NeverWet™ Could this be the answer?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

NeverWet™ Could this be the answer?

Post by Arch Stanton »

This morning I read about this new product just released. From the demonstration in the video I can't really see any reason why it couldn't work on fur felt. The stuff almost seems too good to be true. Take a few minutes and watch this demonstration video. I guess they're partnered with Rust-Oleum and you can get the stuff at Home Depot for about 20 bucks. What do you all think? Just imagine water rolling right off your lid, even after being entirely submerged in water. :whip: Though I'm wondering if it would mess with the pouncing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

http://www.neverwet.com/
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: NeverWet™ Could this be the answer?

Post by BendingOak »

I've seen this a little while ago, It's not out yet. I have been in contact with them to get a sample amount sent to me. I'll make a couple test runs and I'll let you know.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

im sure most people here have a beat up hat..figured someone would try this by now..I think its been talked about now for a while??
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Reviews on the Home Depot website say it leaves a white or grey "film" and does not completely prevent moisture penetration on porous material.

I would be very cautious about treating a $475-$650 beaver felt hat with it.

I may try it out on something I don't care about to see, but since it almost never rains where I live I think I'll probably take my chances staying unprotected.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Similar product discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I was thinking, what the big deal with your hat getting wet? Let it dry and put it on again. That's what we all have been doing for as long as we've been wearing hats. Seems to work fine. ;)

Gailen :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Never saw the other thread.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

trdaggers wrote:I was thinking, what the big deal with your hat getting wet? Let it dry and put it on again. That's what we all have been doing for as long as we've been wearing hats. Seems to work fine. ;)

Gailen :TOH:
That thought crossed my mind as well. Water is no issue to someone with a beaver fur-felt hat. My AB has been through a lot of rain storms with no ill-effect. Now we all know that rabbit is a different story. Are water repellents specifically made for hats not good enough? I've had no problem with Scout water repellent on my Fed IV. :-k
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I'd never seen the product but the video sure makes it look remarkable. Maybe it is as good as they say. It might be worth the purchase for the toilet brush alone :-0
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Water doesn't worry me for beaver or rabbit.

The stain repellency is intriguing, but as I mentioned in the other thread, if the product won't let water in it stands to reason it won't let water out and sweat will just build up on the inside. :-0

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

indy89 wrote: That thought crossed my mind as well. Water is no issue to someone with a beaver fur-felt hat. My AB has been through a lot of rain storms with no ill-effect. Now we all know that rabbit is a different story. Are water repellents specifically made for hats not good enough? I've had no problem with Scout water repellent on my Fed IV. :-k

Good point, Steve Delk has said he's been perfectly satisfied with regular old Scotchguard for years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
indy89 wrote: That thought crossed my mind as well. Water is no issue to someone with a beaver fur-felt hat. My AB has been through a lot of rain storms with no ill-effect. Now we all know that rabbit is a different story. Are water repellents specifically made for hats not good enough? I've had no problem with Scout water repellent on my Fed IV. :-k

Good point, Steve Delk has said he's been perfectly satisfied with regular old Scotchguard for years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

That's not completely true. The stuff. That Steve and I use is much, much better then scotchguard. Scotchguard changes the feel of the hat. Your information is a little out of date.

No hat is 100% water proof. Every hat will shrink or tapper if the core gets soak. if this new product works like it looks like it does. Yes it would keep water or anything from staining the hat which is fantastic but I don't think the sweating would be a problem as the inside of the hat wouldn't be coated. You could seat a little and the hat would behave the same way. It's not like you sweat and the sweat goes though the hat. You would have to be sweating a lot and it would leave stains like crazy. If you were sweating that hard you would be wearing a summer time hat.

I rather not poo poo the product without actually trying it out. There is one way to find out for sure. When I get my sample I will put it though some test and I will let you guys and dolls know the results. This way no need to risk their hats.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

BendingOak wrote: I rather not poo poo the product without actually trying it out. There is one way to find out for sure. When I get my sample I will put it though some test and I will let you guys and dolls know the results. This way no need to risk their hats.
Please do. I have been wondering how this would work on a cotton trench coat that I have.

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

BendingOak wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

That's not completely true. The stuff. That Steve and I use is much, much better then scotchguard. Scotchguard changes the feel of the hat. Your information is a little out of date.

No hat is 100% water proof. Every hat will shrink or tapper if the core gets soak. if this new product works like it looks like it does. Yes it would keep water or anything from staining the hat which is fantastic but I don't think the sweating would be a problem as the inside of the hat wouldn't be coated. You could seat a little and the hat would behave the same way. It's not like you sweat and the sweat goes though the hat. You would have to be sweating a lot and it would leave stains like crazy. If you were sweating that hard you would be wearing a summer time hat.

I rather not poo poo the product without actually trying it out. There is one way to find out for sure. When I get my sample I will put it though some test and I will let you guys and dolls know the results. This way no need to risk their hats.

Thanks John, I'd really like to see how this turns out :tup:

:TOH:
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

i'm not afraid of getting my hat wet. It's just those darn birds im afraid of, wanting to use my hat as a target practice.
This product seems to be the way to go for me to tell the birds "ha! in your face!"

CJ
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:i'm not afraid of getting my hat wet. It's just those darn birds im afraid of, wanting to use my hat as a target practice.
This product seems to be the way to go for me to tell the birds "ha! in your face!"

CJ
I have nightmares about birds, haha! :[
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

jlee562 wrote:
Chiliana Jones wrote:i'm not afraid of getting my hat wet. It's just those darn birds im afraid of, wanting to use my hat as a target practice.

CJ
I have nightmares about birds, haha! :[
Same here, fellas :o I am always very cautious when I come upon a cluster of old bird droppings on sidewalks, and always look up to make sure there's no birdies ready to unload as I pass :D Bird poop doesn't seem like an easy thing to clean off of a felt hat. I hope I will never know how difficult it might be :CR:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

When I was working on a dig in Belize the walkway above our lab where we had to catalog the day's finds was being concreted... I heard a drop on my hat. I was never so disappointed that a bird HADN'T pooped on my hat. :(
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

i've heard that the best thing to do when dealing with bird droppings on clothes is to let it dry (don't try to wipe it off!! it will only make things worse!) and then you crack it and scrape it off

CJ
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

BendingOak wrote:I rather not poo poo the product without actually trying it out. There is one way to find out for sure. When I get my sample I will put it though some test and I will let you guys and dolls know the results. This way no need to risk their hats.
So....any news?¿?¿?¿
Very interested.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

still waiting for them to get back to me. I will post updates as I have them.
Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Banky »

John,

Neverwet is available already in stores. We have it sitting in the shop right now. We haven't tried it on any hats yet because we just got it and it says right on the package it dries to a milky film on fabrics/leather. Also, I feel it important to mention we don't have high hopes for this product. If you read the reviews in the link you'll see why.

This is what we picked up:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-S ... |Rustoleum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I did not know that. Thanks for posting. Then I really don't care if they get back to me because it will not do for felt. Oh well. I still have the best water repellent on the market. Was hoping to help people out on testing on bodies I have just laying around that didn't make the grade to become a penman hat.

Thanks again for the heads up. Does save me on a lot of work.
Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Banky »

Oh yeah, we were stoked here in the shop when we saw the video. My boss still thinks it might have an application for our straws. But yeah, based on what we've read and it seems supported by the reviews it'll have no application in felt hats. We might spray down a couple wool Broners we have sitting around the shop just to have a look.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

After looking at it again. I think I will swing by homedepot and give it a shot. Stay tuned gear heads.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's a test site that tried this stuff out. Interesting results....and more interesting 'after effects' after application.

http://gizmodo.com/neverwet-review-the- ... -812797429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Michaelson wrote:Here's a test site that tried this stuff out. Interesting results....and more interesting 'after effects' after application.

http://gizmodo.com/neverwet-review-the- ... -812797429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
I keep getting an internal server error?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Interesting. I just clicked on the link and it works fine for me. :-k
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

"Chalky white gunk" that "looks like someone vomited white paint onto your belongings," and "smells like dead brain cells," that "starts flaking off after 10 minutes" and then coats your hands with an unpleasant residue that takes 8 washings to remove to the point the user doesn't feel soiled.

I'll stick with letting my hats dry the old fashioned way, thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. I don't think they were impressed. :-k

:lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chalky white gunk? :-k

So, it's water proof and provides its own fuller's earth?

Sounds like a win-win to me :lol:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Like the man said . . .

"You go first."

8)
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

I know this thread is old and I'm sure most everyone knows by now, but just in case here's a PSA on NeverWet. Do not use this stuff! It will absolutely make your items liquid proof, but you will be left with a chalky white film and the fabric will be hard/crunchy to the touch. I've tried it on a cheap pair of canvas slip-ons and old suede shoes. Both results were the same ill effects. I had to toss them both. Again, stay away... unless you want a chalky crunchy item.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thank you for confirming what we suspected, though I'm sorry you took such a 'hit' for team. :(

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Yeah, that's disappointing and sorry to hear you had to sacrifice to find out.
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

No worries. I was too curious to not try it out. I was sort of expecting the film, but the added crunchy feeling was a big surprise. It's better it was on my old shoes than people's nice hats. ^_^
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

they came out with a new NeverWet for fabric..is that the one you used?
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

No my experiment was done back when there was only one type. I suppose I could try this new fabric version for everyone and see how it works.