Alternative Shoulder Bags

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I used to use the mark VII bags years ago when I worked in forestry and they were indestructible especially when treated. I didn't like smelly hands from the metal strap ends or how easily everything fell out when thrown in the back of a pickup. It was a workhorse.. Now I use notepads and accessories for surveying, site work, cables and what not.

I saw these bags in a market and thought to share. They're largely 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton. They're soft to the touch and well made. There are a few satchel / gas mask style bags and once I decide on one shall buy and share. I like Indy's style, but I'm not Indy so I use the bits I can use everyday and build on that to suit. Hope you find them interesting.

Sativa Bags
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Alternative Shoulder Bags

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I picked up one of these from E-bay. Good deal for the right price. Decent size. Different color choices.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Mens-Can ... 19e5fd44e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This isn't an auction, just a buy-it-now kinda deal so I'm posting the link.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

erikgunnlugson wrote:I picked up one of these from E-bay. Good deal for the right price. Decent size. Different color choices.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Mens-Can ... 19e5fd44e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This isn't an auction, just a buy-it-now kinda deal so I'm posting the link.
Those are Chinese knockoffs of the Italian made Belstaff Colonial bags that were discontinued a couple of years ago when the current "fashionista" owners group headed by Tommy Hilfiger bought the brand.

Based on the dimensions that one is intended to copy the smaller Model 556, which a lot of people prefer. The 554 is a couple of inches wider at 16".

Depending on the construction, thickness of the leather straps and whether they used magnetic clasps for the bag closures that's not a bad price.

Carbon2Cobalt is currently marketing a similar bag made by Bed Stu bags for $129. Their site just says "imported" as far as origin goes, so for all I know they come out of the same factory in China.

Although I have several originals, I got suckered into buying one of the Chinese knockoffs advertised as original Belstaffs a few years back. The canvas and stitching itself is not bad, but the bag has a funny zippered lining and the leather straps are nowhere near the same quality or thickness. If you really want one the originals pop up on eBay occasionally, although they usually run 10X what these are advertised for.
Thrall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thrall »

Practical for real adventure travel. Not SA
Pacsafe Luggage Metrosafe 200 Gii Shoulder Bag, Jungle Green. $68 on "big river"
What I use when going about the world.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Ooo, I like that pacsafe bag. Modern take on the MkVII. The security features are a nice touch and the full size luggage pieces look like they could take some abuse.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

These http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/produc ... aversacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; were all the rage when I was university for those of us who shopped at army surplus stores and not at the fancy ones... and for the money, I doubt you will find a better close-enough bag. I had my dad's old bag when I was a teen, and that thing was unkillable! I'm not sure the ones you will find made today are of the same quality canvas, but that old bag was tough man! I think it was a WW II or just post-war bag. It may have been used partly as a rear saddle bag for bicycles (I know the British had one such bag). Not sure if he got his in a hunting goods store (very possible...), so that might be a place to look too on top of the internet and army surplus...
Cheers!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Canuck Digger wrote:These http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/produc ... aversacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; were all the rage when I was university for those of us who shopped at army surplus stores and not at the fancy ones... and for the money, I doubt you will find a better close-enough bag. I had my dad's old bag when I was a teen, and that thing was unkillable! I'm not sure the ones you will find made today are of the same quality canvas, but that old bag was tough man! I think it was a WW II or just post-war bag. It may have been used partly as a rear saddle bag for bicycles (I know the British had one such bag). Not sure if he got his in a hunting goods store (very possible...), so that might be a place to look too on top of the internet and army surplus...
Cheers!
am i reading it wrong on that site or are they really 6.24$ for the states?
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

That's what I'm reading as well. Honestly it doesn't seem right to me, even in the early 90's it was more than that. But it's up there so they sort have to honor that price...
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

I'll drop into their sister store on the way home and check the price. FCS, KW Surplus, Cambridge Surplus all have some really good deals.
These "World Famous" bags are tough as ####, very heavy weave. I've used them for years to drag parts and tools up construction cranes, down into mines, and other very inhospitable places.

B
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Yup, $6.99 for the large bag, $5.99 for the smaller ones. Comes in Olive, black and cream.

B
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Looks similar to the basic British Pattern 37 web haversack. The Mk VII gas mask bag was part of this web kit, so yes, it's a perfect "big brother" alternative to what Indy carried. I don't know what this one looks like on the back, but I have an original WWII haversack that I use often when the Mk VII just isn't big enough. It's still tough as nails al these decades later.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Saw these today- 3 surplus Italian military shoulder bags for $15.29. Might be a decent substitute bag...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1909506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not even close to SA, but anyone remember these? You can still find 'em online:

http://scottcadams.com/bananarepublic/i ... briefcase/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That's an awesome looking bag CK! Put a leather bag strap on it and it'd be a great satchel. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Cajunkraut wrote:Not even close to SA, but anyone remember these? You can still find 'em online:

http://scottcadams.com/bananarepublic/i ... briefcase/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep. Still have the one I bought from BR in 1984. And it is a great little bag.

I did put a leather strap on it at one time, but unfortunately they are too wide for it to work right.

The Linen and Leather "Linea Viaggio" shoulder bag that BR sold in the same era is a better bet if you can find one. :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

A little pricier than most of the other options out there, but for those with a disposable income looking for an urban bag that can be used in any professional setting, Ernest Alexander makes some fantastic bags that certainly have an Indy-vibe going. I'm a big fan personally, and you can't go wrong with their khaki waxed cotton.

http://www.ernestalexander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SonofJoker
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SonofJoker »

Canuck Digger wrote:These http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/produc ... aversacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; were all the rage when I was university for those of us who shopped at army surplus stores and not at the fancy ones... and for the money, I doubt you will find a better close-enough bag. I had my dad's old bag when I was a teen, and that thing was unkillable! I'm not sure the ones you will find made today are of the same quality canvas, but that old bag was tough man! I think it was a WW II or just post-war bag. It may have been used partly as a rear saddle bag for bicycles (I know the British had one such bag). Not sure if he got his in a hunting goods store (very possible...), so that might be a place to look too on top of the internet and army surplus...
Cheers!
Just checked the link and the bags are only $5.82 in US dollars currently. A pretty sweet deal. :whip:
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »