for me, the Dark Brown Lamb is the perfect weight. The shrunken lamb is justa bit heavier but still managable.
Having followed the Wested shrunken lamb from the beginningi believe that there have been several variations as Wested searched for the best option. Some people resourced jackets that looked great but were stiff and had heavy color variation while others were soft and even color tone. I think the current offering is their final version of what they felt would be the best offering.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

They´re similar in weight OK and yet DBL is still lighter in weight :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The older batch of SL was slightly on the heavy side for lamb, and stiff, until broken in. Probably that aspect of it was much like the film jacket. Had it been a darker color, it would have been a home run.

I have a jacket from the newest batch and the skin was tanned darker, has more rusty undertones, and is very soft out of the box. Weight wise, its about the same, maybe slightly lighter. In terms of just the skin, and not in comparison to the film jacket, its amazing leather. Some of the best I'd ever received from the barn.

See the review: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Dang that jacket reviewed, it´s my size too, a 44!