New jacket care link from USW

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

New jacket care link from USW

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.uswings.com/take-care-leather-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's their recommendations they posted yesterday.

Regards! Michaelson
Thrall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: New jacket care link from USW

Post by Thrall »

Michaelson wrote:http://www.uswings.com/take-care-leather-jacket/
Regards! Michaelson
Thank you for the link.
Scotch-Guard?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

This will come in handy...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thrall wrote:
Michaelson wrote:http://www.uswings.com/take-care-leather-jacket/
Regards! Michaelson
Thank you for the link.
Scotch-Guard?
They used to make a leather protector and I've used it with success. I haven't seen it for a while, though, so I don't know if it's still available in all areas. :-k

Regards! M
Thrall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thrall »

I purchased a spray can of Kiwi "Boot Protector." "Tough silicone protection for work and outdoor boots."

Applied three coats, allowing to dry between coats. Applied both on my new Rockport high-top Sport boots and my new USW leather Indy jacket. No apparent discoloration.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've never personally been a fan of silicone sealants myself, as they do indeed totally seal (definition: close all pores of the leather) and makes the leather water AND air tight.

It works, but it tends to make the garment a bit warmer than usual, as the leather can no longer 'breathe'.

JMO, though. Some folks love it.

Regards! M
Thrall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thrall »

Michaelson wrote:I've never personally been a fan of silicone sealants myself, as they do indeed totally seal (definition: close all pores of the leather) and makes the leather water AND air tight.

It works, but it tends to make the garment a bit warmer than usual, as the leather can no longer 'breathe'.
JMO, though. Some folks love it.
Regards! M
Reasonable concern. Thanks.

I reside in a subtropical climate - lots of rain. And will use my new USW leather jacket and new Rocksport leather boots as primary wear on my travels. The USW website reads "Because unprotected leather is susceptible to water spotting and/or staining, we recommend the use of a water and stain protector."

The product description: "... bonds to leather, ..., to create an extremely tough water barrier, while still allowing materials to breathe."

It has performed satisfactorily on my leather motorcycle gear. There are a variety of formulas used in these products. I'll update after experience.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: