Any experience with Wested Horsehide?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Any experience with Wested Horsehide?

Post by brentmorris »

I've just found out about this forum and I'm trying to buy my first Indy jacket and want something that will last forever, age well, and not be tremendously stiff. Does anyone have any thoughts on Wested horsehide? Is it stiff? Is it a good color for an Indy? I know it's generally strong, but the horsehide motorcycle jacket I have (different maker) is really rigid, like armor, and I'm not sure I want that for an Indy.

Also is the Bazaar just the classifieds? (I feel really dumb asking that but everyone keeps referring to it)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Any experience with Wested Horsehide?

Post by knibs7 »

Welcome! The HH is a good hide, not too stiff. Definitely a good color choice for a Last Crusade jacket and it will last a long time. And yes the Bazaar is the classifieds.

:TOH:

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

FYI, you won't see the classifieds until you've participated in enough posts here. This is to persuade new members to be more active and become a real member of this community. You'll see the classified section in due course.

Welcome!

Regards! Michaelson
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

Thank you all for the information! I'm glad to be here. I've just found out about this forum and the fact that I could buy an Indiana jacket from the source within the last couple of weeks. I feel so behind. Reading through the forum I feel like I've missed out on some really great stuff.

From the way it sounds I think I'm leaning HH. I know it's strong from my experience and if it's not stiff then that sounds like a pretty solid choice.

You said it would make a good LC jacket; is it acceptable for RotLA too? It doesn't have to be 100% SA just close enough to make me feel awesome. :D

...hey I think I'm getting all the terminology down \:D/
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ya, it will make a good ROTLA jacket. I just specifically mentioned LC because it has that reddish undertone.

Kyle
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

knibs7 wrote:Ya, it will make a good ROTLA jacket. I just specifically mentioned LC because it has that reddish undertone.

Kyle
Thanks! One more question: I've been reading through the forums and it seems like in the past the HH might have been too thick and was popping stitches. Is that still an issue? Because something is only as good as its weakest part, so if it is, a better option might be goat or cowhide. Sorry to bother but I just want to get it right and have a jacket that I'll enjoy for years.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I had one of their (Wested) first horse hide offerings! It was a great hide -- very pliable and very strong -- very durable. Neat 'reddish' tint to it! The only problem I had with it was I didn't particularly like the collar (it was an LC styling), however they (Wested) have gotten the collars much better in recent years. But since this is about the hide -- I cannot say anything other then it was one heck of a hide! Very nice. Wore the jacket hard, and in all weather conditions -- it always held up and never showed the wear it had, in the process! I have no knowledge of their current horse hide offerings, but if they are like the past -- they will handle just about anything. Not stiff, good drape and superb quality (one mine, anyway)! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just one more remark, since we don't know where you live, keep in mind that HH is heavy so if you live in the South or 'Southern climes', you will be limited to how long you'll be able to wear your jacket each year. They're can be 1.5 to 2 season jackets unless you live further North.

Regards! Michaelson
fateoftheduck
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fateoftheduck »

I have a Wested horsehide from 2010 that was listed as 'Heavy Duty Horsehide' (I believe there have been other types, the 'Warm Brown' that Holt's LC is made from looks better in my opinion.) Mine is dark brown with the reddish undertone mentioned. It started stiff, shiny and flat but over time has become supple, losing the shine of course. You notice with the pockets, especially, how the leather loosens up from its flat start. It's tough and I love it. The only drawback is that the grain on it is so small that to the normal observer, it can look a little plastic. This may change with further wearing in (I haven't worn it constantly since 2010 as I rotate several jackets and have not purposely distressed it). Also, it is thicker and heavier than the screen jackets, so you would not be getting the right look in motion, if that matters to you.
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

Thanks! Between Michaelson's and your comments, since I do want to wear it as much as possible I guess I should go with goat since it's lighter but still strong. I know my motorcycle jacket gets miserable when it's warmer here in Georgia. Now, I guess I just gotta get these measurements down. I wish I could just pop in to the store.
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

Also does anyone know if I order a 26 inch back length on my Hero Jacket is it going to be 26 inches at the base or will it be longer? Wested hasn't answered either of my emails. Help would be tremendously appreciated.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Are you really tall? 26" on a hero would probably work best if you're 6'4"or so. I'm 6'1" and I go with about 24" in a hero. The collar is lower so the jacket wears longer than other versions.
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

I'm 6'3 but my torso is pretty long. Jackets that I really like the fit on are about 27-28 inches long.
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

Okay I placed my order. I went with goat. My wife said the thought of horse leather made her sad. :roll: So I went with the goat and remembered to keep my mouth shut about my motorcycle jacket already being made from horse. :-$ I wonder what she'd say about kangaroo leather? Anyway thank you all for the help. It's much appreciated. :notworthy:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You're in Georgia? Good choice. :M: :tup:

I'm in South Central Tennessee right against the Alabama border, and the only time I get to wear my HH Indy is when it's below 55 degrees....and you know how often THAT is down here. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I've gotta second Michaelson's approval on the hide. HH would have been great but you would've never really gotten to wear it where you are. :TOH:

P.S. Save Flick'a ;) :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
brentmorris
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by brentmorris »

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it in. I hope it fits well. Also the second I see how it fits I'm gonna place an order for that cloth Indy too! I'm hoping this doesn't become too big of a habit. :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Unfortunately, you're not among folks who will try to assure you it will not. It would be an out and out lie. :[

;)