Close enough walking shoes/boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Hey all im looking for some close enoughs that are comfortable and functional enough to put some serious mileage in. I really cant spend $400 on shoes. I mean, I could but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I coulda gotten so many other things with that money. Do any of you know of some similar colored boots I could pass off? At Disney I'll need something comfortable enough to not kill my feet but still look decent. I was thinking dark brown Timberlands? Never had any, are they comfy? I appreciate the help. Perhaps I shouldnt have waited until the last minute.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Close enough walking shoes/boots

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Give this thread a gander.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ough+boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Timberland is a good brand of lace-up and you can usually find a good deal on the 'bay or Amazon.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Im LOVING these. Dark brown, or red brown...

Timberland Men's Earthkeepers Original Chukka Boot,Red Brown,12 M US
http://amzn.com/B00BB7C48W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IJ, that thread was my inspiration for this one. My main concern is comfort for a full day of walking. That one seems more concerned with appearance. But it led me to discover the link I shared above. They look pretty good IMO what do you think?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In fact I have a pair of earth keepers in the 6" lace up model.
Here they are with 8 hours of Petra dust on them.

They are as comfortable as house slippers now, but they did have a break-in period.

Depending on when your Disney trip is, any brand new shoe/boot right out of the box will not be comfortable for a day of walking in the park.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:In fact I have a pair of earth keepers in the 6" lace up model.
Here they are with 8 hours of Petra dust on them.

They are as comfortable as house slippers now, but they did have a break-in period.

Depending on when your Disney trip is, any brand new shoe/boot right out of the box will not be comfortable for a day of walking in the park.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Ill be breaking them in alot before the trip. I plan to wear them as often as I can. They look really awesome. How is the sizing? I normally wear a 12 tennis shoe. Also what color?
Last edited by ChrisMD on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I ordered my regular 9.5 and they are comfortable. Plenty of room in the toe box. I can wear them with a thicker pair of wool socks if I want/need to.

Looking at the current colors offered on the Timberland site I'd say I got them in the Red Brown Burnished, but I don't remember them looking that red when I got them. I suppose the color is pretty close to to the tops of the boots in my picture.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I ordered my regular 9.5 and they are comfortable. Plenty of room in the toe box. I can wear them with a thicker pair of wool socks if I want/need to.

Looking at the current colors offered on the Timberland site I'd say I got them in the Red Brown Burnished, but I don't remember them looking that red when I got them. I suppose the color is pretty close to to the tops of the boots in my picture.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

I imagine the "red brown" with a coat of treatment will darken up nicely and be just about perfect.

I really appreciate the help!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ordered! Thanks gents!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

WOW these boots are absolutely the most comfortable piece of footwear Ive ever put on right out of the box. I ordered a 12 which is my normal boot and shoe size. I pretty much bounce between 11.5-12, with cowboy boots being my only major deviation (10.5). Like yours Jeff, they have plenty of room in the toe box. Almost look a tad big but everywhere in the boot fits well aside from an inch or so in the toe box. Being that I have somewhat wide feet I believe 11.5 would be snug in bad spots my heels sit perfectly and they lace up great, nice and tight like Indy's Aldens. 11.5 wouldnt be able to do that. These are killer boots. Gents, once again many thanks!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ok so here they are mid-pecard, and post-pecard. Sorry for the poor quality cell pictures. They just dont do them justice. I highly recommend these. Incredibly comfortable.

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Look great!! What's pants are they?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I guess you're asking about my pants. Those were a pair I had made at a local tailor with some cavalry twill fabric I found online.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thrall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thrall »

ChrisMD wrote:Ordered! Thanks gents!
I am aware that this was a 2013 post. But if someone looking for the "look" but with world class walking in mind, try out Rockport Rocksport for under $100. Rockport noted for being a "walkers" shoe. Mine are fantastic. More at

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=62051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boots for urban exploration
  • Received prior to my Scandinavian adventure, my order for Rockport Sport in Tann Brittann V75329. Good walking shoes required. These high top leather shoes are lighter than low top basketball shoes. Under $100.

Walking nearly all day for past five days. These are fantastic walking shoes, and look great. Perfect for my urban exploration purpose. Close to "the look" but far from 1970s era work-boots.