Bill Kelso vs Wested fit

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Bill Kelso vs Wested fit

Post by knibs7 »

For all you BK owners out there, can you tell me how the fit is compared to Wested? I wear a 42 in Wested, so I want to know if I should order the same in the BK or if they fit bigger or smaller than Wested.

Thanks!

:TOH:

Kyle
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bill Kelso vs Wested fit

Post by Duck9000 »

If you're not in a hurry, I can help. I already have a Wested, 42 Hero Raiders and a Standard BK 42 Relic Hunter Cairo on its way to me.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

IMO the Kelso fits bigger than the Wested.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I second that IMO...Wested is a tad more "fitted" than the Kelso...especially in the underam side waist area.....I`m sure its pattern orientated and its very slight but you can definitely tell.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I think you should treat the BK like a TN. With Wested custom jackets, you give them 3 measurements: back chest and sleeves. A BK is more like a TN in that they take several different measurements, so the possibility is there to get a better fit. Take advantage of the more tailored fit, you're paying a premium for this jacket. Find one that fits you best and make modifications accordingly, shoulder seam, front, back, etc.
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Per Andy, some of the measurements of a BK RH size 42 are as follows:
pit to pit 23 1/2"
shoulders 20 3/4"
back height 23 1/2"
sleeve 25 3/4"

Maybe someone else can fill in the waist size (of particular interest to yours truly) in addition to the front (storm flap) length.

I originally ordered a standard size 42 back in June, but I've not yet confirmed any specific measurements with them, so I'll prob go with something closer to a size 40. On that note, does anybody happen to have the measurements (including the waist) of a standard BK RH size 40??? I would be in your debt.

Ps- the BK team is on vaca until 8/25
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

also, shoulder seam, yoke, front, I'd even include waist. Or give them your actuals for chest and waist.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have one.....mine was the third one ever off the rack. They offered some adaptation if I felt I needed any but I was nervous about messing it with the pattern and all so I just asked for sleeve length of 25 inches. Aside from that, here are the measurements of a standard BK Relic Hunter in Straited Lamb.....
Size 40
I zipped it up and layer it flat on the floor....In inches with a flexible tailors tape....
Front storm flap without collar stand: 22
Center back w/o collar stand: 22 1/2
Literally pit seam to pit seam: 22
Across chest (pit to pit but no seams): 18 1/2
Sleeves: 25
Sleeve opening: 5 1/2
Shoulder opening: 10
Collar stand: 1
Collar: 3
Storm flap width: 1 1/2
Pockets: 6 1/4 X 7 3/4
Neck to shoulder w/o collar stand: 7
Yoke center: 4 3/4
Yoke edges: 3
Waist front: 18 1/2
Waist back: 20
Back flap panel top: 19
Back flap panel bottom: 15
Straps: 6 1/2
And I think that's it! :H:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Oh yeah, and just for comparison since it fits the topic, here is my Wested in shrunken lamb size 40 with 24 inch length and arms requested.....
Stormflap w/o collar stand: 21 3/4
Stormflap width: 1
center back w/o stand: 23 1/2
Sleeves: 23 3/4
Sleeve opening: 5 1/2
Sleeve opening at shoulder: 9
Collar stand: 1
Collar: 3
Pockets: 6 3/4 X 8
Front waist: 18
Chest literally pit to pit seam: 21
Pit to pit not seam to seam: 19
Yoke center: 5 1/2
Yoke sides: 3 1/4
Back panel top: 18 1/4
Back panel bottom: 15 3/4
Back waist: 19
Straps: 9 1/2
And remember that the Wested has been thrown in the washing machine and beaten hard so some shrinkage should be considered. The Kelso has not been completely soaked only lightly misted with a spray bottle but it doesn't really need it so I stopped but it too has been beaten within inches of its life! :whip:
So there you go....All the stats....do as you will!
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

GORAK!! Thanks much, man! Your enthusiasm and feedback on this forum are always fantastic.
If you don't mind my asking, what is your actual chest measurement, and how do you find the fit of the BK specifically in that regard? I'm just about exactly 41" myself, so I'm debating whether I'd want an extra 3" of space, or an extra 6". I tend to prefer a trim fit, just not sure if that's too trim!

It's interesting that the 40 provides for an extra 4" of space in the chest, while the 42 has 5". Also, I hadn't anticipated that the front waist width would be (so) different from the back! All part of the pattern I guess!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I'm in the same boat as bobbyd. I have a 42.75" chest, so I don't know whether or not to go with a 42 or a 44

:TOH:

Kyle
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

go for sctual. get them to custom fit you.
_Zoltar_
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by _Zoltar_ »

I'll add my current experience... Just posted in another topic, but might be useful here too.

So I'm in the process of trying to get a Wested Hero that fits, the second attempt arrived today. Both the first and second Hero were size 42, the first one fit in the chest and measured pit to pit at 23 inches, however the second one (that I made changes to back/arm length) measure pit to pit at 24 inches... I'm swimming in the new jacket, even though the first one fit...?

I measure the same way as Gorak. Zip it up, lay it flat, and measure from side seam to side seam where it meets the bottom of the arm pit.

I have an email out to Rebecca, I'll be sure to update with her reply.
_Zoltar_
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by _Zoltar_ »

As posted in the other topic:
_Zoltar_ wrote:Ok, so long story short, the jacket is fine. This morning the size 42 measures at about 22.5 seam to seam!

Short story long, I took it out of the box, tried it on to check arm/back length was right, then wanted to get started on the fun part... I wet the leather to form the arms, collar, etc. I wore it around and started to realize it felt really big. It was damp, but not wet when I measured and it was 24 inches. The leather had stretched/swollen when it was wet, but it's completely dry now and it is back to fitting great! So a 42 out of the box = 23, a wet 42 = 24, a wet/dried 42 = 22.5 inches. I never would have thought it would change THAT much when damp.

I hadn't received a reply yet, as they have the 48 hour turnaround, so I sent a follow up with another pic explaining that everything was ok. I'm about to head out of town, but I plan on writing up a review of my experience with ordering a Hero. The type of post I wish I could have read before ordering, so hopefully it will help others.

I'd like to end this by saying that the customer service with Wested is really pretty great. I get the impression that they really want to deliver a product that you are happy with and are willing to really work with you to get it right. I'll include more details in my review.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

In my case, is exactly the opposite :-k
Gorak wrote:I second that IMO...Wested is a tad more "fitted" than the Kelso...especially in the underam side waist area.....I`m sure its pattern orientated and its very slight but you can definitely tell.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Who's _Zoltar_ ?
This could get confusing :-k I'm sat here thinking when did I ever have a 42!
_Zoltar_ wrote:As posted in the other topic:
_Zoltar_ wrote:Ok, so long story short, the jacket is fine. This morning the size 42 measures at about 22.5 seam to seam!

Short story long, I took it out of the box, tried it on to check arm/back length was right, then wanted to get started on the fun part... I wet the leather to form the arms, collar, etc. I wore it around and started to realize it felt really big. It was damp, but not wet when I measured and it was 24 inches. The leather had stretched/swollen when it was wet, but it's completely dry now and it is back to fitting great! So a 42 out of the box = 23, a wet 42 = 24, a wet/dried 42 = 22.5 inches. I never would have thought it would change THAT much when damp.

I hadn't received a reply yet, as they have the 48 hour turnaround, so I sent a follow up with another pic explaining that everything was ok. I'm about to head out of town, but I plan on writing up a review of my experience with ordering a Hero. The type of post I wish I could have read before ordering, so hopefully it will help others.

I'd like to end this by saying that the customer service with Wested is really pretty great. I get the impression that they really want to deliver a product that you are happy with and are willing to really work with you to get it right. I'll include more details in my review.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Zoltar wrote:Who's _Zoltar_ ?
This could get confusing :-k I'm sat here thinking when did I ever have a 42!
_Zoltar_ wrote:As posted in the other topic:
:-k We may need to have you guys fight over the name... who's got the bigger whip?

We used to do manual registrations and completely disallow similar names.
As things slowed down, and personal stuff picked up, we set registrations to automatic.
May need to revisit this...
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I have an OTR wested 42, and a bill kelso 44. They are very different fitting jackets. Especially since I don't think a 42 kelso would fit me very well. I wish I could trust someone to do an even trade though just to find out.

I like everything about the bill kelso over the wested except the sleeves. I understand there is clear evidence that some jackets had thicker/longer sleeves but as a personal preference I like the more fitted sleeves aesthetically. It's very awkward while wearing it to have a tight fit on the body and long loose fitting sleeves. Or, I could be just too fat with shorty arms?
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hello guys ! Size question about Kelso Vs Wested. I have a size 40 Kelso that became a bit tight in the chest (fooooooood)but Shoulders and sleeves lenght are perfect. I'm planning on ordering a Wested Hero, but i think a 40 will be too small. But i'm also afraid that 42 is top big. When ordering at Wested for a hero, it's not as easy as it is with Kelso, who ask a lot of question ans measurements. Wested only ask for Chest Back and sleeves. Can someone help me, it is driving me insane !
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Here is to illustrate my struggle. Image
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Can't offer much help for your predicament, but dang, that jacket looks great. Yes, it does appear tight in the chest, but pretty great looking nonetheless. Is that grainy lamb? I'd suggest measuring the chest on the Kelso, pit to pit, and just adding to it what you think you need. Tell Wested that you need a size 40 jacket, but with a pit to pit measurement of ___. They should be able to accommodate that.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Yes it is grainy ! Thanks for your help!