COYLES Shirt Warning

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

COYLES Shirt Warning

Post by RayROnline »

I love TODDS stuff. I have 8 Coyles shirts and I wear them a lot as everyday shirts.

That said I have discovered a serious problem with the latest batch. I will note that I think the latest are his best color and cut so far, with only the buttons being too pearly. Now, I always have my shirts laundered. Just cleaned and pressed, no starch. I have had these laundered for many years, always in fact. I have never had a problem with any ones Indy shirt doing this until now. (see photo)

See the tips of the collar? This is not a burn as it seams, but is adhesive (glue) melting through during pressing. I had this happen with 2 linnen shirts years ago and I thought it was a burn so I changed cleaners. This happened to my new edition TODDS, so I bought another one.

This is the "other" one :(

The glue melts through during pressing. Me cleaners explained this detail. The sad part is I am about to have another shirt ruined that I dropped off the other day (before getting this one back). I won't buy any more until there is a new batch. If you own this shirt I strongly suggest that you DO NOT have it pressed!

It is still a wonderful shirt, just don't "press your luck"

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: COYLES Shirt Warning

Post by Adventure Dog »

Woah! Huge bummer! I've heard of people removing wax from shirts using an iron, any chance you can coax out the glue with an iron? I am speaking from zero experience of glue and clothing of course.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Adventure Dog wrote:Woah! Huge bummer! I've heard of people removing wax from shirts using an iron, any chance you can coax out the glue with an iron? I am speaking from zero experience of glue and clothing of course.
I doubt it. The cleaners took it back (first time) and tried their best, but no love. It is not just a spot, it is solid, like dried glue. Its inside the layers.
If someone figures out a solution, please let me know! Meanwhile, I have 2 more garage/yard work shirts.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

That's probably why Indy never had his shirts (or anything else) pressed. ;)

Still, sorry for you that this happened.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Ok! Perhaps, I am just stupid here -- but what glue? I have never heard of shirts having glue in them. Is this an 'add-on,' if you will to keep the stiches in place? Or what? I have ironed my shirts from Todd's before and never run across this issue, or with any other shirt -- expensive, or otherwise, and found this problem. Seriously, please provide an answer for me here, as this is the first time I have ever heard of glue being used in shirts. Thanks, in advance. W>
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

WConly wrote:Ok! Perhaps, I am just stupid here -- but what glue? I have never heard of shirts having glue in them. Is this an 'add-on,' if you will to keep the stiches in place? Or what? I have ironed my shirts from Todd's before and never run across this issue, or with any other shirt -- expensive, or otherwise, and found this problem. Seriously, please provide an answer for me here, as this is the first time I have ever heard of glue being used in shirts. Thanks, in advance. W>
I had never heard of it either. I am sharing the reason I was given(by the manager at the cleaners) for my 2 new TODDS (and previously 2 nice linen white) shirts did this. The linen shirts also did this on the cuff tips. I was told there is some form of adhesive that responded to the heat during pressing.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

eh..i just throw my TODDS in the washer and dryer..not issues other than losing a couple buttons.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Is this just a hot pressing or could it be something with the chemicals used in the dry cleaning process?? Very strange that there would be glue in the collar points...
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

"interfacing", a gauzy material often inserted in collars and cuffs between the layers of fabric, can be adhered using adhesives. Thats probably what this is.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:"interfacing", a gauzy material often inserted in collars and cuffs between the layers of fabric, can be adhered using adhesives. Thats probably what this is.
Ok...I'll buy this. This makes sense. I didn't consider the 'interfacing' possibility, however I still find it odd for this to occur. W>
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

It appears that the collar stays melted.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Bruce Wayne wrote:It appears that the collar stays melted.
Well, that makes sense.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

So I guess that means do not press your Todd shirts!
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Charybdis wrote:So I guess that means do not press your Todd shirts!

At least not the newest version. I've had others for years with no issues. But, hey, it's your money...
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Have you contacted Todd about this issue? I'm sure he would be interested - he could inform potential customers not to press this latest batch of shirts after washing ( at least around the collar ).
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Bruce Wayne wrote:It appears that the collar stays melted.
There are no collar stays on the todds shirt.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Ray, I've never heard of this problem. I really don't have any idea what would melt inside the collar, unless it is a fusible interfacing. Contact us by email and we'll be glad to replace the shirt.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

well Ray if face melting is possible, then maybe the shirt just got too close to the ark? :Dietrich:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Texan Scott wrote:well Ray if face melting is possible, then maybe the shirt just got too close to the ark? :Dietrich:
:shock: ! Ouch! Tooooo! Too close to reality here :rolling: ! However, I am quite certain that Ray, is not quite satisfied with this for an answer, however the good news is Todd (being Todd) will replace the shirt. Got to tell you though -- this one still seems weird/strange, to me! One would think that with all the stuff I have had over the years (Indy, or not) that I would have run across this, at some point, but I have not to date. And, Lord knows I have ordered and/or purchased a bunch of stuff in my life. This one (and his other's, mentioned) truly baffles my mind! W>